Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Inigo Montoya

The Draft is a total crap shoot...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Here are the first six picks of the 2017 Draft class.

 

1.1  Myles Garrett  DE Browns

1.2  Mitch Trubisky  QB Bears

1.3  Solomon Thomas  DE 49ers

1.4  Leonard Fournette  RB Jaguars

1.5  Corey Davis  WR Titans

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

 

Out of the first six picks at the top of the Draft that year, only Garrett and Adams have had their fifth year option exercised, and the Jets have Jamal Adams on the trade block right now. The other four have significantly underperformed their consensus Draft day projections.

 

Stefon Diggs was drafted in the 5th round, #146, in the 2015 Draft.  Who were the top three draft picks in 2015's Draft?  Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Dante Fowler.  What do those three have in common?  None of them had their 5th year option exercised either. 

 

I'd rather take a surefire NFL talent like Diggs than roll the dice with a college player with potential.  As long as this franchise doesn't need a QB, I'm fine with Beane trading our first round pick every year for a talent like Diggs who is locked up on a team friendly contract. 

 

 

 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty common knowledge. No such thing as a “sure thing”. Fred Jackson (undrafted) > CJ Spiller (top 10 pick)

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never heard that term used before

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

*Dante Fowler

 

And, yes I agree. People (not on this board but in the media) were getting all worked up because of what we gave up for Diggs. Based on where we were picking, I’ll take the proven commodity all day. Especially at a position of desperation and on a reasonable deal (comparatively speaking). 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

This is pretty common knowledge. No such thing as a “sure thing”. Fred Jackson (undrafted) > CJ Spiller (top 10 pick)

 

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

never heard that term used before

 

The point of my thread is that Beane's trade of the 1st round pick was the best use of that valuable draft capital.  The players/situations sited only provided context for my position.

 

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The problem with trading for players with team friendly contract is players often will often hold out feeling circumstances are changed and they deserve more money while those with contracts for those which are overpaid will rarely take pay cuts only restructure moving more money forward making them harder to cut later.

 

An even bigger problem is whiffing on a 1st round selection.

 

 

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

*Dante Fowler

 

 

Thanks Process, I fixed it 🙃

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nucci said:

never heard that term used before

💩🔫 ?

or

🎲🎲 ?
*
You can't find an actual firearm in my emojis.  🤔

 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Here are the first six picks of the 2017 Draft class.

 

1.1  Myles Garrett  DE Browns

1.2  Mitch Trubisky  QB Bears

1.3  Solomon Thomas  DE 49ers

1.4  Leonard Fournette  RB Jaguars

1.5  Corey Davis  WR Titans

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

 

Out of the first six picks at the top of the Draft that year, only Garrett and Adams have had their fifth year option exercised, and the Jets have Jamal Adams on the trade block right now. The other four have significantly underperformed their consensus Draft day projections.

 

Stefon Diggs was drafted in the 5th round, #146, in the 2015 Draft.  Who were the top three draft picks in 2015's Draft?  Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Dante Fowler.  What do those three have in common?  None of them had their 5th year option exercised either. 

 

I'd rather take a surefire NFL talent like Diggs than roll the dice with a college player with potential.  As long as this franchise doesn't need a QB, I'm fine with Beane trading our first round pick every year for a talent like Diggs who is locked up on a team friendly contract. 

 

 

 

 

Trubisky and Thomas were overdrafted. Said that at the time. Fournette's issues are as much off field as on. The one I am genuinely really surprised hasn't been a success is Corey Davis. I had a really high grade on him and I have liked him when I have seen him play in the NFL too. Not really sure what the issue has been and he has been nicked up some. He is the kind of player who I would not be surprised to see go somewhere else and suddenly pop. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. WEO said:

This just in...

 

 

This just in... 

 

Mr. Weo eats glue.

  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Thanks Process, I fixed it 🙃

Right on 👍. Innocent mistake. It happens and I’m not usually that guy. 

  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

 

 

This just in... 

 

Mr. Weo eats glue.


How’s 2016 doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

 

 

This just in... 

 

Mr. Weo eats glue.

The really bad stuff?  Or just the white paste that most of us snacked on in grade school?

  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The really bad stuff?  Or just the white paste that most of us snacked on in grade school?


Testors Modeling Cement...huffed.

  • Haha (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. WEO said:


Testors Modeling Cement...huffed.

DAY-um.  Mofo's hardcore, Holmes.  :flirt:

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Indigo I think the TBD crew pretty well reached a consensus on this right after Beane pulled the trigger on this trade.

 

Getting that 7th round pick solidified the deal for most ;) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and watson who was a superstart and was a victim of maybe too much success if there is such a thing falls hard.  guy should have gone to anyone in the top 6

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always take the proven veteran over the unproven draft prospect. Always. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Here are the first six picks of the 2017 Draft class.

 

1.1  Myles Garrett  DE Browns

1.2  Mitch Trubisky  QB Bears

1.3  Solomon Thomas  DE 49ers

1.4  Leonard Fournette  RB Jaguars

1.5  Corey Davis  WR Titans

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

 

Out of the first six picks at the top of the Draft that year, only Garrett and Adams have had their fifth year option exercised, and the Jets have Jamal Adams on the trade block right now. The other four have significantly underperformed their consensus Draft day projections.

 

Stefon Diggs was drafted in the 5th round, #146, in the 2015 Draft.  Who were the top three draft picks in 2015's Draft?  Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Dante Fowler.  What do those three have in common?  None of them had their 5th year option exercised either. 

 

I'd rather take a surefire NFL talent like Diggs than roll the dice with a college player with potential.  As long as this franchise doesn't need a QB, I'm fine with Beane trading our first round pick every year for a talent like Diggs who is locked up on a team friendly contract. 

 

 

If the draft is a total crap shoot, then scouting doesn't matter and teams should be able to just pick a random person off the street to be the GM.

 

Also, the best strategy would be to continually trade down until you have stockpiled dozens of selections in the 6th-7th Round.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Always take the proven veteran over the unproven draft prospect. Always. 

That was inscribed on the third tablet, Commandments 11-15.  Thanks, Moses.  🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...