RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

49 minutes ago, Beast said:

This may not be (or may be!) a popular take but I actually liked what I saw from Epenesa as the year went on. Has some speed and started to get near plays in the backfield late in the year.

I think an off-season with camps is going to do this kid wonders. Calling it now, Epenesa will be the Bills most improved player next season.

at what position and tech ?
Playing as Pass rusher?
I think he needs to get some more comfortable weight and muscle on him and play de .
 Can he set an edge or not ? That is the question.
Maybe Murphy mentored him on that discipline.
 since you bumped . I hope we can revisit this thread early next season ! and agree :)

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

He did as the year went on. He came in a bit lightweight but started to beef up as the year went on. 

I truly think he will have breakout season next year and agree 100% with you. 

I thought Beane said he didn't put weight on during the season?

I think he will end up being a very good end in our system. I liked his twitch and almost got Mahomes on the one play. He just needs time on the field. 

53 minutes ago, Beast said:

This may not be (or may be!) a popular take but I actually liked what I saw from Epenesa as the year went on. Has some speed and started to get near plays in the backfield late in the year.

I think an off-season with camps is going to do this kid wonders. Calling it now, Epenesa will be the Bills most improved player next season.

We need that very badly. Cupboards feel pretty empty on DL right now. That first nfl off-season turns boys into men though. No more college buffet, and lifting weights with your buddies to look good in the mirror. World class weight room, training and food. Show up, do the work expected and balloon up! He came in stocky, turned pretty lean, let's see what a real off-season program does for the kid!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Me neither

Espenesa flashed.....he is going to end up being a solid defensive linemen just not great

Need to continue to upgrade the position

Better find it in the Draft then. Cap magic may not happen this offseason for Beanes :(

• Disagree 1

On 4/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Get younger on on the DL and add an edge player.  I'm fine with this pick.  I would have preferred an OLB with more pass rush if going defense.  I also would have gone with Dobbins but this is much better than OL or DB.  

I'm quoting myself just to keep myself honest and make sure my memory is correct.   Even now I still would have gone with Dobbins.  I was worried Epenesa was more run stopper than pass rusher.  I like that they have asked him to shed weight.  

If he can be a 6-8 sack guy next year it will fill a big need.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Me neither

Espenesa flashed.....he is going to end up being a solid defensive linemen just not great

Need to continue to upgrade the position

Man if this is how John feels about a Bills player, he may not be in the league this time next year.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm quoting myself just to keep myself honest and make sure my memory is correct.   Even now I still would have gone with Dobbins.  I was worried he was more run stopper than pass rusher.  I like that they have asked him to shed weight.  

If he can be a 6-8 sack guy next year it will fill a big need.

Us not drafting Dobbins may have been the worst decision of the Beane drafts so far... our front seven is going to need a MAJOR upgrade after this year, and Milano may be too expensive to keep. Do you see Epenesa being an impact player more than Dobbins would have been?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Us not drafting Dobbins may have been the worst decision of the Beane drafts so far... our front seven is going to need a MAJOR upgrade after this year, and Milano may be too expensive to keep. Do you see Epenesa being an impact player more than Dobbins would have been?

Totally disagree.  This was a passing team and what happened in the Chefs game wouldn't have changed with Dobbins.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Totally disagree.  This was a passing team and what happened in the Chefs game wouldn't have changed with Dobbins.

At Ohio State, Dobbins was outstanding at flat passes and screens, and with his speed he was very effective. He's basically a nice upgrade over Singletary and finds the holes like Thurman did. Instead of having two different RBs we have one bell cow in Dobbins... we have to upgrade out OL anyways, so if we had drafted Dobbins we'd be looking like the Chiefs with Helaire.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

At Ohio State, Dobbins was outstanding at flat passes and screens, and with his speed he was very effective. He's basically a nice upgrade over Singletary and finds the holes like Thurman did. Instead of having two different RBs we have one bell cow in Dobbins... we have to upgrade out OL anyways, so if we had drafted Dobbins we'd be looking like the Chiefs with Helaire.

Did you watch the Bills v. Ravens game?.... balls were bouncing out of his hands. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd rather have Epenesa.  And the Ravens are built for running the ball.  The Bills are not.

Incredibly, the Bills drafted a DE and an RB last year, and their largest needs this offseason are those same two positions.

I’d rather have one less need.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I get COVID screwed up every NFL training program, in 1 way or another.  But man, really seems.like the Bills did him (and the team) a big disservice by asking him to drop the weight/become a different player.  Seemed like a big gamble, especially with a rookie and a highly unusual/different offseason program.  

That all said, hopefully they get things figured out for next season.  The kid has a good amount of talent, and was a tweener fit coming out.  

2 straight seasons of.our 2nd round pick not contributing much, Ford has been playing thru injuries and they mismanaged AJ.  Need to fix this moving forward

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Incredibly, the Bills drafted a DE and an RB last year, and their largest needs this offseason are those same two positions.

Bills like to develop players into the fold.
Give every Draft pick 3 years please. no less and no more

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Do you think Dobbins would have had a lot of success on the Bills this year?

• Like (+1) 1