Rodgers in GB ( old article)

stuvian

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes and they were heavily criticized in 2005 for drafting Rodgers with Favre still under contract.  Looking at 2005 draft grades - lots of C-, D’s, and even Fs, but when you look 5 years out - that draft in 2005 is now all A’s and one of the best drafts of the year.

Did it hurt GB in the short term - maybe, but Rodgers won them a Super Bowl and has made them relevant for over an additional 10 years. This pick is no different - if Love works out they are brilliant and if he fails - they still have time to find another QB before Rodgers retires.  The timing is perfect and it is exactly what GB should be doing.

Of course this pick is different.  And even if Love works out it won't be for 2020.  Horrible draft and I believe people will pay down the road for it.

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The pick is controversial because they are a contending team that could have done improvements for next season and been a contender.  Instead they went with a backup QB and backup RB.  Most people consider them draft losers for a reason.  It has to frustrate the fans and Rodgers not to see the FO improve that receiving core.

Exactly. Dumb pick. But hey, not my team ha ha

It seems Rodgers is a diva and all that, but dude is still among the very best QBs. Give him weapons instead.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Favre had a really good season in 2004, and IMHO better than his 2003 season when he made the Pro Bowl.

Rogers was drafted in 2005.  Farve's 2005 season was garbage.  I know they drafted Rogers after Farve's 2004 season but that's not what I said.

I would t be surprised if Green Bay does to him what they did to Favre, especially if they see Love developing  quickly which I don’t see happening. But Green Bay has always been known for this. Drafting QBs every year while they have a franchise guy or a veteran starter in place. Both Miami and Buffalo of 25+ years ago were more family

oriented teams and in a lot of ways over kept their starting QBS and yes we way over kept Kelly. The wheels were falling off in 1994 and he regressed in both 95 and 96. Marino was obviously at the end of his career under the Jimmy Johnson era, but both teams respectfully over kept their starters and didn’t develop anyone else cause they thought their guys would last more years than they did. Green Bay runs their ship like a ruthless business, once they see the wheels falling or that you near the end of your career they immediately draft your replacement and ship you out as soon as the rookie is ready to play

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Zero chance. His contract makes him untradeable 

If Rodgers wants out, he'll renegotiate a favorable contract.  And if I was him, I could see a nice three or four years with the Chargers in his home state.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Getting a WR in FA would have been a better route.  A draft pick can/will take time to develop, time Rodgers doesn't have.  But all they signed was Devin Funchess and 36 year old Marcedes Lewis.

I agree with you.  IMO the better use of the draft picks would have been on Hopkins.

7 minutes ago, T master said:

Looks as if history could repeat itself in GB !! ?

Doubt it, the difference between Rodgers and Love is that Back in 05 Rodgers was being talked about as being the 1st overall pick and for some reason he ended up falling. Love has never been regarded as a first overall pick and not even a first round pick for that matter. A lot of red flags and question marks on love. Biggest one is his arm,

a lot of experts and analysts talked about him not having an NFL arm and has questionable footwork and doesn’t go through his progressions on reading Defenses properly. He’s a big project that might not pan out to being anything more than that. Rodgers was never considered a project, I knew that guy was gonna be a star no matter what team he landed with. Buffalo should’ve pulled the trigger and ***** canned Losman quicker

3 minutes ago, yungmack said:

If Rodgers wants out, he'll renegotiate a favorable contract.  And if I was him, I could see a nice three or four years with the Chargers in his home state.

I say the 49ers. He’s from the Bay Area and 49ers tried to get Brady before the Bucs got him, which tells me they don’t have a lot of faith in Garoppolo

Aaron Rodgers at 36 isn't Aaron Rodgers at 26. He has a propensity to get hurt more and while he still has a lot of ability, running the complete spread system and letting him sling the rock around doesn't work for 36 year-old Rodgers like it did when Rodgers was 26. It's perfectly normal for Rodgers not to be able to see this.

Green Bay saw this and hired LaFleur to help Rodgers by improving the defense and improving the rushing attack, which are exactly the right ways to extend the career of a good QB who is aging. It helped them to the tune of 7 more wins and a conference title appearance with virtually no change in Rodgers' performance as a passer. Their offensive line and defense are good, and I'd expect Green Bay to continue to be one of the best teams in the conference as long as Rodgers doesn't decline. Yes, they could use a receiver, but reports of their demise are exaggerated here.

Green Bay took Love because that's where they felt the value proposition was with their pick. The top 6 Wide Receivers were off the board, the run on Offensive linemen and defensive backs was already done, and this wasn't a great class for Tight Ends or Defensive Linemen. Green Bay also has the organizational stability to take a long-term view on the draft sometimes, which is why they've been able to contend consistently for such a long time. Given the choice between reaching for a 2nd round receiver and taking a shot at a first round QB prospect, I get why they'd take Love in that spot.

All that said, I really don't understand Green Bay taking a RB in the second round.

5 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Rogers was drafted in 2005.  Farve's 2005 season was garbage.  I know they drafted Rogers after Farve's 2004 season but that's not what I said.

Sorry, thought you said "year before."  But maybe Rodgers falls off a cliff this year?

1 minute ago, y2zipper said:

Aaron Rodgers at 36 isn't Aaron Rodgers at 26. He has a propensity to get hurt more and while he still has a lot of ability, running the complete spread system and letting him sling the rock around doesn't work for 36 year-old Rodgers like it did when Rodgers was 26. It's perfectly normal for Rodgers not to be able to see this.

Green Bay saw this and hired LaFleur to help Rodgers by improving the defense and improving the rushing attack, which are exactly the right ways to extend the career of a good QB who is aging. It helped them to the tune of 7 more wins and a conference title appearance with virtually no change in Rodgers' performance as a passer. Their offensive line and defense are good, and I'd expect Green Bay to continue to be one of the best teams in the conference as long as Rodgers doesn't decline. Yes, they could use a receiver, but reports of their demise are exaggerated here.

Green Bay took Love because that's where they felt the value proposition was with their pick. The top 6 Wide Receivers were off the board, the run on Offensive linemen and defensive backs was already done, and this wasn't a great class for Tight Ends or Defensive Linemen. Green Bay also has the organizational stability to take a long-term view on the draft sometimes, which is why they've been able to contend consistently for such a long time. Given the choice between reaching for a 2nd round receiver and taking a shot at a first round QB prospect, I get why they'd take Love in that spot.

All that said, I really don't understand Green Bay taking a RB in the second round.

He’s never really had a decent RB most of his career. So it makes sense to get him a running game especially at his age

I don't believe he is done but the career clock in GB has been started to run down.  In some quarters, it is believed that he is a hard guy to get along with.  If that is true, maybe the front office has decided that enough is enough.  His contract makes a trade virtually impossible; so he is not going anywhere.  Their plan appears to move the focus of the offense away from Rodgers.  IMHO the unfettered, throw the ball all over the field days in GB are probably gone.  I also think that the GB front office wasted a bunch of good years for both Rodgers and Favre by not putting great talent around them.  For many years they refused to improve their roster with free agents.  In spite of this, they had some great seasons but they missed out on quite a few others.  Rodgers isn't done yet but it is not likely that we will get to see the "old" Rodgers that we enjoyed watching in the past.

51 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I don't believe he is done but the career clock in GB has been started to run down.  In some quarters, it is believed that he is a hard guy to get along with.  If that is true, maybe the front office has decided that enough is enough.  His contract makes a trade virtually impossible; so he is not going anywhere.  Their plan appears to move the focus of the offense away from Rodgers.  IMHO the unfettered, throw the ball all over the field days in GB are probably gone.  I also think that the GB front office wasted a bunch of good years for both Rodgers and Favre by not putting great talent around them.  For many years they refused to improve their roster with free agents.  In spite of this, they had some great seasons but they missed out on quite a few others.  Rodgers isn't done yet but it is not likely that we will get to see the "old" Rodgers that we enjoyed watching in the past.

Green Bay has always been known as a cheap franchise that doesn’t like paying players in free agency, they’ve always been about retaining their own

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is this pick so difficult for so man to understand.  He's not done, but he's pretty close.  Why not draft his replacement now? Isn't that the smarter way to do it?

When you have one of the greatest QBs to play the game on your roster you should be doing everything possible to win a Super Bowl while he's still in his prime. Not planning for his retirement. It's far more likely they win a Super Bowl with Rodgers in the next 3 years than they are to ever win a Super Bowl with Love on the team. They wasted a 1st round pick on a player that doesn't help them in their Super Bowl window. Plus the rest of their draft was god awful.

5 hours ago, Gordio said:

This is exactly right.  The Pack are being proactive with their QB situation the same way when they drafted Rodgers.  Unless injury, Love won't see the field until year 3.  He is a project.  Rodgers cap ramifications if the Pack decided to get rid of Rodgers these next two years is huge.  My guess is AR has two more years in GB & I doubt he helps Love much, kind of the same way Favre really didn't help him.

Exactly. I don't see Rodgers's current trajectory having as the starter beyond the next 2 seasons.

If Rodgers hangs it up in a year or 2, how good is their draft pick going to be to suddenly find his replacement? 

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The pick is controversial because they are a contending team that could have done improvements for next season and been a contender.  Instead they went with a backup QB and backup RB.  Most people consider them draft losers for a reason.  It has to frustrate the fans and Rodgers not to see the FO improve that receiving core.

Could have been a contender?? They won 13 games and again won the division.  They went to the conference championship.  They weren't a rookie WR short of the SB....

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They drafted RB, TE and three offensive linemen. And they have Favante Adam's who caught 83 balls for just under 1000 yards in 12 games.

Maybe they were thinking there are other ways to help Aaron.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Terrible move. No reason to draft Love this year. Favre fell off a cliff the year they drafted Rogers.  I don't see Rogers doing that for at least 3-4 years.  Grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th every year and see if you can develop someone.  Grabbing a backup Qb after you just went 13-3, insane.

Huh?

2 years after Rodgers was drafted Favre was a Pro Bowl QB again.  And again the following year (Jets) and the year after that (with Vikings).  In fact, in his 19th year, he was better than Rodgers was last year.

Rodgers is already slowing down.  He went from 45, 39, 38, 31, 40 TD seasons to 25 and 26.