Buffalo Bills Embedded 2020 premiers 5/20

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He brought Conner here with him too. Although I wouldn't but the blame for Conner getting the nod entirely on Rex. If I recall they had just spent a draft pick on him (maybe even a 4th / 5th rounder?) and teams rarely cut those guys before at least giving them a year on the roster.

Then they should have cut the starting FB (Tony Richardson I believe)

Its like carrying two kickers. If you cant win with the one, why keep him?

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Then they should have cut the starting FB (Tony Richardson I believe)

Its like carrying two kickers. If you cant win with the one, why keep him?

Oh yea, I am not arguing it wasn't dumb. Just arguing it probably was as much the GM as Rex. And I am the last person to even defend Rex Ryan unnecessarily!!

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually think Bills would draw good ratings as people like underdogs and to the outside, we are seen as a scrappy underdog team.  So many people I know kept texting me last year during bigger games or just games they were watching for fantasy football reasons about how fun we were to watch, especially Allen.  I think in past years, no one would have cared...but Josh is a gamer and fun to watch as he can make a crazy play at any moment.  

Although I would prefer to see us do All or Nothing, I think Bills regime would not want a camera crew for a whole season with a young team and its not likely.  

But you made a good point about Bills controlling Embedded and not Hard Knocks.  But I think that has more to do with the team and FO than a fan.  I was talking fans were freaking out about Hard Knocks while also loving Embedded.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  

I just don’t know.  I think they would draw initial good ratings - especially from the Bills fan base, but I do not see these guys having any kind of sustained following because they seem so even keeled.  

It might be mostly because of what we see externally, but they seem like straight shooting leaders that are always talking to these guys - lots of teaching - even from McDermott and I think it would get old shortly for non-Bills fans.  

If it is not your team on Hard Knocks - you are looking for drama to boost your interest and I think these guys give you little of that.  Even the UDFAs get lots of teaching, feedback, and praise.  I think they would look good, but cheesy with lots of cliches.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Its like the anti Rex Ryan approach. I watched his hard knocks not too long ago and they were showing the final roster spot battle. It came down to John Connor, a backup full back with a cool nickname. And some little running back Danny Woodhead, who could catch it, run it, was elusive and always seemed to make a play.

Guess which one made the team and which one was signed by the evil empire a day later?

Well only one of those two was going to save humanity from the machines.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I love this series!  Glad its back!

Fascinating thing though:  I do always find it interesting how many of the people who were hard core against being on Hard Knocks saying it would be a distraction and cause all these issues.   A lot of people were against Hard Knocks, feels like more than half the board...yet this series seems to be mostly loved by everyone.  Not sure what the difference is for those people...

So I still hope the Bills make Hard Knocks one of these days personally, or even better, All or Nothing on Amazon Prime where they follow the whole season.  

I love this as well. I think the team prefers this platform because they can control the whole narrative. I would have to imagine Hard Knocks or All Or Nothing would be a bit more of a challenge. All Or Nothing would be a wet dream for me though I have to admit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I just don’t know.  I think they would draw initial good ratings - especially from the Bills fan base, but I do not see these guys having any kind of sustained following because they seem so even keeled.  

It might be mostly because of what we see externally, but they seem like straight shooting leaders that are always talking to these guys - lots of teaching - even from McDermott and I think it would get old shortly for non-Bills fans.  

If it is not your team on Hard Knocks - you are looking for drama to boost your interest and I think these guys give you little of that.  Even the UDFAs get lots of teaching, feedback, and praise.  I think they would look good, but cheesy with lots of cliches.

This is exactly what I think.

I know it was cut this way on purpose but I was surprised at just how honest they were in their pre-draft comments.  

About RB:  we need a guy who breaks tackle

drafted:  Moss - Moss may not have the same elite measurables as some of the other backs in this class, but he has a trump card we’ve seen translate again and again to the NFL — the dude breaks tackles. Whether it’s as a runner or as a receiver, Moss is a safe bet to be on his feet after first contact. In fact, Moss broke at least four tackles in each of the games in which he carried the ball at least 10 times, even though he played through injury for a portion of the year.  He had the third-highest single-season broken tackle per attempt average of any running back we’ve charted in our six years of doing college football, and as a receiver, he caught 66 career passes and forced 33 broken tackles after the catch. Those are insane figures that are a safe bet to continue in the NFL. At 5-foot-10 and 222 pounds, Moss has every-down running back potential.

About WR: we need a someone to catch the ball

drafted: Hodgins - Hodgins has a massive catch radius. While his body control isn't as ridiculous, he has large, strong hands and is not timid when needing to go up and get it. He rarely drops the football.

Gabriel Davis - Hands are strong with very few drops present. Routinely snatches it outside his frame with extension. Generally showcases strong high-pointing skills. Does well to establish his frame at the catch point despite not being overly dominant in contested situations. 

it might be nothing but I will be paying attention next year.

19 hours ago, TroutDog said:
19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I respectfully disagree...I could care less about dysfunction.  Sure, sometimes its a great story line to follow...but its not why I watch.  Antonio Brown was great to follow on there because the story was just nuts and HK gave us an inside look beyond just headlines and tweets.  But overall, I didnt love the Raiders on HK because of Brown, I loved watching Gruden and his staff, the young guys trying to make the roster, etc.  

Im just different...I bleed football, so I love the football in Hard Knocks and the guys fighting for spots.  Dysfunction is meh.  

19 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I agree with Alpha: I enjoy watching how the other coaches coach and how the management deals with their personnel: it’s intriguing. 

From last year, Gruden and his ‘Chucky’ persona is the antithesis to McD. That’s interesting to me. I’m not looking for dysfunction, I’m looking for how they do what they do. 

I think then for you guys the Bills would be ideal - your team and Hard Knocks would be forced to cover a ton of teaching and management speak.

I would enjoy that for the Bills as well, but I think many people watch to see the “stuff” hit the fan.  They don’t care about how well these guys train people up and my guess is McDermott would not want the cameras running during many of his team meetings as he talks about being the best version of you.

I think they would have to cut the clips in ways to make things more interesting for general fans because I think watching McDermott clap up and talk with these guys and build a team with personal bonds so they play for each other rather than themselves is just not compelling TV long term.  They wanted Cleveland for the dysfunction and the Raiders for AB gold and that is what they got - that drives viewers to see if Chucky or AB are going to lose it first and start swinging. 

I think and would hope the Bills would be boring TV, but lots of good fundamentals of football.

16 minutes ago, section122 said:

I know it was cut this way on purpose but I was surprised at just how honest they were in their pre-draft comments.  

drafted:  Moss - Moss may not have the same elite measurables as some of the other backs in this class, but he has a trump card we’ve seen translate again and again to the NFL — the dude breaks tackles. Whether it’s as a runner or as a receiver, Moss is a safe bet to be on his feet after first contact. In fact, Moss broke at least four tackles in each of the games in which he carried the ball at least 10 times, even though he played through injury for a portion of the year.  He had the third-highest single-season broken tackle per attempt average of any running back we’ve charted in our six years of doing college football, and as a receiver, he caught 66 career passes and forced 33 broken tackles after the catch. Those are insane figures that are a safe bet to continue in the NFL. At 5-foot-10 and 222 pounds, Moss has every-down running back potential.

drafted: Hodgins - Hodgins has a massive catch radius. While his body control isn't as ridiculous, he has large, strong hands and is not timid when needing to go up and get it. He rarely drops the football.

Gabriel Davis - Hands are strong with very few drops present. Routinely snatches it outside his frame with extension. Generally showcases strong high-pointing skills. Does well to establish his frame at the catch point despite not being overly dominant in contested situations. 

I love how with Davis they talk about his “playing speed”. They knew he was not going to run an elite 40, but film saw him get open over and over again on deep routes and double moves.  Hopefully that translate onto the field for us as they expect it to.

• Like (+1) 1

Can we now bury the revolting kneejerk narrative that Zack Moss was unhappy to come here on Draft night? Hated reading a lot of posts from fans judging him immediately because ESPN didn't have shots of him jumping up and down and crying. Some even blew it out of proportion and said that it looked like he had to be consoled. So much has come out since then that just makes those claims look ludicrous.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

think then for you guys the Bills would be ideal - your team and Hard Knocks would be forced to cover a ton of teaching and management speak.

I would enjoy that for the Bills as well, but I think many people watch to see the “stuff” hit the fan.  They don’t care about how well these guys train people up and my guess is McDermott would not want the cameras running during many of his team meetings as he talks about being the best version of you.

I think they would have to cut the clips in ways to make things more interesting for general fans because I think watching McDermott clap up and talk with these guys and build a team with personal bonds so they play for each other rather than themselves is just not compelling TV long term.  They wanted Cleveland for the dysfunction and the Raiders for AB gold and that is what they got - that drives viewers to see if Chucky or AB are going to lose it first and start swinging. 

I think and would hope the Bills would be boring TV, but lots of good fundamentals of football.

I agree that’s what most people want: Hard Knocks always go to lousy teams so that makes sense. ? 

I’m not opposed to watching dysfunction as there is something to learn from how any leader reacts to that, too. For me, however, I watch the show to see how people at the apex of their ‘business’ go about their day to day work and, to be honest, I’d rather watch a proven commodity. It’s that simple. The fact that it’s centered on football is a bonus. 

I appreciate your thoughts, thanks. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Can we now bury the revolting kneejerk narrative that Zack Moss was unhappy to come here on Draft night? Hated reading a lot of posts from fans judging him immediately because ESPN didn't have shots of him jumping up and down and crying. Some even blew it out of proportion and said that it looked like he had to be consoled. So much has come out since then that just makes those claims look ludicrous.

Bills fans have a divine right to prescribe the appropriate level of happiness from their draft picks. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, section122 said:

We've known it, but this episode removed all doubt.

Pay particular attention to who they interview at the combine when our pick is coming up.

i remember when sports came back after 9/11. It just lifted everyone's spirits after that gut punch. It didn't make everything okay again, but it was just something that we could all come together and enjoy. I just watched the Embedded show, and I can't wait now. Not to get all sappy, but the Bills have a "family" and we are all a part of it. Those kids can't wait to be NFL players in Buffalo. This corona virus thing has us all cooped up. I can't wait to show them what is like when we are all together and the stadium is rocking! Let's Go, Buffalo!

• 3 weeks later...