The Draft is a total crap shoot...

45 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So I am going to say we did not do that in all the beane drafts

when we took josh Allen and Edmunds we were def taking them on the upside of what they can be

in other drafts like with Oliver I felt we went with what the strength of the draft was

in this last draft I felt they had every position covered so well that they let the best available decide the player but still came out with three wide receivers counting diggs

I disagree on Edmunds. He was very very likely to be excellent. His floor wasn't low.

Allen ... yeah, fair enough, probably. You have to take risks with a QB. They don't come around as often as you'd like, and when they do, you have to grab one.

Besides, how many QBs DON'T have low floors. Very very few. It's such a huge jump from college to pros that nearly anyone who's not named Luck or P. Manning can fail if they don't pick up skills they've never demonstrated at the college level and speed up their mental processing skills by huge amounts.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the Bills were in a position where they needed a number 1 receiver, not “a” receiver. They gave up the equivalent of pick 18 to get a number 1 on a team-friendly deal. The cost to move up for one of those potential #1’s was greater than Diggs. This trade is a no-brainer in the situation that the Bills were in. 

How long will it be a team-friendly deal? If we don't win a Super Bowl and Diggs gets angry with a lack of production and threatens a holdout, what will happen? We don't know how team-friendly this deal will be. It's friendly as hell now, it's mega-amicable, super-affable, ultra-cordial, hell, it's downright team-intimate and team-matey. But for how long?

How much of a diva will Diggs end up being?

This wasn't a no-brainer at all. I'm sure they thought pretty hard about it. It could still go either way, IMO.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You don’t get the benefit of hindsight while drafting. You do get the benefit of a resume though when trading for Diggs. 

You also get a player with more miles and in many cases a shorter contract, or am I dreaming this?

Maybe we should trade away our #1 every season, right? I mean look how well it worked in 2017!!! 

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You also get a player with more miles and in many cases a shorter contract, or am I dreaming this?

Maybe we should trade away our #1 every season, right? I mean look how well it worked in 2017!!! 

You are right Bill but the joy of the Diggs trade is he is only 26. He has four years on his contract at below market rate for a player of his ability and with no dead money at all after 2020. It gives the Bills real flexibility. Sure, he is still more expensive than a rookie would be but the Bills have accepted that they are paying $10m a year more for that known quantity - because they need a number 1 right now, not in 2 years. 

I am generally in agreement with you Bill that trading away your 1st rounder for vets is not a sustainable long term strategy but I think this deal was a very specific set of circumstances where it made sense.

• Like (+1) 5

Diggs my guess was worth it.  We now have every weapon we need for a strong offense and the X factor is Allen.  I certainly hope and am cautiously optimistic he’ll deliver this year.  If he does then the trade was completely worth it.  Beane in his wisdom even picked up Diggs for a modest contract comparatively for an elite WR.  $11.5-12 mil. Per year for the next three years.  Even if we renegotiate in a year or two, we saved comparatively to a Julio Jones contract.

To the OP’s point on the draft a crap shoot, just consider Diggs was a 5th round pick.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Diggs my guess was worth it.  We now have every weapon we need for a strong offense and the X factor is Allen.  I certainly hope and am cautiously optimistic he’ll deliver this year.  If he does then the trade was completely worth it.  Beane in his wisdom even picked up Diggs for a modest contract comparatively for an elite WR.  $11.5-12 mil. Per year for the next three years.  Even if we renegotiate in a year or two, we saved comparatively to a Julio Jones contract.

To the OP’s point on the draft a crap shoot, just consider Diggs was a 5th round pick.

Next offseason they will do something with the Diggs contract IMO. He has no guaranteed money after this year. So he will be hankering for a new deal and the Bills will have useful leverage to get away without increasing his cap number too much by simply turning some of that unguaranteed money into guaranteed money. There is sufficient incentive on both sides to come to an arrangement given the way his current deal is constructed. It is why it was such a great trade. You not only get a high end player at a position of need you also get as team friendly a contractual situation as it is possible to inherit.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How long will it be a team-friendly deal? If we don't win a Super Bowl and Diggs gets angry with a lack of production and threatens a holdout, what will happen? We don't know how team-friendly this deal will be. It's friendly as hell now, it's mega-amicable, super-affable, ultra-cordial, hell, it's downright team-intimate and team-matey. But for how long?

This wasn't a no-brainer at all. I'm sure they thought pretty hard about it. It could still go either way, IMO.

The new CBA makes it virtually impossible to hold out. If you are gone for 5 days you lose an accrued season. Players will see substantially bigger fines for holding out and under the new CBA the team cannot waive that fine when the player shows up. So your concern isn’t applicable under the new collective bargaining agreement. They will probably try to extend him in a couple of years but the ball is in the team’s court now.

I really don’t think that the Bills spent much time thinking this over. Beane talked about the need for someone to walk in the door ready. He also talked about not being able to get high enough in the draft to get one of those guys. He tried to trade for Diggs during last season and now was able to get him. The Bills love the player. The Bills had a desperate need at the position. The Bills didn’t have the ability to get a comparable player in the draft for the same assets. He’s on an extremely team-friendly deal. I really don’t understand why people think this was difficult? If he had a shot at the top 3 maybe he would have rolled the dice but he knew that he couldn’t get one of them for the cost of the 18th pick.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

If your only real need is a number 1 wide receiver you should not hesitate to trade away the equivalent of pick 18 for a number 1 receiver. This holds especially true if said receiver is 26 years-old and on one of the best contracts in football for 4 more years. 

Each decision is different. KC traded their first round pick last year for a player and won the Super Bowl. They had a need and filled that need with a proven commodity.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The new CBA makes it virtually impossible to hold out. If you are gone for 5 days you lose an accrued season. Players will see substantially bigger fines for holding out and under the new CBA the team cannot waive that fine when the player shows up. So your concern isn’t applicable under the new collective bargaining agreement. They will probably try to extend him in a couple of years but the ball is in the team’s court now.

I really don’t think that the Bills spent much time thinking this over. Beane talked about the need for someone to walk in the door ready. He also talked about not being able to get high enough in the draft to get one of those guys. He tried to trade for Diggs during last season and now was able to get him. The Bills love the player. The Bills had a desperate need at the position. The Bills didn’t have the ability to get a comparable player in the draft for the same assets. He’s on an extremely team-friendly deal. I really don’t understand why people think this was difficult? If he had a shot at the top 3 maybe he would have rolled the dice but he knew that he couldn’t get one of them for the cost of the 18th pick.

As I said above I think the thing that likely happens next summer is they give him some up front money. Maybe in exchange for him giving them an extra year. They don't need to pay him a lot more. They just need to turn some of that salary into guaranteed signing bonus. After next season there is 3 years and about $38m left on Diggs's deal with $0 guaranteed. If I am the Bills I am willing to say okay we will match that $12.5m average for the next three years for a 4th year, so he is then owed about $50m over 4 years and you give him $15m of that upfront in amortised signing bonus and guarantee his entire 2021 salary. That means instead of a possible $38m Diggs has a guaranteed $27.5m and with another $22.5m possible. You are a brave agent if you tell Stefon Diggs to leave that guaranteed money on the table.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As I said above I think the thing that likely happens next summer is they give him some up front money. Maybe in exchange for him giving them an extra year. They don't need to pay him a lot more. They just need to turn some of that salary into guaranteed signing bonus. After next season there is 3 years and about $38m left on Diggs's deal with $0 guaranteed. If I am the Bills I am willing to say okay we will match that $12.5m average for the next three years for a 4th year, so he is then owed about $50m over 4 years and you give him $15m of that upfront in amortised signing bonus and guarantee his entire 2021 salary. That means instead of a possible $38m Diggs has a guaranteed $27.5m and with another $22.5m possible. You are a brave agent if you tell Stefon Diggs to leave that guaranteed money on the table.

You are probably right. I didn’t look up The specifics of his contract but that would make sense. It would be a great goodwill gesture even without the extra year (although I’d prefer it). That’s the kind of thing good organizations do.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2020 at 6:12 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Here are the first six picks of the 2017 Draft class.

1.1  Myles Garrett  DE Browns

1.2  Mitch Trubisky  QB Bears

1.3  Solomon Thomas  DE 49ers

1.4  Leonard Fournette  RB Jaguars

1.5  Corey Davis  WR Titans

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

Out of the first six picks at the top of the Draft that year, only Garrett and Adams have had their fifth year option exercised, and the Jets have Jamal Adams on the trade block right now. The other four have significantly underperformed their consensus Draft day projections.

Stefon Diggs was drafted in the 5th round, #146, in the 2015 Draft.  Who were the top three draft picks in 2015's Draft?  Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Dante Fowler.  What do those three have in common?  None of them had their 5th year option exercised either. 

I'd rather take a surefire NFL talent like Diggs than roll the dice with a college player with potential.  As long as this franchise doesn't need a QB, I'm fine with Beane trading our first round pick every year for a talent like Diggs who is locked up on a team friendly contract. 

that ignores the cap implication. 

You could, in theory, sign a good player and take the draft pick still instead of trading for the good player.

that said, I’m still not terribly opposed to trading high picks. Just cap is a cost most don’t consider in the equation 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So I am going to say we did not do that in all the beane drafts

when we took josh Allen and Edmunds we were def taking them on the upside of what they can be

in other drafts like with Oliver I felt we went with what the strength of the draft was

in this last draft I felt they had every position covered so well that they let the best available decide the player but still came out with three wide receivers counting diggs

I don't think you're correct about Allen and Edmunds.   You're looking at it from the typical fan's perspective (and my typical perspective, too).    The conventional wisdom was that Allen had a high ceiling and a low floor, that is, that he had bust potential. 

I don't think McBeane saw it that way.   When you listen to them talk about their due diligence on Allen, it became clear that they developed a very high level belief that Allen did not have the big bust potential that the media kept reporting.   They liked him because he's smart, he had a high Wonderlic score, he was intensely competitive, he was a hard worker, and he had demonstrated leadership capabilities.   That's what McBeane look for and, for example, they saw that stuff more in Allen than in Rosen.   They sounded genuinely excited to get Allen; in fact, they sounded like Allen was their first choice of all the QBs in the draft.   They didn't think they were reaching. 

And I think they saw the same things in Edmund.   

So, yeah, sure, from our perspective, we thought McBeane were going for the fences with those picks, but I don't think they did.   They knew what they wanted and they went for it.   The proof's in the pudding, and so far you have to agree those were solid picks.   The only difference between us and McBeane is that they knew they were solid picks on draft night - for us it took a couple of years.  

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

A crapshoot is something that has an unpredictable outcome, according to Merriam-Webster.

The draft as a whole is anything but unpredictable.

Every single year in history more first-rounders stick and become good than fourth rounders. It isn't unpredictable by any means. The higher up you go, the better your odds.

Is it difficult? Yeah, you bet. But out of the six cited players:

1.1  Myles Garrett  DE Browns

1.2  Mitch Trubisky  QB Bears

1.3  Solomon Thomas  DE 49ers

1.4  Leonard Fournette  RB Jaguars

1.5  Corey Davis  WR Titans

1.6  Jamal Adams  S Jets

... you've got four excellent players, Those are good odds. Yeah, some fifth-year options haven't been exercised, but that's not a draft issue. It's a multi-factorial decision, involving cap space, injuries, motivation of the player, who else you've got at the position, how valuable the position is and a ton more.

I agree with your take on drafting.   Collectively, the GMs find the right players and draft them high.   Sure, there are exceptions, because it isn't easy, and it isn't possible to get them all right.  

Except for QB, I think it's more important not to miss in the first round than it is to get the best player on the board.  Of the guys left on the board, if your GM takes one of the top 5, you're okay.   Sure, he'll miss a JJ Watt occasionally, but that isn't the end of the world.   What hurts is to miss, one of those top 5, to take a guy in the first who busts or turns out only to be a fourth round talent.   Those misses kill you, because the first round is your best opportunity to add good talent.   

That's why I think the Diggs trade is fine.   They traded an 18 overall for Diggs.   He's not a fourth-round talent.   He's a very low probability bust.   He's very likely to be a guy you'll be happy to have in you lineup for four or five years.   That means they didn't miss with their first round pick, and that's all I ask. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I thought their strategy was to draft pure BPA regardless of ???. Drug use and domestic violence certainly seem like a secondary concern to Reid. Perhaps it’s him trying to “save” guys after what happened with his son. No clue, but they have a lot of talent with off field issues or odd personalities. 

Hunt got kicked off the team in the middle of a Super Bowl run for pushing a girl who got in his face.  Tyreek didn’t do any of the stuff he was accused of.  He has full custody of all of his kids.  The woman who accused him (same woman both times) has no custody of them.  She’s a gold digging psychopath.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I disagree on Edmunds. He was very very likely to be excellent. His floor wasn't low.

Allen ... yeah, fair enough, probably. You have to take risks with a QB. They don't come around as often as you'd like, and when they do, you have to grab one.

Besides, how many QBs DON'T have low floors. Very very few. It's such a huge jump from college to pros that nearly anyone who's not named Luck or P. Manning can fail if they don't pick up skills they've never demonstrated at the college level and speed up their mental processing skills by huge amounts.

Geez, get a room with your half empty glass

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

Hunt got kicked off the team in the middle of a Super Bowl run for pushing a girl who got in his face.  Tyreek didn’t do any of the stuff he was accused of.  He has full custody of all of his kids.  The woman who accused him (same woman both times) has no custody of them.  She’s a gold digging psychopath.

Agreed... I heard the horror stories about what happened, then saw the video. Maybe the telephone game isn’t the best way to relay info. And that massive kick, that tapped her butt... was not really what people made it out to be. But, at the height of the ‘me too’ movement, just being a guy was fault enough. Especially a pro athlete. 

1 hour ago, Billl said:

She may be a “gold digging psychopath”. However, the fact that he kept banging her is indicative of poor decision making, especially when he was looking at NFL money. My comment wasn’t solely based upon Hill and Hunt though. It’s about Reid’s perpetual affinity for playing with fire in the form of reclamation projects going back to the Eagles. As for Reid’s time with the Chiefs.... Frank Clark and Justin Cox had DV incidents in college. There’s also Roy Miller, etc. and that’s not including the non-domestic violence issues like Brashaud Breeland. Since Reid has been HC there the team has had more off field incidents than every team except the Dolphins and the Browns - who have both been woefully dysfunctional. Perhaps it’s just a Chiefs problem though. I mean the year before Reid arrived Belcher killed his girlfriend then drove to the Chiefs practice facility and shot himself in the head in front of Scott Pioli. ?‍♂️. My point though is.... 

Keep playing with Fire and eventually you get burned. They take a lot of chances to maximize talent. It works, but there are drawbacks. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Color me shocked on Corey davis

has every tool to be a number one but somehow is not

Regardless of how talented a WR is... he is ALWAYS going to under-perform without a good QB throwing him the ball.

Marcus Mariota looks like an NFL backup.  And for all the hype Ryan Tannehill got last year, his play was definitely more on the game-manager end of the spectrum.  The Titans did not have an explosive passing offense, and was clearly a Derrick Henry run-first strategy. 

As the year progressed, AJ Brown also became the #1 target in the limited attack they did have.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:13 AM, GunnerBill said:

Next offseason they will do something with the Diggs contract IMO. He has no guaranteed money after this year. So he will be hankering for a new deal and the Bills will have useful leverage to get away without increasing his cap number too much by simply turning some of that unguaranteed money into guaranteed money. There is sufficient incentive on both sides to come to an arrangement given the way his current deal is constructed. It is why it was such a great trade. You not only get a high end player at a position of need you also get as team friendly a contractual situation as it is possible to inherit.

I agree that OBD may redo aspects of his contract but just saying Diggs get 3.3 Million guaranteed in 2021 in March.

Your points will get stronger once Diggs has time to see how well he fits.

It seems to me if Diggs and Allen are tearing it up in 2021 then 2022 would be a good time to extend his contract.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree that OBD may redo aspects of his contract but just saying Diggs get 3.3 Million guaranteed in 2021 in March.

Your points will get stronger once Diggs has time to see how well he fits.

It seems to me if Diggs and Allen are tearing it up in 2021 then 2022 would be a good time to extend his contract.

Yep. Before that the Bills could cut him for $0.