Football in a pandemic era. It’s been done before..

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This thread shouldn’t be on the main wall anymore. Honestly it never should of been. The fact it was and started by a mod is disappointing.

Why does it bother you? You’re welcome to ignore it. Do you yell at the mailman everyday when he puts junk mail in your box? Or, feel free to turn the dialogue back towards the Bills games. Do you think they should play in September?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why? Think about why it would be bad if people don't trust media or the government.

Is it because the Government has nukes and all we have is AR's, pistols and shotguns. So your saying the government doesn't care if you trust them or not, they will just Chernobyl your ass and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

19 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Both of those pandemics had a global death rate below 1%.  Whereas COVID-19 currently has a global death rate of ~6%.  Can't just look at the total number of deaths.  The death rate is a more significant factor.

Umm not even close to being accurate.

13 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Here ya go:  https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/

This is the US CDC for US cases and deaths.  Sits at about 5.9% or, as I said about 6%.  In my original post I quoted global data that I found through a simple Google search looking for "COVID-19 death rate".

The 1% is not accurate.  About 6 time too low.

Also, your link is 2 weeks out of date, AND a predictive model...NOT actual rate based on actual collected data.

This is based on people tested yet there is tons of data showing that many more people have the virus than actually tested literally showing little or no symptoms so the death rate is closer to 0.2-0.6%.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

In 1968 I had the Hong Kong Flu, it sucked.  Currently we are approaching 100,000.00 dead from Covid -19 and the deaths continue to tally, and will  eclipse the Asian flu in a month. Consider this, we are in a time with far better medical knowledge, so it would appear that Covid -19 is equally or more deadly than these other out breaks, and very likely worse. The time for the final count of Covid-19 deaths has yet to come.  Conservatively it will eclipsed 150,000.00 before this year is over. 

Several of my friends are Drs and nurses most deaths not all are from it 

Example older person dies in hospice care goes down as pneumonia family doesn't want otopsy goes down as cov 19

Sad but my Dr friends are being told to do just that

49 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Example older person dies in hospice care goes down as pneumonia family doesn't want otopsy goes down as cov 19

Bull crap. Being told by who?

14 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Here ya go:  https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/

This is the US CDC for US cases and deaths.  Sits at about 5.9% or, as I said about 6%.  In my original post I quoted global data that I found through a simple Google search looking for "COVID-19 death rate".

The 1% is not accurate.  About 6 time too low.

Also, your link is 2 weeks out of date, AND a predictive model...NOT actual rate based on actual collected data.

https://bit.ly/2XtnzF3

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, meazza said:

Umm not even close to being accurate.

Actually, very close.  Thanks for stopping by.  Read the whole thread.

1 hour ago, meazza said:

This is based on people tested yet there is tons of data showing that many more people have the virus than actually tested literally showing little or no symptoms so the death rate is closer to 0.2-0.6%.

Read the whole thread.  It has been stated over, and over, and over again that this is based on current data....which is all we have.  The original comment was in reply to other pandemics.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Actually, very close.  Thanks for stopping by.  Read the whole thread.

I read the whole thread and you're incorrect.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/health/cdc-coronavirus-estimates-symptoms-deaths/index.html

The CDC also says its "best estimate" is that 0.4% of people who show symptoms and have Covid-19 will die, and the agency estimates that 40% of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Give it a rest, MJS. No one understands your 1st post and it’s gone all downhill from there.

Anyhoo, wifee & I spent a couple hours at the beach today. Distanced ourselves sufficiently and -while we didn’t wear masks, had them nearby. The scene was unsettling. Many groups of 10 or more and a lot of them were seen mingling with other folks just walking by. 

I have a sinking feeling feeling about football in the Fall..

My first post was confusing? I listed two more pandemics, one in the 50's and one in the 60's, that had "football in a pandemic era", which was the topic of the thread.

I thought those would be a little more relevant than the 1918 pandemic (when considering pro football) since the other two are more recent and can be more easily compared to our situation today. The Green Bay Packers weren't even founded till 1919.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, meazza said:

I read the whole thread and you're incorrect.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/health/cdc-coronavirus-estimates-symptoms-deaths/index.html

Dude, I said the goddamned data is from the CDC, based on available data...not assumptions (even if those assumptions are from the CDC).  I have stated over and over again that the data I reported are based on available numbers.  I agree that at the end of the day, the death rate is likely to change as more cases are revealed (which I stated repeatedly in this thread).  I have responded to this enough.  What I presented, and the way I framed it, is correct (i.e. available data, with the notion that numbers could and likely would change).

22 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Thanks for the link.  I did see that report.  But again, what I presented are the DATA AT THIS TIME.  I could not have made that more clear.  I did not offer any predictions or theories (such as the CDC is doing in its report)...I just stated the data as it stands as of 5/24/2020 via the CDC website.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

A lot of the antibody testing data is pretty remarkable. COVID-19 could be the most infectious disease of all time, potentially spreading without 90% of people even showing symptoms.

I also find it really interesting that children are so unaffected. I know a few have gotten it, but by and large they don't. And a there is a lot of evidence that suggests that there are virtually no cases of a child transmitting the disease to an adult. Makes me wonder what it is about children that gives them such an immunity. I wonder if is a vaccine most get as a baby or toddler, but worldwide many children don't get vaccines, so that's probably not it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This thread shouldn’t be on the main wall anymore. Honestly it never should of been. The fact it was and started by a mod is disappointing.

It's top of mind stuff.  All of the other transaction & player development threads are fairly meaningless if the season is fully or partially cancelled.

Not sure why it wouldn't be on the main board.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, scuba guy said:

No offense intended, but I don’t believe that for a second. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Both of those pandemics had a global death rate below 1%.  Whereas COVID-19 currently has a global death rate of ~6%.  Can't just look at the total number of deaths.  The death rate is a more significant factor.

The true death rate actually lies between .1 - .01 6% is nothing but a scare tactic. It may spread more quickly than the flu, but it doesn’t kill at a higher rate....

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bull crap. Being told by who?

It’s not bull crap it’s a new CDC guide line on how to code the deaths. Look at the legislature  that forced Colorado to change how they report deaths now. It’s now nuanced to show those who died from and those who died with, big difference over 23% in Colorado, different in each state since the CDC bungled this.

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It’s not bull crap it’s a new CDC guide line on how to code the deaths. Look at the legislature  that forced Colorado to change how they report deaths now. It’s now nuanced to show those who died from and those who died with, big difference over 23% in Colorado, different in each state since the CDC bungled this.

You said doctors were being told to say deaths were coronavirus deaths when they weren't. To me that's bull. 

43 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The true death rate actually lies between .1 - .01 6% is nothing but a scare tactic. It may spread more quickly than the flu, but it doesn’t kill at a higher rate....

No, not really.  The true death rate based on current available data is about 6%.  It will likely change once more data is collected.  But right now that is the death rate based on currently collected and released data.