2020 Bills vs. 1999 Bills

2020 Bills vs. 1999 Bills  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is better?

7 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1991 team vs. 2020 team, all players in their prime.  Who wins?  2020 has 30 years of size/speed increases.  1991 team was a more accomplished team.  Tempting to say its a wipe-out for 2020, but I think players like Bruce, Thurman, Kelly, Andre - their skills would still translate.

Add Lofton and that roster has 5 HoFers in it. I think Bruce and Thurman translate best to today’s game.l and would be absolute studs in 2018. Andre is a close 3rd. QB/Kelly is a tough one because of how the position is played these days, could go either way. Now Marino. He’d be an absolute stud in 2020. 

The only guys on the 2020 roster who might even consider projecting in the hall right now are probably Tre and Diggs. 

I’ll take 91 all day. 

Edited by Mango

4 hours ago, Happy said:

So if Knox needs to develop, he's not elite...correct?

I like Knox, he has a lot of potential, but that is all it is right now, potential with a high ceiling.  Same with Josh.  You can't call Josh elite, because he's not; at this point he is an athletic QB with a high ceiling.

I sure can say Josh has elite physical ability.

I'm not a scout or anything but to me Knox looks to have an elite skillset for the TE position. Using that skillset to produce at an elite level is a different story.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was young but I remember the Washington R words were a much superior team and so was the first Cowboys.  The only one that was for sure were the Giants.  I think by point spread, it’s one of the biggest upsets in SB history.

I have been a diehard fan since 1968 and that loss to the Giants is still the most disappointing to me. That was the only year, in all my time as a fan, that I believed the Bills were clearly the best team in the league and should have been SB Champions. 

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only correct answer!!!

but play

1 - who’s the 99 qb?  

2 - what era rules are we playing with?  Because Allen would be a low 50 passer in ‘99

You are officially an anti-Allen crusader.  Every mother ***** thread, you need to somehow throw a jab at the kid.  It's already old.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I sure can say Josh has elite physical ability.

I'm not a scout or anything but to me Knox looks to have an elite skillset for the TE position. Using that skillset to produce at an elite level is a different story.

Remiersma is the best TE I've seen play for buffalo. He was average by league standards. He had average tools except great hands and great situational awareness and made the most of his ability. Until Knox maximizes his immense potential I'll take Jay over him everytime.

16 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think we're comparing to the 2020 team, no? Hence, fair amount of projection both in terms of what players and positional groups will accomplish and in terms of how posters consistently evaluate particular players in terms of both accomplishment and likely development or lack thereof. In short, its even more speculative than taking two finished seasons as the basis for comparison.

This is why i picked the 99 bills team. Its all speculative. The 99 team cant improve our view of them but everyone is acting like we are already in the SB. Until i see improvements on the field instead of paper I'll take what is facts.

I have a hard time thinking the 20 team would beat a team that most bills fan think would've won the SB in 99.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

You are officially an anti-Allen crusader.  Every mother ***** thread, you need to somehow throw a jab at the kid.  It's already old.

Oh please soccer mom.  It literally is a post about which team was better.  Taking off your sensitive glasses, here’s why it matters.  There were different rules in different eras.  In ‘99, the Bills completed 56.5% of their passes that ranked 21.  In that year, there were 2 teams that finished under 50% passing. 2 teams!  This year, the Bills completed 58.3% of their passes which was 31 out of 32 teams.  That would have ranked 12th in the NFLin ‘99.

so if you turn off your sensitive brain, here’s why it’s important.  If you put Allen back in 1999, he is going to complete passes at a worse %.  If you use 2020 rules, Flutie would be over a 60% passer.  That’s why it’s important to point out.  It’s also why Kurt Warned had one of the best qb season in history because he was so far more dominant than the rest of the league.  

also if IRC, there was talk that The offense held that 99 team back.  While in a league where it was much harder to score (4 teams scored over 400 points in 99 and 12 scored under 300 compared to 10 over 400 and only 6 under 300 in 19, 4 of which we played) the ‘99 Bills scored 320 points while the ‘19 Bills scored 314 points. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh please soccer mom.  It literally is a post about which team was better.  Taking off your sensitive glasses, here’s why it matters.  There were different rules in different eras.  In ‘99, the Bills completed 56.5% of their passes that ranked 21.  In that year, there were 2 teams that finished under 50% passing. 2 teams!  This year, the Bills completed 58.3% of their passes which was 31 out of 32 teams.  That would have ranked 12th in the NFLin ‘99.

so if you turn off your sensitive brain, here’s why it’s important.  If you put Allen back in 1999, he is going to complete passes at a worse %.  If you use 2020 rules, Flutie would be over a 60% passer.  That’s why it’s important to point out.  It’s also why Kurt Warned had one of the best qb season in history because he was so far more dominant than the rest of the league.  

Everything you just wrote is utterly ridiculous.  Literally all of it.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just say You say woke up sensitive and Tried to make a valid point personal instead of dispute the actual point.  

No.  I stand by my assessment.  You're a crusader.  You're waiting for Josh Allen to fail so you can say "I told you so," to whomever will listen.  You bash him with almost every post you write.  Yawn.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

No.  I stand by my assessment.  You're a crusader.  You're waiting for Josh Allen to fail so you can say "I told you so," to whomever will listen.  You bash him with almost every post you write.  Yawn.

You’re the soccer mom crusader who is crying and side tracking a thread about completely made up game.  I made a valid point about how much harder it was to score and complete passes in 99 than it is today.  If This “game “ was played by 99 rules, Allen would have worse numbers.  If it was played by today’s rules, Flutie would have better numbers.  Stop being emotional.  

21 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They are similar looking teams.  Dominate defenses and middle of the road offenses.

I love Allens and the Bills, but their offense has not been 'middle of the road'. It's been bad. Lower 3rd of the league bad. 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, boater said:

That we're comparing teams 20 years apart is a sad sign of futility that Bills fans have had to endure.

Even sadder is a BBFS Bills fan who asks the question ‘which team is better’, a fictitious future season or a decades past playoff season..?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Even sadder is a BBFS Bills fan who asks the question ‘which team is better’, a fictitious future season or a decades past playoff season..?‍♂️

I hate speaking for anyone, but I think it's really more about the team as in "roster,"  or "on paper," than it is about the actual end of season results.  That's how I interpreted it, anyway.