Aaron Rodgers speaking to reporters Friday

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

2018 and no SB?  Blame it on Dee Ford for an incredibly stupid penalty that negated game winning INT.  Or blame it on Playoff Andy Reid who, watching his totally gassed D wilting under what was a 13 play OT NE drive, decided it was best to save his TO's for his 5th career Conference Championship losing locker room.

The 2019 Packers were a mirage.  After the bye, they went 6-2 including the playoffs.  Both losses (at the beginning and end of that stretch) were absolute beatings by the same team, the 49ers.

But of course, while watching the 49ers dismantle the Packers again after they had just run off 6 straight wins, you were thinking "this team really needs whichever WR is left for the 30th pick of the 2020 NFL Draft!".

Meanwhile, the Packers fairly new FO and HC are faced with an aging and slowing Rodgers who is still good enough to have them picking in the high 20's until he's gone and they have no replacement for him.  So they either pick Tee Higgins (for example) thinking "this is the SB piece we are missing to make the SB right now" or they are thinking "Tee Higgins isn't going to get us there right now--no first round pick is, in fact because there are multiple problems with this roster that one pick won't fix".  So they see their next QB who several mocks had slotted in the top 10 dropping to the bottom of the 1st and they spend a few peenies to get him at that bargain price.  Pretty simple.

No single player at the 30th pick was going to move their needle this year.  They could have helped themselves at WR or other positions after round 1, but they didn't do much there that's true.   T

Yeah, more points that illustrate it's not just the QB's numbers and perceived decline that determine a SB win.  And the fact of the matter is that, outside of Davante Adams, the Packers' WR's stink.  ARod gets the most out of them and that will be apparent if Love has to start anytime in the next couple years.  And again, Love does nothing for them, whereas any other pick could.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah, more points that illustrate it's not just the QB's numbers and perceived decline that determine a SB win.  And the fact of the matter is that, outside of Davante Adams, the Packers' WR's stink.  ARod gets the most out of them and that will be apparent if Love has to start anytime in the next couple years.  And again, Love does nothing for them, whereas any other pick could.

Somehow you don’t seem to understand that Love contributing this year is not the goal.

“Love won’t help them win a Super Bowl this year” is not a good argument, it’s a demonstration that you don’t understand longer term investment strategy. No GM makes every move with “how does this win me a Super Bowl this year.”

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

No one is perceiving that Mahomes is in decline with his numbers from last year.

True, a player who isn't playing can't do anything for them.  What did drafting Rodgers do for the Packers his rookie year?  This whole manufactured controversy would be slightly less ridiculous if Rodgers had not been drafted under similar circumstances by the very same team.

Packers WRs stink?  Scantling and Lazard didn't get tons of targets (mid 50's--less than 1/2 of Adams) and they still got over 450 yards each and 17.4 and 13.6 YPC.  Take away both of those guys and replace them with a Tee Higgins and let's say  he has a magical rookie year of 925 yards 61 catches and 5 TDs and what do you have?  A team that gets destroyed in 2 games 74-28 by the 49ers.

That's the math that the Packers HC and FO did, doc.  Don't even have to take off you shoes to do that kind of cipherin'.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one is perceiving that Mahomes is in decline with his numbers from last year.

True, a player who isn't playing can't do anything for them.  What did drafting Rodgers do for the Packers his rookie year?  This whole manufactured controversy would be slightly less ridiculous if Rodgers had not been drafted under similar circumstances by the very same team.

Packers WRs stink?  Scantling and Lazard didn't get tons of targets (mid 50's--less than 1/2 of Adams) and they still got over 450 yards each and 17.4 and 13.6 YPC.  Take away both of those guys and replace them with a Tee Higgins and let's say  he has a magical rookie year of 925 yards 61 catches and 5 TDs and what do you have?  A team that gets destroyed in 2 games 74-28 by the 49ers.

That's the math that the Packers HC and FO did, doc.  Don't even have to take off you shoes to do that kind of cipherin'.

Remember when the Pats got beat by the dominant Broncos in the playoffs, and they drafted Jimmy G in the second?

I don’t remember Tommy crying to the media that he wasn’t going to finish his career with the Pats.

Rodgers is and always has been a mental midget. He shares a ton of blame for not winning a second SB.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Somehow you don’t seem to understand that Love contributing this year is not the goal.

“Love won’t help them win a Super Bowl this year” is not a good argument, it’s a demonstration that you don’t understand longer term investment strategy. No GM makes every move with “how does this win me a Super Bowl this year.”

Obviously I understand that Love contributing this year isn't the goal.  Do you understand that the Packers were on the verge of a SB and drafted a guy who has no chance to help them get to the SB within the next few years, if ever, given the nature of the position? 

Again everyone wants to talk about them taking ARod when they had Favre, but again, the Pack had just gotten destroyed at home in the wildcard round and Favre was a battered QB by that time.  ARod's has played during the era when QB's are highly protected and his receivers have been lousy the past couple years.  It's even more of a bad move when earlier you were saying that ARod's salary hamstrings them WRT getting/keeping players, and then they use their 1st pick on a guy who won't help them soon. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ah but ARod's declining numbers aren't from the lack of talent around him, they're from decline.  And yes, those 450 yards are impressive WEO.  Good one right there. Put the shoes back on.

But OK, let's say a WR doesn't help them.  What about...a defensive player then?  What is going to help them? Or are they a lost cause?  In which case might as well trade-away what you can and get the team ready for Love.

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Remember when the Pats got beat by the dominant Broncos in the playoffs, and they drafted Jimmy G in the second?

I don’t remember Tommy crying to the media that he wasn’t going to finish his career with the Pats.

Rodgers is and always has been a mental midget. He shares a ton of blame for not winning a second SB.

When the Packers drafted Rodgers instead of, say, Roddy White--a WR who could put them "over the top" after a 10-6 season, he didn't say much except "sit down boy".  The Packers then went 4-12 after springing for Rodgers (whos Green Room sad boy looks gave the world the first hint of his personality) and Rodgers hogging a useless spot on the roster for 3 seasons, Favre got the Packers into the NFCC game at 13-3.

It's like posters are pretending none of this ever happened.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Obviously I understand that Love contributing this year isn't the goal.  Do you understand that the Packers were on the verge of a SB and drafted a guy who has no chance to help them get to the SB within the next few years, if ever, given the nature of the position? 

Again everyone wants to talk about them taking ARod when they had Favre, but again, the Pack had just gotten destroyed at home in the wildcard round and Favre was a battered QB by that time.  ARod's has played during the era when QB's are highly protected and his receivers have been lousy the past couple years.  It's even more of a bad move when earlier you were saying that ARod's salary hamstrings them WRT getting/keeping players, and then they use their 1st pick on a guy who won't help them soon. 

Ah but ARod's declining numbers aren't from the lack of talent around him, they're from decline.  And yes, those 450 yards are impressive WEO.  Good one right there. Put the shoes back on.

But OK, let's say a WR doesn't help them.  What about...a defensive player then?  What is going to help them? Or are they a lost cause?  In which case might as well trade-away what you can and get the team ready for Love.

I've already posted more than once that they could have helped this roster with other picks.  But the topic being discussed here is whether picking Love was a waste because someone else at that pick would have likely gotten them over that SF hump and into the SB.

Since there is/was no such pick then the answer is clearly "no". 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I've already posted more than once that they could have helped this roster with other picks.  But the topic being discussed here is whether picking Love was a waste because someone else at that pick would have likely gotten them over that SF hump and into the SB.

Since there is/was no such pick then the answer is clearly "no".

There is no such pick?  LOL! 

And the answer is "yes, Love was a wasted pick if the goal was to get to the SB."  Because again, he won't do anything for them for at least a few years, if ever.  If they think ARod is in decline and don't think they'll get to the SB again with him, the smart move would have been to trade what they can and look to move ARod next off-season.

Just now, Doc said:

And the answer is "yes, Love was a wasted pick if the goal was to get to the SB."  Because again, he won't do anything for them for at least a few years, if ever.  If they think ARod is in decline and don't think they'll get to the SB again with him, the smart move would have been to trade what they can and look to move ARod next off-season.

ARod was a wasted pick too, I guess. They should have drafted Roddy.

Just now, FireChans said:

ARod was a wasted pick too, I guess. They should have drafted Roddy.

Nope.  Like I said, different situations.  And Favre was truly near the end of his career.  We'll have to see where ARod's ends.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nope.  Like I said, different situations.  And Favre was truly near the end of his career.  We'll have to see where ARod's ends.

Favre played a few more years and made the NFCCG. So how much closer to the end was he than Rodgers? Do you think Rodgers has 5 years left?

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Favre played a few more years and made the NFCCG. So how much closer to the end was he than Rodgers? Do you think Rodgers has 5 years left?

I think he could play into his 40's, like he wants.  QB's these days can play longer than ever before because of protections not afforded to guys prior to the turn of the century.  Time will tell though.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

And do what at QB?

If the Packers lose the NFCC game this season, I will concede the point.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Different situations?  No.

Truly near the end of his career?  Do you define that as "leading 2 different teams to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl on 3 different teams in the 3 successive seasons"?  He simply showed up in Minny and had his 3rd best season (his 19th of 20 seasons) ever.  LOL.  Your best stuff....ever, dare I say? 

Rodgers main problem is that he knows he will be remembered in GB as only the 3rd best QB in their history.  That is what eats at him.

Edited by Mr. WEO

And do what at QB?

If the Packers lose the NFCC game this season, I will concede the point.

Who do you think?  Jordan Love.

As for returning to the NFCCG, the moves they've made aren't conducive to returning.  But we shall see.

Different situations?  No.

Truly near the end of his career?  Do you define that as "leading 2 different teams to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl on 3 different teams in the 3 successive seasons"?  He simply showed up in Minny and had his 3rd best season (his 19th of 20 seasons) ever.  LOL.  Your best stuff....ever, dare I say? 

Rodgers main problem is that he knows he will be remembered in GB as only the 3rd best QB in their history.  That is what eats at him.

Again, different situations/eras.  Back then QBs weren't playing nearly as late as they are now and Favre was coming off a blowout loss in a home wildcard game.  Sure he squeaked-out a few more good seasons, but I can see their thinking there.  I don't understand why they gave ARod a huge new deal before last season and then drafted a guy who won't help them for a few years.  A later-round pick at QB?  Sure.  But either get on with the rebuilding now or use the picks to help the team get to the SB.

And I like Favre more than ARod personally, but I doubt you'll find many people who think Favre is better than ARod.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Rodgers comes off like a complete dick to me. Obviously he's a talented QB and probably one of the best in the league,  but he come off as a smug pompous asswipe.

Honestly, so what?  So Allen seems like a good guy.  Okay.  I suspect he is, but how many fans really know him?  Public events can’t be counted on to show what someone is really like.  How many rings would Steelers fans give back for Roethlisberger to have had a much higher character?  “Exactly none” would be the answer.  It’s nice to think that we’re rooting for a team full of good people - Allen included - but we’re not.  Some are, some aren’t.  I’d take Aaron Rodgers as my QB in a heartbeat as long as he can still play.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Honestly, so what?  So Allen seems like a good guy.  Okay.  I suspect he is, but how many fans really know him?  Public events can’t be counted on to show what someone is really like.  How many rings would Steelers fans give back for Roethlisberger to have had a much higher character?  “Exactly none” would be the answer.  It’s nice to think that we’re rooting for a team full of good people - Allen included - but we’re not.  Some are, some aren’t.  I’d take Aaron Rodgers as my QB in a heartbeat as long as he can still play.

Yeah so what. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him as a QB, I'm just saying he comes off as a an asswipe. I'd be more than happy to have him on the team. The world is full of different personalities,  and I'm sure there a millions of people who are good at what they do that I wouldn't get along with. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Who do you think?  Jordan Love.

As for returning to the NFCCG, the moves they've made aren't conducive to returning.  But we shall see.

Again, different situations/eras.  Back then QBs weren't playing nearly as late as they are now and Favre was coming off a blowout loss in a home wildcard game.  Sure he squeaked-out a few more good seasons, but I can see their thinking there.  I don't understand why they gave ARod a huge new deal before last season and then drafted a guy who won't help them for a few years.  A later-round pick at QB?  Sure.  But either get on with the rebuilding now or use the picks to help the team get to the SB.

And I like Favre more than ARod personally, but I doubt you'll find many people who think Favre is better than ARod.

There is no Jordan Love in your scenario, and clearly drafting a career backup was not their goal so the "late round QB" makes no sense.

Drafting the longtime franchise QB's replacement years before he's needed and after a blowout playoff loss?  Yeah....TOTALLY different scenario.  In 2 seasons (2013 and 2017) Rodgers missed 5 times more starts than Favre did in 18 seasons.  

Anyway, Favre didn't whine about how surprised he was, he just got back to it and brought his team back to the NFCC game.  If Rodgers is better than Favre, he should be able to do the same...at a younger age too.  If you insist this team was one rookie away from a SB appearance then Only this season will convince you otherwise.

And I bet you wouldn't even have to venture out of GB to find "many people" who put Star and Favre ahead of Rodgers.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

There is no Jordan Love in your scenario, and clearly drafting a career backup was not their goal so the "late round QB" makes no sense.

Drafting the longtime franchise QB's replacement years before he's needed and after a blowout playoff loss?  Yeah....TOTALLY different scenario.  In 2 seasons (2013 and 2017) Rodgers missed 5 times more starts than Favre did in 18 seasons.  

Anyway, Favre didn't whine about how surprised he was, he just got back to it and brought his team back to the NFCC game.  If Rodgers is better than Favre, he should be able to do the same...at a younger age too.  If you insist this team was one rookie away from a SB appearance then Only this season will convince you otherwise.

And I bet you wouldn't even have to venture out of GB to find "many people" who put Star and Favre ahead of Rodgers.

I said that since they drafted Love (and you don't draft a guy in the 1st unless you expect him to start within the next few years) and had a feeling it would piss ARod off, they must think that ARod is in decline, despite giving him a massive contract prior to the 2019 season (which will require them to eat at least $17M in dead money eventually).  If that's their thinking, they should have traded what they could to get more draft picks/players ready for when Love is ready to start.  They've basically conceded that their SB contending days are over and you should agree since you think a1st round pick wouldn't have helped them, so none of their other picks stand a chance.

Nice try but all blowout playoffs losses are not equal.  And a 36 year old QB back 15 years ago is different from one today.  I know you know this but have to think otherwise.

And I think you missed it, but Favre did indeed complain about them drafting Rodgers and said that it wasn't his job to train his replacement.  There were tons of media reports about their frosty relationship.  And again I doubt you'll find many, even inside GB (don't discount how much his signing with the Vikes and his attitude towards Rodgers turned many Packers fans off) would say Favre was the better QB.