Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

This is so strange right now.  The season should be starting right now, but instead we have the draft this week.  Has the CHL said anything yet about their plans on when they'll play?  I'm still trying to figure out how that will factor into the transfer agreement and guys like Cozens and any potential pick this year being able to play in the NHL.

supposedly the Sabres have something interest in Nick Schmaltz from Arizona.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-bruins-key-players-oliver-ekman-larsson-market/

SABRES CENTRES

Speaking of Arizona, word is that Buffalo likes Coyotes centre Nick Schmaltz, who is signed for six more years at $5.85 million per.

Remember that the Sabres acquired Eric Staal last month to help shore themselves up down the middle.

There’s been a wild rumour that Buffalo asked the Rangers for the first overall pick and two young players for Jack Eichel, but we’re getting a lot of “things got nowhere near close to that” in response.

With Eichel’s 75 per cent bonus paid, it makes little sense for Buffalo to do it, and while I do believe the Rangers like the centre, I don’t believe they would do this.

Im ok with Schmaltz depending on the price. We need competent centers, but I’m not super high on him. He’s only broke 20 goals once. I think he’s ideally more of a #3C and $5.85M seems like a lot for a 3C. But he’s only 24 so I guess there’s still room for growth. 

It makes me nervous that Adams even talked about what he’d want in an Eichel deal. Eichel should be untouchable.

If they actually do trade him, I honestly might have to re-evaluate whether I’d want to continue being a sabres fan (though I’m not sure I could stop being a fan even if I wanted to...lol). I don’t see how you could win an Eichel trade. LaFreniere is nice and all, but he’s no Eichel. Those 2 young players better have been the NYR’s best 2 young players. You can’t trade Eichel unless it’s in a trade that legitimately makes the Sabres better and I’m not sure how you do that. Subtracting Eichel from this roster would be ugly AF. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

This is so strange right now.  The season should be starting right now, but instead we have the draft this week.  Has the CHL said anything yet about their plans on when they'll play?  I'm still trying to figure out how that will factor into the transfer agreement and guys like Cozens and any potential pick this year being able to play in the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new NHL season starts as late as some time in January, 2021.

was a bit surprised by this at first, but it’s only $400k over his qualifying offer. If he turns into a legit top 6-9 player in years 2 and 3 it could be a bit of a bargain.
Seeing this deal I’m guessing he’s likely penciled into the lineup Buffalo this season. 

could Reinhart be trade bait?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the new NHL season starts as late as some time in January, 2021.

I feel like I've heard the league (or maybe it was TSN) state that as a target date, but I could very well be making that up.  That timeline makes sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.