Rodgers in GB ( old article)

stuvian

I don't think he's done but I can't imagine he's real thrilled with the front office right now. One of the deepest WR drafts in years and they don't even take a swing on a mid-round guy when it's obvious they need someone decent across from Adams.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I don't know why Rodgers has such staunch defenders either.

When Big Ben was just getting fatter and older, and freaked out when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph, everyone thought the pick was completely reasonable.

But when Rodgers faces the same scenario, it's the ultimate organization betrayal. Bizzarro world stuff.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that everyone knew Big Ben was declining. Most football fans seem to falsely believe that Rodgers is still elite. The dude had great looking stats last season, but he’s not the play making Rodgers of old. He plays within the system, and compiles stats by avoiding mistakes, sometimes to the detriment of his team. Although he has great stats,  I don’t see a QB I’d be afraid to see on the opposing sideline. 

Edited by SirAndrew

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nope. Been saying that the earliest he can be gone is after that season because of the cap hit. 

Perfect for a departure, ease Love in and if he isn’t elite right away, maybe they get lucky and sign him to a cheapish deal.

I’m not changing premises, the general argument appears to be that the GB FO has “screwed” Rodgers.

What WR should they have drafted? Maybe they didn’t see the value in who was available. Your answer will likely be “someone!” Should they have taken Isaiah Hodgins? Would everyone stop crying then?

Aaron Rodgers, prior to 2019, was 10-12-1 as a starter in the past two seasons. His new GM took over last year, and his new coach took over this year. And Voila, 13 wins and an NFCCG appearance. Are they really “screwing” Rodgers by not nominally drafting some bum WR? He hasn’t thrown over 30 TD’s in 4 seasons. He’s a game manager and they are acting accordingly. Run the ball, play defense. See what the Pats did two years ago, loading up on the run game. 

Oh, and the Pats somehow drafted a bunch of QB’s and no one EVER cried about like Rodgers’ fans.

I will enjoy watching Jordan Love in 4 years and linking this post.

I don’t remember folks saying the Pats should trade Brady because they drafted Jimmy G and it’s just so unfair to Tom!!!

This has gotten ridiculous. Maybe John Brown should demand a trade because we traded for Diggs and drafted Gabe Davis to replace him in 2 years. Somebody save John Brown!!!!

Several of the analysts that I find credible are saying that the packers screwed AR and we’re stunned by the pick of Love at this stage.  Most people gave the packers a terrible draft grade.  Most people agree with me.  They think the packers should’ve used that pick on a player that can help AR win a SB.  He has 4 years left on his contract.  

I’m not gonna sit here and play make believe.

You: “Which WR would’ve made the difference”.  

Me:  “not necessarily a WR in the first rd, but someone that can help them win in 2020, like Patrick Queen, Brandon Aiyuk and Tee Higgins.  They’d all help them in 2020”

You: ”noooo, they wouldn’t have made the difference”.

Me:  “We don’t know that.  We’re playing make believe like little babies.  We’ll never find out because they drafted a backup QB.

not sure why you’re wasting your time arguing such a thing.   It’s a pretty popular opinion that the packers can be a super bowl contender if they made the right moves. 

When Big Ben was just getting fatter and older, and freaked out when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph, everyone thought the pick was completely reasonable.

But when Rodgers faces the same scenario, it's the ultimate organization betrayal. Bizzarro world stuff.

It was a 3rd round pick for Rudolph.  Big difference.  Plus, Big Ben has been hinting at retirement like Favre was at the time.  I think it was March of 2005 when Favre said he'd be back next season and wouldn't commit beyond that.  Unless there's something going on behind the scenes, I haven't heard Rodgers mention the possibility of retiring any time soon.  

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It was a 3rd round pick for Rudolph.  Big difference.  Plus, Big Ben has been hinting at retirement like Favre was at the time.  I think it was March of 2005 when Favre said he'd be back next season and wouldn't commit beyond that.  Unless there's something going on behind the scenes, I haven't heard Rodgers mention the possibility of retiring any time soon.  

Brady wasn’t talking about retiring and the Pats spent a second and third on QB’s.

The new Packers are not the old Packers. Rodgers gets the biggest pass for being a HoF talent with 1 Super Bowl. And now he’s in decline. Peyton Manning wishes he got this kind of pass.

Maybe I was in a coma and just dreaming when they drafted Rudolph, but I could’ve sworn I was extremely happy that the Steelers had just wasted a 3rd rd pick on a bum.  

you just continue to spew out made up hot garbage.   

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Perfect for a departure, ease Love in and if he isn’t elite right away, maybe they get lucky and sign him to a cheapish deal.

Setting the bar high.  Similar to what they’re doing right now.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brady wasn’t talking about retiring and the Pats spent a second and third on QB’s.

The new Packers are not the old Packers. Rodgers gets the biggest pass for being a HoF talent with 1 Super Bowl. And now he’s in decline. Peyton Manning wishes he got this kind of pass.

The patriots won Super Bowls after the fact.  The packers will win NONE.  That’s the difference. BIG difference 

He at least has this season, but the handwriting is on the wall.  I understand that Green Bay's head coach, Matt LaFleur tends to prefer disciplined play from his QB, and Aaron Rodgers is something of a free lancer.  He's uber talented, but marches to a different drummer.  At 37 years old, LaFleur probably figures he's not going to change Rodgers at this point in his career, and if he is going to mold the team in his image, it's going to be with a young QB who will do what he's told.  Rodgers has this year (assuming Rodgers doesn't react too badly to the drafting of Love and demand a trade or else) and then he's out the door in favor of Love.  He gets the year because Love is a somewhat raw prospect and could use some time on the bench to learn the system and stay close to the coach on the sideline.

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is this pick so difficult for so man to understand.  He's not done, but he's pretty close.  Why not draft his replacement now? Isn't that the smarter way to do it?

That part I get, the part I don't is giving a Aaron Rodgers team who was a win away from the Superbowl no weapons. I guess you can say AJ Dillon but he doesn't catch out of the backfield so he is more. first-second down guy. Also not even calling and telling him their plans? That's cold, just my opinions.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That part I get, the part I don't is giving a Aaron Rodgers team who was a win away from the Superbowl no weapons. I guess you can say AJ Dillon but he doesn't catch out of the backfield so he is more. first-second down guy. Also not even calling and telling him their plans? That's cold, just my opinions.

That’s the way most people feel.  

Making zero attempts to upgrade a WR unit that need an influx of talent. 

Unless you count Devin Funchess as the savior.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The 62nd pick of the draft is a lot less valuable than the number 29 pick where they could've drafted Higgins, Mims, Pittman, etc...  Pats already had a great offense in place.  Rodgers doesn't have a reliable passing target besides DeVante Adams.  OT was also a huge need after they lost Bulaga and they ignored that. 

Based off free agency and the draft it seems like they're punting on the season for the future which is so bizarre considering they were one game away from the Super Bowl.

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He'll get at least 2 years.  The third year he'll likely be named the starter.  Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's untradeable.

They are not a rookie playmaker from a SB.  No way.

The FO figured this out.  So, just like the franchise did 15 years ago, they drafted the replacement for their HOF QB a few years before they needed to replace him (and at a time they were struggling to advance in the playoffs).......AND they got a top 10 pick near the bottom of the 1st round.  They aren't going to be picking in the top 10 for as long as Rodgers is starting.

the brain trust in charge now did not give Rodgers the mega-deal that is hamstringing the team

right now, he does not play to the level of that deal, although his ego says he does and he acts accordingly

if he agrees to execute Lafleur's offense, he stays and plays

but if not, the team now has leverage to move forward without him

they are prepared to deal with the cap fallout and are done enabling his attitude

• Like (+1) 1

I don't really give a ***** because I've hated GB ever since they jettisoned Favre, but this seems like a bad move in my estimation.

If Jordan Love becomes their franchise QB for 10 years then MAYBE I'll think otherwise, but they're compromising a golden 2-3 year window of opportunity. That's an opportunity that teams go 10+ years without sniffing. GB's been spoiled w/ b2b HOF QBs, but that streak probably ends with Rogers. It might be a long time before the stars align for them again.

I don't really think a late first round rookie would be the difference in winning the SB, but maybe. They could have used the pick to trade for an established player at a position of need.

When you're coming off a 13-3 season you really may only be a player or 2 away.

Potentially worse is the strife they've likely created with a QB they're stuck with for the next 2 years. 

The big payoff is a raw rookie with "all the physical tools" which more often than not means a straight thrower with future bust written all over him. Trading up for him just adds insult to injury.

Like I said, I really don't care and if they suck out loud it'll suit me just fine, but if I was a Packer fan I wouldn't be too giddy about this.

On the other hand, I do think the switch to a power run offense behind AJ Dillon will be interesting. If Not Brett Favre can keep his ego in check, they might actually be a harder out come playoff time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The 62nd pick of the draft is a lot less valuable than the number 29 pick where they could've drafted Higgins, Mims, Pittman, etc...  Pats already had a great offense in place.  Rodgers doesn't have a reliable passing target besides DeVante Adams.  OT was also a huge need after they lost Bulaga and they ignored that. 

Based off free agency and the draft it seems like they're punting on the season for the future which is so bizarre considering they were one game away from the Super Bowl.

While I agree receiver was a need (and it was strange that they chose not to address it) they did actually replace Bulaga with Rick Wagner in free agency who had a down year last year with the Lions but before that both in Detroit and Baltimore had been one of the better right tackles in the NFL and is a year younger and cost half the price. I actually thought that was a good move. If Wagner plays at anything like his true level it is barely even a downgrade and a significant saving. 

I think the overall point on receiver is just that LeFleur is changing who Green Bay are. When you hire Matt LeFleur you have to know that. He isn't Kliff Kingsbury or Matt Nagy. He isn't coming in with 5 wides and spread it out that is not who he is. He is much more Kyle Shanahan. He is going to feed tight ends (seriously the tight they took in the 3rd round out of Cincinnati - excellent player - most people had it as a reach but by my board was not much of one, they took him late 3rd I had a high 4 on him) and he is going to pound the run game with a variety of backs who can attack the edge and the cutback lanes and get downhill.  

San Fran made the Superbowl with Emmanuel Sanders (a career #2 receiver) and Deebo Samuel (a rookie #2 receiver type). Davante Adams is better than both and yes Funchess and Lazard are not the most exciting complimentary options... I get that. But LeFleur clearly just doesn't think his system needs two studs outside.  At one point Rodgers had Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams on the same roster and didn't make a Superbowl because when ahead in an NFCCG they were totally incapable of running the ball to eat clock. 

Essentially what I am trying to say is:

(1) I do think the clock is ticking on Rodgers and before we shed any tears for him remember he campaigned for the firing of Mike McCarthy;

(2) I thought the writing was on the wall as soon as they hired LeFleur and said as much. It was a wean yourself off Rodgers (who had been hurt a lot in the 3 previous seasons and whose game was already showing signs of decline) move;

(3) While I am surprised they didn't draft a receiver somewhere it is an offensive scheme in which backs and tight ends have equal value to wideouts;

(4) If the Packers had a first round grade on Jordan Love they were absolutely right to take him. First round graded Quarterbacks are not a dime a dozen. If your guy is 36 and you get a chance to draft one then you should darn well do it; 

(5) If Aaron Rodgers ends up - as seems very possible - with only one Superbowl then one of the main reasons for that will be Aaron Rodgers. He is a great Quarterback but he has never been a great leader. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I agree receiver was a need (and it was strange that they chose not to address it) they did actually replace Bulaga with Rick Wagner in free agency who had a down year last year with the Lions but before that both in Detroit and Baltimore had been one of the better right tackles in the NFL and is a year younger and cost half the price. I actually thought that was a good move. If Wagner plays at anything like his true level it is barely even a downgrade and a significant saving. 

I think the overall point on receiver is just that LeFleur is changing who Green Bay are. When you hire Matt LeFleur you have to know that. He isn't Kliff Kingsbury or Matt Nagy. He isn't coming in with 5 wides and spread it out that is not who he is. He is much more Kyle Shanahan. He is going to feed tight ends (seriously the tight they took in the 3rd round out of Cincinnati - excellent player - most people had it as a reach but by my board was not much of one, they took him late 3rd I had a high 4 on him) and he is going to pound the run game with a variety of backs who can attack the edge and the cutback lanes and get downhill.  

San Fran made the Superbowl with Emmanuel Sanders (a career #2 receiver) and Deebo Samuel (a rookie #2 receiver type). Davante Adams is better than both and yes Funchess and Lazard are not the most exciting complimentary options... I get that. But LeFleur clearly just doesn't think his system needs two studs outside.  At one point Rodgers had Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams on the same roster and didn't make a Superbowl because when ahead in an NFCCG they were totally incapable of running the ball to eat clock. 

Essentially what I am trying to say is:

(1) I do think the clock is ticking on Rodgers and before we shed any tears for him remember he campaigned for the firing of Mike McCarthy;

(2) I thought the writing was on the wall as soon as they hired LeFleur and said as much. It was a wean yourself of Rodgers (who had been hurt a lot in the 3 previous seasons and whose game was already showing signs of decline) move;

(3) While I am surprised they didn't draft a receiver somewhere it is an offensive scheme in which backs and tight ends have equal value to wideouts;

(4) If the Packers had a first round grade on Jordan Love they were absolutely right to take him. First round graded Quarterbacks are not a dime a dozen. If your guy is 36 and you get a chance to draft one then you should darn well do it; 

(5) If Aaron Rodgers ends up - as seems very possible - with only one Superbowl then one of the main reasons for that will be Aaron Rodgers. He is a great Quarterback but he has never been a great leader. 

Excellent post. 

I will go a step further and say they have sent a message loud and clear to Rodgers. This is not a Mike McCarthy do whatever you want regime. Your talent no longer demands us do everything to make sure you are happy.

If he sulks and acts like a clown, he will have no one to blame for their dysfunction but himself.

• Like (+1) 1