Aaron Rodgers speaking to reporters Friday

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brett Favre was a legend once too. The 2005 Packers drafted Rodgers over Roddy White and the Pack went 4-12. They should have drafted Roddy so they didn't hurt Brett's feelings and send him into retirement or demand a trade!

If Rodgers was considering retirement the pick and their draft as a whole would make more sense.  They can't release Rodgers until after the 2022 season without taking a massive dead money cap hit.  Favre considered retirement that offseason and didn't announce he'd come back until a month before the draft.  Nobody was surprised with that pick considering Rodgers fell to them when there was talk of him going at #1 overall.  

Let's say the best case scenario is Love takes over for Rodgers in 2023 and has a great season.  He'll then demand a massive contract extension and they're stuck trying to build a competitive roster being handcuffed by the big QB contract again.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good catch on losing Martinez and downgrading with Kirksey.  

Favre had taken a beating over his career at that point, and they had just lost their playoff game to the Vikings at home.  They didn't just come off a trip to the NFCCG.

And they might be tanking.  Their team is definitely worse than the once that was trounced in the NFCCG.  And again, Love doesn't help them at all this or probably even next year.

Closer to what?  A SB this year or next?  Nope.  In about 3 years when Love is ready to start?  Lots of things will be different by then.

If they think Rodgers has taken them as far as they can go, they should tear it down.  And judging by what they lost and didn't add, they probably will next off-season.

You didn’t see the beating they took in the NFCCG, huh?

They weren’t tanking. They are paying Rodgers a zillion dollars. They lost some decent FA’s and signed others to replace them. Rodgers cap hit doesn’t make it easy.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who knows if they could’ve won another SB with Favre if he had Roddy.  They made the playoffs the previous 4 years.  Then they drafted Rodgers, pissed off Favre and didn’t win another with him.  

Now they’re hoping that they hit lightning in a bottle again.....while they close the book on winning another Super Bowl with a legend.....and now have to deal with his crabby *$$.

time will tell.

So are you telling me they should have drafted Roddy and not Rodgers? 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

If Rodgers was considering retirement the pick and their draft as a whole would make more sense.  They can't release Rodgers until after the 2022 season without taking a massive dead money cap hit.  Favre considered retirement that offseason and didn't announce he'd come back until a month before the draft.  Nobody was surprised with that pick considering Rodgers fell to them when there was talk of him going at #1 overall.  

Let's say the best case scenario is Love takes over for Rodgers in 2023 and has a great season.  He'll then demand a massive contract extension and they're stuck trying to build a competitive roster being handcuffed by the big QB contract again.

They can get out of Rodgers contract next offseason. This is going to be his last year in GB.

Rodgers’ play has declined, he is an ass to every coach he’s ever had. He’s already clashing with his new coach, who took a 6 win team to a 13 win team. If you are working in GB, it’s easy to see why they are planning an Aaron Rodgers exit strategy.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Realistically, what could we get for Beasley and what player could work the slot like he does?

i had suggested Packers’ 2021 2nd rounder. Packers will be getting Beasley at a discounted rate salary wise (He has a front loaded contract - so Bills have already paid a big chunk) which they desperately need since they don’t have much cap room to work with.

Davis and Duke are the obvious slot replacements. Davis’ calling card is separation - not speed. And Duke played in the slot more than a third of the time last year even with Beasley on the team

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They weren’t tanking. They are paying Rodgers a zillion dollars. They lost some decent FA’s and signed others to replace them. Rodgers cap hit doesn’t make it easy.

So are you telling me they should have drafted Roddy and not Rodgers? 

They can get out of Rodgers contract next offseason. This is going to be his last year in GB.

Rodgers’ play has declined, he is an ass to every coach he’s ever had. He’s already clashing with his new coach, who took a 6 win team to a 13 win team. If you are working in GB, it’s easy to see why they are planning an Aaron Rodgers exit strategy.

I’m telling you that it’s possible the packers would have more Super Bowls than they currently have if they had drafted White.  But we’re talking about pretend again.  

I’m not seeing a potential out in the contract til after the 2021 season

again.  I’m not even advocating that the packers take a WR in rd 1.  That D that you were talking about getting thrashed, needs MLB and had Patrick Queen looking them in the face.  Then the ravens took him. The team that drafts better than everyone every year. 

of course his play has declined.  His WRs and TEs are terrible.  His OL is always getting injured.  He’s getting older. Tom Brady won multiple Super Bowls with declining play.  

We keep saying the same stuff as the other thread.  My final thought before I sign out of this thread:  I think Jordan Love is a nice prospect and could be a very good starter.  I don’t think he’s a good enough prospect to give up on Aaron Rodgers and close the door on his career as a packer.  I think he’s capable of winning another super bowl....

but that’s not really what this is all about.  I realize that all of that doesn’t mean much when the head coach can’t handle the QB.  When it’s all said and done, this isn’t about Rodgers vs Love.  It’s about Rodgers vs LaFluer.  

It’s just hard for me to pick LaFluer over AR at this point.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Are they a rookie QB away from the SB? 

The rookie QB is likely 2years away form starting so your question isn't as clever as you think.

Look, sure they could use another decent WR.  It won't make a difference.  Last year was a fluke.  Put Michael Thomas on that team right now and they still aren't going to the SB.

So they got their QB of the future at a relatively low price (are they going to be picking in the top 10 while Rodgers is still starting? No).

If the Packers make it to the NFCC again and  they lose, then those who are criticizing the Love pick might have some ground to stand on.  I'm not concerned that's going to happen.

Again, reasonable to fault them for not beefing up their WR room by other means.  But Tee Higgins this year doesn't have the value they believe Love has when Rodgers completely gives up.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m telling you that it’s possible the packers would have more Super Bowls than they currently have if they had drafted White.  But we’re talking about pretend again.  

I’m not seeing a potential out in the contract til after the 2021 season

again.  I’m not even advocating that the packers take a WR in rd 1.  That D that you were talking about getting thrashed, needs MLB and had Patrick Queen looking them in the face.  Then the ravens took him. The team that drafts better than everyone every year. 

of course his play has declined.  His WRs and TEs are terrible.  His OL is always getting injured.  He’s getting older. Tom Brady won multiple Super Bowls with declining play.  

We keep saying the same stuff as the other thread.  My final thought before I sign out of this thread:  I think Jordan Love is a nice prospect and could be a very good starter.  I don’t think he’s a good enough prospect to give up on Aaron Rodgers and close the door on his career as a packer.  I think he’s capable of winning another super bowl....

but that’s not really what this is all about.  I realize that all of that doesn’t mean much when the head coach can’t handle the QB.  When it’s all said and done, this isn’t about Rodgers vs Love.  It’s about Rodgers vs LaFluer.  

It’s just hard for me to pick LaFluer over AR at this point.  

Sure. I know you’re talking hypothetically, so am I. 

His post June 1st hit next offseason is quite reasonable. Cut or trade. I’m not saying their cap hit will be zero, but it’s affordable.

We really are treading water still on this lol.

I agree with you that it’s really LaFleur vs Rodgers. And we aren’t there behind closed doors. I think there’s an aspect of belief that Rodgers’ talent at this point in time doesn’t excuse his behavior. 5 years ago, LaFleur may have said “okay Aaron, we’ll do what you want.” But at this point in time, that organization is not playing softball with him anymore.

Rodgers is closer to an Alex Smith when the Chiefs got Mahomes. They are gambling on their next QB. We will see what happens.

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Might as well trade him at this point, the gm and coach got what they wanted which was a fresh start with their guy. Good luck fellas. Time to sink or swim. He should demand a trade. 

It's a 51 MILLION DOLLAR Dead Money hit.

He is not going anywhere and GB front office is making mistakes after mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sure. I know you’re talking hypothetically, so am I. Would you argue that taking Rodgers rather than building around Favre was the wrong move?

His post June 1st hit next offseason is quite reasonable. Cut or trade. I’m not saying their cap hit will be zero, but it’s affordable.

I would argue that Jordan Love is not going to be nearly as good as Aaron Rodgers.  

We’ll never know if they would’ve won if they had built around Favre.  If they hadn’t drafted Rodgers, they may have made different transactions altogether.   They may have won none.  They may have won 2 or 3.  If they would’ve won multiple SBs, than they have made a mistake.  If they didn’t win any, than they made the right choice.  I think ending Rodgers career as a packer in this fashion and with only 1 title is a huge let down if I’m a packer fan 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This time last season, you wouldn’t have said the Niners were a top 2 teams in the nfc.  Meaning:  your comment means nothing.  You have no idea, what their team would look like if they used that pick on Patrick Queen or and just drafted ONE WR.  We’re talking about pretend.  Not my thing.  

The only thing that I do know:  Drafting jordan love will have zero positive effect on them making the super bowl in the next two seasons.  

My stance on the drafting of love:   The FO signed themselves up for a headache.  A headache so painful that it will have enough of an effect on their 2020 season where they may not even make the playoffs. 

Why sign up for this headache when you have aaron Rodgers as your qb?  We aren’t talking about Andy dalton, Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It’s aaron Rodgers. An Aaron Rodgers that was just extended the previous year and is close to unmovable in a trade (from what I’ve gathered here). An Aaron Rodgers that was a win from making the super bowl last year.  An Aaron Rodgers that desperately needs better WRs.  An Aaron Rodgers that is extremely volatile.......and unmovable.  

They basically sabotaged themselves now they have to deal with this headache.  You can blame AR for being a crybaby, but AR was already part of the packers equation.  I’ll blame the GM that didn’t take into consideration who his Qb is.  An all time great playing well enough to win Super Bowls and is locked up for 3-4 year with a contract that can’t be moved.

A GM and coach that were gifted one of the best QBs ever.....can’t wait to see them win the SB without him.

Is that what you thought when they drafted Rodgers?  No, you didn't.  Why pretend it's shocking now?

And do you really think anyone in the Packers organization "didn't take into consideration who their QB is"??  That's a joke, right?  Of course they did----and that's why they drafted his replacement.  They know he's not long for this organization. 

"We’re talking about pretend.  Not my thing.  

The only thing that I do know:  Drafting jordan love will have zero positive effect on them making the super bowl in the next two seasons."

So, pretending to know the future is "not your thing", yet you "know" that Love will have zero impact on their chances at the SB in not just this year, but next year too? That's pretty funny.  How about this:  let's say Rodgers is injured again somewhere during either season and Love, his backup, comes in and wins every game he starts until Rodgers gets back on the field (you know, like the QB NE drafted to replace Brady did in their 2016 SB season).  Zero impact?  Or do you think Tim Boyle could do that right now?  Hint: the Packers don't.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re also the same guy who has crushed Reid for years and he just won a SB.  Why is it crazy to think a team in the NFC championship game with one good wr might win a SB with a receiver upgrade to one of the greatest qbs ever.  

GB is going to look back at some of the decisions they made and regret that didn’t win more SBs with one of the best QBs ever.  Dom Capers’ toupee. 

Everyone crushed Reid for years due to his playoff game buffoonery.  Overwhelming player talent finally surpassed his well known big game day struggles, so after 21 seasons and a billion regular season wins, many conference championship game appearances, he won a SB.  kudos.  Jon Gruden says "what took you so long?"

But yes, the Packers and Rodgers have zero SB appearances in 9 years...and they have had 6 seasons of 10 or more wins since then (including 2011 going 15-1 and getting crushed by the Giants in the Div game!)….but in THIS offseason, they will regret the decision to draft Rodgers's replacement as he enters the twilight of his career.

That's rich....

49 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I saw the beating.  They did nothing to improve their team and in fact allowed it to get worse.

And sure ARod's contract is large, but they could have moves to keep Martinez and still add players, like reducing Davante Adams' $12M base salary or David Bakhtiari's $10.5M salary.  And they could have drafted defense in the first round since that was an issue in that NFCCG.

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The rookie QB is likely 2years away form starting so your question isn't as clever as you think.

Look, sure they could use another decent WR.  It won't make a difference.  Last year was a fluke.  Put Michael Thomas on that team right now and they still aren't going to the SB.

So they got their QB of the future at a relatively low price (are they going to be picking in the top 10 while Rodgers is still starting? No).

If the Packers make it to the NFCC again and  they lose, then those who are criticizing the Love pick might have some ground to stand on.  I'm not concerned that's going to happen.

Again, reasonable to fault them for not beefing up their WR room by other means.  But Tee Higgins this year doesn't have the value they believe Love has when Rodgers completely gives up.

You're making my point for me.  Drafting Love doesn't help the team in any way, shape or form for at least 2 years, if not more.  And as we've seen, it has caused division.  A 1st round rookie WR, or LB or DE could help the team.  This isn't some team that got destroyed in the wildcard round at home, like in 2004.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I saw the beating.  They did nothing to improve their team and in fact allowed it to get worse.

And sure ARod's contract is large, but they could have moves to keep Martinez and still add players, like reducing Davante Adams' $12M base salary or David Bakhtiari's $10.5M salary.  And they could have drafted defense in the first round since that was an issue in that NFCCG.

You're making my point for me.  Drafting Love doesn't help the team in any way, shape or form for at least 2 years, if not more.  And as we've seen, it has caused division.  A 1st round rookie WR, or LB or DE could help the team.  This isn't some team that got destroyed in the wildcard round at home, like in 2004.

Wow, you’re very sure of things you can’t prove.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Wow, you’re very sure of things you can’t prove.

Huh?  The only thing I said there that I'm sure of is that Love won't help them for a few years.

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everyone crushed Reid for years due to his playoff game buffoonery.  Overwhelming player talent finally surpassed his well known big game day struggles, so after 21 seasons and a billion regular season wins, many conference championship game appearances, he won a SB.  kudos.  Jon Gruden says "what took you so long?"

But yes, the Packers and Rodgers have zero SB appearances in 9 years...and they have had 6 seasons of 10 or more wins since then (including 2011 going 15-1 and getting crushed by the Giants in the Div game!)….but in THIS offseason, they will regret the decision to draft Rodgers's replacement as he enters the twilight of his career.

That's rich....

Lol.  Everyone? 

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is that what you thought when they drafted Rodgers?  No, you didn't.  Why pretend it's shocking now?

And do you really think anyone in the Packers organization "didn't take into consideration who their QB is"??  That's a joke, right?  Of course they did----and that's why they drafted his replacement.  They know he's not long for this organization. 

"We’re talking about pretend.  Not my thing.  

The only thing that I do know:  Drafting jordan love will have zero positive effect on them making the super bowl in the next two seasons."

So, pretending to know the future is "not your thing", yet you "know" that Love will have zero impact on their chances at the SB in not just this year, but next year too? That's pretty funny.  How about this:  let's say Rodgers is injured again somewhere during either season and Love, his backup, comes in and wins every game he starts until Rodgers gets back on the field (you know, like the QB NE drafted to replace Brady did in their 2016 SB season).  Zero impact?  Or do you think Tim Boyle could do that right now?  Hint: the Packers don't.

Yes, I’m sure.  Talk to me in two years.

So I listened to the call. He didn’t give the media much to run with.

basically said he wants to play into in his forties and while he once thought playing his entire career With one team was the dream, he needs to be realistic and will support and help develop guys behind him on the depth chart. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

See above. 

It's not even that 15-1 team that went one and done in 2011.  Rodgers was all world that season: 45 TD passes on 6 INTs.....still got his azz bounced in one playoff game.  THAT Aaron Rodgers isn't walking through the door in September....

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Lol.  Everyone? 

Yes, I’m sure.  Talk to me in two years.

Everyone with access to a televised game I meant...