Aaron Rodgers speaking to reporters Friday

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They aren't a WR from the SB.  They had plenty of chances to find a WR in the vastness of the rest of the draft or in FA.  Taking Love did not hurt their chances of getting to the SB this year.  It just did not.  No matter who they get or would have had at WR for this year, they are not the top 2 NFC teams.  They need a much better defense. Their run game is mediocre.  

So I agree with your last 3 sentences.  But this was the worst 13-3 team last season and got embarrassed in every aspect of the game by SF in the NFCC game.  If you think that they were a rookie WR from the SB, then you would agree they should make it back to the NFCC game without one this year.

That's not going to happen.

Excellent point. No one will argue this point, but will definitely argue they should have taken a WR anyway to not hurt Rodgers’ feelings. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They aren't a WR from the SB.  They had plenty of chances to find a WR in the vastness of the rest of the draft or in FA.  Taking Love did not hurt their chances of getting to the SB this year.  It just did not.  No matter who they get or would have had at WR for this year, they are not the top 2 NFC teams.  They need a much better defense. Their run game is mediocre.  

So I agree with your last 3 sentences.  But this was the worst 13-3 team last season and got embarrassed in every aspect of the game by SF in the NFCC game.  If you think that they were a rookie WR from the SB, then you would agree they should make it back to the NFCC game without one this year.

Are they a rookie QB away from the SB? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’m not sure anyone is arguing that taking Jordan Love increases their ability to win a SuperBowl this year. 

He was a pick for the future. They are hoping they win a Super Bowl in the future with him. It worked for Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by FireChans

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I’m not sure anyone is arguing that taking Jordan Love increases their ability to win a SuperBowl this year. 

He was a pick for the future. They are hoping they win a Super Bowl in the future with him. It worked for Aaron Rodgers.

Love is obviously a pick for the future.  The question is whether the Packers have thrown in the towel on the SB chase considering all they did in FA was add a JAG like Funchess at WR, keep a washed-up Marcedes Lewis, downgrade at RT from Bulaga to Ricky Wagner, and add a LB who has played just 9 games the past 2 seasons in Christian Kirksey?

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This time last season, you wouldn’t have said the Niners were a top 2 teams in the nfc.  Meaning:  your comment means nothing.  You have no idea, what their team would look like if they used that pick on Patrick Queen or and just drafted ONE WR.  We’re talking about pretend.  Not my thing.  

The only thing that I do know:  Drafting jordan love will have zero positive effect on them making the super bowl in the next two seasons.  

My stance on the drafting of love:   The FO signed themselves up for a headache.  A headache so painful that it will have enough of an effect on their 2020 season where they may not even make the playoffs. 

Why sign up for this headache when you have aaron Rodgers as your qb?  We aren’t talking about Andy dalton, Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It’s aaron Rodgers. An Aaron Rodgers that was just extended the previous year and is close to unmovable in a trade (from what I’ve gathered here). An Aaron Rodgers that was a win from making the super bowl last year.  An Aaron Rodgers that desperately needs better WRs.  An Aaron Rodgers that is extremely volatile.......and unmovable.  

They basically sabotaged themselves now they have to deal with this headache.  You can blame AR for being a crybaby, but AR was already part of the packers equation.  I’ll blame the GM that didn’t take into consideration who his Qb is.  An all time great playing well enough to win Super Bowls and is locked up for 3-4 year with a contract that can’t be moved.

A GM and coach that were gifted one of the best QBs ever.....can’t wait to see them win the SB without him.

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Excellent point. No one will argue this point, but will definitely argue they should have taken a WR anyway to not hurt Rodgers’ feelings. 

I’d argue that they should’ve taken Patrick Queen.  He’d slot right in pettines scheme.  They got trounced by the Niners run game, then lost their best Lb and replaced him with a guy that has been injured 2 years in a row and a late round pick.  

I’d then argue that they should’ve taken a WR at some point considering it was such a talented WR draft and that their WRs suck other than Adams.  

Everyone cried that josh allen didn’t have anyone to throw to.  Why should Aaron Rodgers be any different?  Because he’s great?  He still needs more than 1 guy that can get open.  

Packers game plan:

1.)  Sign Aaron Rodgers to a four year massive contract extension impossible to get out of hampering your ability to acquire free agents and resign players.

2.)  Hire a head coach who's offense relies on the running game and isn't conducive to Rodgers free wheeling style of QB play.

3.)  Luck your way to the NFC Championship game and then do nothing in the draft to help the glaring areas of weakness on your team (DT, OT, WR)

4.)  Also, draft a 1st round QB that will create a constant media circus that will only be a distraction the next three years.  Then a 2nd round RB with two decent one's already on the roster.  Then a jack of all trades master of none FB/TE for some odd reason in a WR rich draft.

5.)  By the time Love is ready to take over he'll be ready for a new deal once again hampering your ability to acquire free agents and resign players.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bills have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL and plenty of cap space and you are trying to break it up?

As I explained - there is only one ball and only 55 roster spots. we just drafted two WRs and traded for one. And have not lost anybody of significance from last year. How can you find playing time for Diggs, Davis, Hodgins etc. without losing anybody? Actually the reasons I suggested Beasley were, among others, 

a. he is "less" valuable than Brown and Diggs

b. he has more market value than Duke / Davis etc. 

c. there are non-AFC teams with WR needs which we can exploit

d. Josh is working out with Hodgins, Davis, Diggs and Brown - but not with Beasley

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

Love is obviously a pick for the future.  The question is whether the Packers have thrown in the towel on the SB chase considering all they did in FA was add a JAG like Funchess at WR, keep a washed-up Marcedes Lewis, downgrade at RT from Bulaga to Ricky Wagner, and add a LB who has played just 9 games the past 2 seasons in Christian Kirksey?

Did the Packers throw in the towel when they drafted Rodgers? 

What are you arguing? That they are tanking now?

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

As I explained - there is only one ball and only 55 roster spots. we just drafted two WRs and traded for one. And have not lost anybody of significance from last year. How can you find playing time for Diggs, Davis, Hodgins etc. without losing anybody? Actually the reasons I suggested Beasley were, among others, 

d. Josh is working out with Hodgins, Davis, Diggs and Brown - but not with Beasley

Realistically, what could we get for Beasley and what player could work the slot like he does?

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Packers game plan:

1.)  Sign Aaron Rodgers to a four year massive contract extension impossible to get out of hampering your ability to acquire free agents and resign players.

2.)  Hire a head coach who's offense relies on the running game and isn't conducive to Rodgers free wheeling style of QB play.

3.)  Luck your way to the NFC Championship game and then do nothing in the draft to help the glaring areas of weakness on your team (DT, OT, WR)

4.)  Also, draft a 1st round QB that will create a constant media circus that will only be a distraction the next three years.  Then a 2nd round RB with two decent one's already on the roster.  Then a jack of all trades master of none FB/TE for some odd reason in a WR rich draft.

5.)  By the time Love is ready to take over he'll be ready for a new deal once again hampering your ability to acquire free agents and resign players.

giphy.gif

Rock and hard place with Rodgers IMO. Don’t extend him and lose him for nothing. Extend him, draft his replacement and move on in a few years. Then they win 6 games and they decide to accelerate the contingency plan.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If he’s “the guy” then they get a few years cheap which makes you an immediate contender and then another 10-15 for a window after.

i don’t think loves the guy but... if he is, hitting on that gets them closer than a WR would 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You’re also the same guy who has crushed Reid for years and he just won a SB.  Why is it crazy to think a team in the NFC championship game with one good wr might win a SB with a receiver upgrade to one of the greatest qbs ever.  

GB is going to look back at some of the decisions they made and regret that didn’t win more SBs with one of the best QBs ever.  Dom Capers’ toupee. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

And now they most likely closed the door on winning another SB with their legendary QB. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

And now they most likely closed the door on winning another SB with their legendary QB. 

Brett Favre was a legend once too. The 2005 Packers drafted Rodgers over Roddy White and the Pack went 4-12. They should have drafted Roddy so they didn't hurt Brett's feelings and send him into retirement or demand a trade!

39 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Who’s to say that Hodgins and Davis are good enough to contribute this year?  It took us long enough to build a very good WR unit....and before we even play a game, you want to break it up?  Ffs

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d argue that they should’ve taken Patrick Queen.  He’d slot right in pettines scheme.  They got trounced by the Niners run game, then lost their best Lb and replaced him with a guy that has been injured 2 years in a row and a late round pick.  

I’d then argue that they should’ve taken a WR at some point considering it was such a talented WR draft and that their WRs suck other than Adams.  

Everyone cried that josh allen didn’t have anyone to throw to.  Why should Aaron Rodgers be any different?  Because he’s great?  He still needs more than 1 guy that can get open.  

Good catch on losing Martinez and downgrading with Kirksey.  

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did the Packers throw in the towel when they drafted Rodgers? 

What are you arguing? That they are tanking now?

Favre had taken a beating over his career at that point, and they had just lost their playoff game to the Vikings at home.  They didn't just come off a trip to the NFCCG.

And they might be tanking.  Their team is definitely worse than the once that was trounced in the NFCCG.  And again, Love doesn't help them at all this or probably even next year.

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If he’s “the guy” then they get a few years cheap which makes you an immediate contender and then another 10-15 for a window after.

i don’t think loves the guy but... if he is, hitting on that gets them closer than a WR would 

Closer to what?  A SB this year or next?  Nope.  In about 3 years when Love is ready to start?  Lots of things will be different by then.

If they think Rodgers has taken them as far as they can go, they should tear it down.  And judging by what they lost and didn't add, they probably will next off-season.

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Brett Favre was a legend once too. The 2005 Packers drafted Rodgers over Roddy White and the Pack went 4-12. They should have drafted Roddy so they didn't hurt Brett's feelings and send him into retirement or demand a trade!

Who knows if they could’ve won another SB with Favre if he had Roddy.  They made the playoffs the previous 4 years.  Then they drafted Rodgers, pissed off Favre and didn’t win another with him.  

Now they’re hoping that they hit lightning in a bottle again.....while they close the book on winning another Super Bowl with a legend.....and now have to deal with his crabby *$$.

time will tell.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sure it’s a bit different. But we all watched Rodgers get spanked by a Super Bowl quality team twice last year. Flat out embarrassed. And he’s on the tail end of his career. 

The Packers regime today is not the same one from the last 5 years. They have a new HC and their new GM joined last year, when the Packers were terrible. 

So the Packers are cutting bait one year early rather than one year too late. That’s the NFL. Hell, they walked away from Favre when he still had some ability left, seeing as Brett still played at a high level in Minnesota.

The FO you are blaming got fired last year. This is a new FO.

Aaron for all his greatness QBed a team that won 6 games the year prior. 

You are welcome to disagree with their approach, but your way is hardly the only way.

Gutekunst and “the straw hat” haven’t played this right at all. They’re trying to play a middle ground and screwing the pooch. This is evidenced by cuckolding themselves with that massive extension. If they were going this route they should have let Rodgers play on the previous contract and traded him without the monstrous cap liability. The issue is compounded by poor drafting which has existed since Schneider left for Seattle. 

I have no issues whatsoever with drafting a QB early. The problem is that they went hard in FA for pass rush and let their offense dissipate while extending Rodgers. Love is going to need weapons as well, and with all the money allocated to those contracts they’re extremely limited. The only recourse would be trading Rodgers for an insane haul that makes the Mack compensation look like an appetizer.