Jump to content
Chandler#81

Football in a pandemic era. It’s been done before..

Recommended Posts

50,000,000 people died in 1918.  The lesser quarantined cities had the greatest deaths.  Still think we should have 80,000 people in New Era in the field in September.  Thanks for sharing Chandler.

That was only for the minority thinking there should be no restrictions which again is the significant minority.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Objective thinking is pretty difficult on this issue if being a football fan and especially a Bills fan is important to you. We are likely to be inherently biased towards the outcome we so badly desire. Not meant as a criticism of anyone, just an observation. Its kinda like judging a skating routine when your daughter is a contestant. Hard times, hard choices.    

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Objective thinking is pretty difficult on this issue if being a football fan and especially a Bills fan is important to you. We are likely to be inherently biased towards the outcome we so badly desire. Not meant as a criticism of anyone, just an observation. Its kinda like judging a skating routine when your daughter is a contestant. Hard times, hard choices.    

This is really true.

 

I find that the Bills being able to play this year is a little consuming for me.  As a fan, I've basically waited 20 years for this season.  I've endured a lot (fan-wise) to get to a point where a division rival that has owned us is suddenly vulnerable, and our own team is finally built to contend. I want badly to see the script flipped, asap - to sweep the Pats and to take the division, and go on a deep playoff run. All to hopefully bury the demons that have built up over the years.

 

I look at everything else that's going on, and of course feel sort of petty for making sports and the Bills such a priority.  But it is what it is, as they say.

 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Objective thinking is pretty difficult on this issue if being a football fan and especially a Bills fan is important to you. We are likely to be inherently biased towards the outcome we so badly desire. Not meant as a criticism of anyone, just an observation. Its kinda like judging a skating routine when your daughter is a contestant. Hard times, hard choices.    

It's a fair point, but for the record, I could really use the distraction of football, plus this being the season football is not played would be such a Bills thing. Also, I'd really love to go to a game, either near me when they come to play the Jets, or going up to Buffalo to meet up with old friends. That being said, I want them to go as slow as they have to in order to ensure safety. The Spanish flu flared up when people thought they were in the clear too fast and much of the resurgence can be tracked to one parade in Philadelphia.

 

There's precedent for playing during a Pandemic, yes, but if you want to look at one of the bad outcomes, look at the 1919 Stanley Cup, where the flu ravaged the Montreal Canadiens, killing player Joe Hall 4 days after they canceled the deciding game, and manager George Kennedy two years later after never he never truly recovered, ending the year with no champion declared. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

life was more straightforward before vaccines.  Or antibiotics. Or vents and intensive care.  

 

You just dropped dead..

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The "Hong Kong Flu" pandemic in 1968 killed 100,000 people in the US.

 

In 1957 the "Asian Flu" killed 116,000 people in the US.

 

Both significantly more than COVID-19 (so far) when you account for population growth.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Success said:

This is really true.

 

I find that the Bills being able to play this year is a little consuming for me.  As a fan, I've basically waited 20 years for this season.  I've endured a lot (fan-wise) to get to a point where a division rival that has owned us is suddenly vulnerable, and our own team is finally built to contend. I want badly to see the script flipped, asap - to sweep the Pats and to take the division, and go on a deep playoff run. All to hopefully bury the demons that have built up over the years.

Exactly. It’s the last vestige of the “things to look forward to” barrel for 2020.  Even a season with no fans at the games would be a big bright spot.

 

And it’s not selfish to hope for a season with fans at the game. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MJS said:

The "Hong Kong Flu" pandemic in 1968 killed 100,000 people in the US.

 

In 1957 the "Asian Flu" killed 116,000 people in the US.

 

Both significantly more than COVID-19 when you account for population growth.

 

Both of those pandemics had a global death rate below 1%.  Whereas COVID-19 currently has a global death rate of ~6%.  Can't just look at the total number of deaths.  The death rate is a more significant factor.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Success said:

This is really true.

 

I find that the Bills being able to play this year is a little consuming for me.  As a fan, I've basically waited 20 years for this season.  I've endured a lot (fan-wise) to get to a point where a division rival that has owned us is suddenly vulnerable, and our own team is finally built to contend. I want badly to see the script flipped, asap - to sweep the Pats and to take the division, and go on a deep playoff run. All to hopefully bury the demons that have built up over the years.

 

I look at everything else that's going on, and of course feel sort of petty for making sports and the Bills such a priority.  But it is what it is, as they say.

 

 

Yeah, I can think of A LOT of other years I’d rather have messed with! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Scariest part of COVID-19 isn't the actual virus it's that I've realized half the country doesn't trust the media and the other half doesn't trust the government.

 

This is very scary to me.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Scariest part of COVID-19 isn't the actual virus it's that I've realized half the country doesn't trust the media and the other half doesn't trust the government.

 

This is very scary to me.

 

The scariest part to me is how it seems like a lot of people are putting their own little selfish needs before the health of others.  For example, my neighbor here in Henrietta (suburb of Rochester) has about 15 cars worth of people at her (presumed) Memorial Day party.  I get that we all want to get back to normal, but the more people start to stray outside the lines, the more likely it would seem that we'll all have a longer lock-down, no live events (including the NFL), and continued quarantine misery.  Sucks.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there typically a bunch of 85 year old people in the stands at New Era? I hadn’t noticed many vans pulling into the stadium lots from local nursing homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Scariest part of COVID-19 isn't the actual virus it's that I've realized half the country doesn't trust the media and the other half doesn't trust the government.

 

This is very scary to me.

why is that scary?  Neither entity has done a whole lot recently to earn our trust...

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

why is that scary?  Neither entity has done a whole lot recently to earn our trust...

Why? Think about why it would be bad if people don't trust media or the government.

  • Confused 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

 

The scariest part to me is how it seems like a lot of people are putting their own little selfish needs before the health of others.  For example, my neighbor here in Henrietta (suburb of Rochester) has about 15 cars worth of people at here (presumed) Memorial Day party.  I get that we all want to get back to normal, but the more people start to stray outside the lines, the more likely it would seem that we'll all have a longer lock-down, no live events (including the NFL), and continued quarantine misery.  Sucks.

Freedom is a terrible mistress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

People quarantining themselves won’t eradicate the virus, it will only lessen the amount of sick people at the same time. If everyone went home and stayed apart until football season, there’s still no football season, because the virus still exists. We can’t quarantine the virus out of existence. 

Correct: We need to temper the eggs of society by mixing the virus into the population until it’s slowly reduced to a non crisis level. Viruses and germs are everywhere. It’s just that you don’t think about them because are bodies have an amazing immune system wonderfully designed to keep the species from being eradicated. It’s worked for thousands and thousands of years.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Freedom is a terrible mistress.

US is not free. There are freedoms. US citizens can't do whatever they want.

 

It's unbelievable to me that this discussion exists because of a health emergency. 

 

 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Scariest part of COVID-19 isn't the actual virus it's that I've realized half the country doesn't trust the media and the other half doesn't trust the government.

 

This is very scary to me.

Why would you trust the media? It's actual propaganda that's legal

 

All they do is try to push us further apart as human beings

 

Media has covered up and spread only the information they want out from Nazi Germany to USSR, People's republic of China, and the US media is no different

 

It's all propaganda

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct: We need to temper the eggs of society by mixing the virus into the population until it’s slowly reduced to a non crisis level. Viruses and germs are everywhere. It’s just that you don’t think about them because are bodies have an amazing immune system wonderfully designed to keep the species from being eradicated. It’s worked for thousands and thousands of years.

 

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Freedom is a terrible mistress.

 

Don't confuse freedom with selfishness.  Freedom to do what you want is your right...but it isn't someone's right to live their free life while endangering others.  Comparably...drunk driving....hey man....freedom!!!!

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Why would you trust the media? It's actual propaganda that's legal

 

All they do is try to push us further apart as human beings

 

Media has covered up and spread only the information they want out from Nazi Germany to USSR, People's republic of China, and the US media is no different

 

It's all propaganda

And why would anyone trust the government?   Most of which are self serving slime balls who will change their "beliefs" at the drop of a hat to stay in office and keep that sweet power.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Meh 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...