RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

17 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

At Ohio State, Dobbins was outstanding at flat passes and screens, and with his speed he was very effective. He's basically a nice upgrade over Singletary and finds the holes like Thurman did. Instead of having two different RBs we have one bell cow in Dobbins... we have to upgrade out OL anyways, so if we had drafted Dobbins we'd be looking like the Chiefs with Helaire.

Really?  Dobbins on the best running team in the NFL did not outperform the 2 guys we had.

He also looked really uncomfortable trying to catch swing passes this year.

I think we would have been maybe a slight upgrade on Singletary on this team and really would have been a huge disappointment.

Helaire looked better catching passes, but he also wasn’t a bell cow back.  He is part of a group much like in Buffalo and may not be the best back on that team for their style of offense.

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Bills like to develop players into the fold.
Give every Draft pick 3 years please. no less and no more

Us old-school guys remember life before free agency.

Now folks want ready-made MVPs straight out of college. These kids have no patience. 😁

I do think GMs like to have draft picks that do not hurt the team too much year one, bonus if they catch on fast and can contribute.

Then 2-3 solid cap-friendly years before they have to decide on investment divestment strategy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Did you watch the Bills v. Ravens game?.... balls were bouncing out of his hands. 

Lol I was hoping someone would mention that. 
Can you imagine the backlash if we had Dobbins and he dropped open passes vs KC? 

I think it is still a valid method
but, yes. I too am old school :)

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Us old-school guys remember life before free agency.

Now folks want ready-made MVPs straight out of college. These kids have no patience. 😁

I do think GMs like to have draft picks that do not hurt the team too much year one, bonus if they catch on fast and can contribute.

Then 2-3 solid cap-friendly years before they have to decide on investment divestment strategy.

If you can get 3-4 years of drafted player progress from a solid baseline to begin with ?

You win the financial side of NFL Football 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If your definition of “a lot” is more than Moss and Singletary, then yes.

Speculative.  He wouldn't have led to more wins and the basic problem with the running game was the OL.

Just now, FireChans said:

Yeah it’s all speculative Doc. Saying he wouldn’t have done anything is ALSO speculative. Lol

I never said he wouldn't have done anything.  I was disputing that taking Epenesa over him was the biggest mistake of Beane's time with the Bills.

32 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Really?  Dobbins on the best running team in the NFL did not outperform the 2 guys we had.

He also looked really uncomfortable trying to catch swing passes this year.

I think we would have been maybe a slight upgrade on Singletary on this team and really would have been a huge disappointment.

Helaire looked better catching passes, but he also wasn’t a bell cow back.  He is part of a group much like in Buffalo and may not be the best back on that team for their style of offense.

Did not out perform? He averaged 6 YPC and had 9 TDs. Moss and Seventh Devin averaged like 4.2 and had 7 TDs.

Dobbins had 134 carries and 805 yards. COMBINED our duo had 268 carries and 1160 yards. 

130 extra caries to have 300 more yards. yikes on ice

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I never said he wouldn't have done anything.  I was disputing that taking Epenesa over him was the biggest mistake of Beane's time with the Bills.

That’s also speculative! Got ‘em

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Incredibly, the Bills drafted a DE and an RB last year, and their largest needs this offseason are those same two positions.

I’d rather have one less need.

The jury is still out on AJ. And that would've solved only one position, not one less need because we would need two defensive ends instead of one. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm quoting myself just to keep myself honest and make sure my memory is correct.   Even now I still would have gone with Dobbins.  I was worried Epenesa was more run stopper than pass rusher.  I like that they have asked him to shed weight.  

If he can be a 6-8 sack guy next year it will fill a big need.

I was very upset with the Epenesa pick. I wanted Dobbins badly. Made it even worse when he went one pick later. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Totally disagree.  This was a passing team and what happened in the Chefs game wouldn't have changed with Dobbins.

Disagree. Who knows what the run game would have looked like with Dobbins. He’s better than either rb we have on our roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Moss was solid.  Let's see how they do next year.  

I still want an explosive edge player and am less worried about the RB situation.  

I just want an elite weapon on offense whether it be at rb or wr. We need someone other than diggs. 

Travis Ettienne, Najee Harris, Kadarius Toney are a few names that I would love to add to this offense. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Gambit said:

The jury is still out on AJ. And that would've solved only one position, not one less need because we would need two defensive ends instead of one. 

? AJ hasn’t filled any needs at all. He’s invisible. You can sign a slob of the street for that

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

? AJ hasn’t filled any needs at all. He’s invisible. You can sign a slob of the street for that

Yeah I think people that still like this pick are the same people that want more defense at all costs. Epenesa really hasn’t been good at all. We could have gone in a lot of different directions and made more of a difference with that pick.

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I think people that still like this pick are the same people that want more defense at all costs. Epenesa really hasn’t been good at all. We could have gone in a lot of different directions and made more of a difference with that pick.

They made him drop way too much weight coming into camp. A 1st year under his belt and an off-season to put on some muscle and he will be solid next year. Still need a speed rusher to complement him. And BTW if we had "more defense" this year we wouldn't have gotten B slapped in the title game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I just want an elite weapon on offense whether it be at rb or wr. We need someone other than diggs. 

Travis Ettienne, Najee Harris, Kadarius Toney are a few names that I would love to add to this offense. 

My favorite player back in the day was Thurman Thomas.  I still think a pass catching RB can be an elite weapon in 2020 but I belvie the league has moved on to elite TEs.  An elite TE creates nightmare matchup problems.  My hope is that it would be Knox and he may still be that guy.  They have to add another TE and it will be up to Beane to decide if it is a veteran or a rookie.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

They made him drop way too much weight coming into camp. A 1st year under his belt and an off-season to put on some muscle and he will be solid next year. Still need a speed rusher to complement him. And BTW if we had "more defense" this year we wouldn't have gotten B slapped in the title game.

Disagree. Totally disagree. KCs offense is great. They have weapons all over the place. You just can’t stop them no matter how great your defense is. They literally have to crap on themselves for you to beat them. You have to be able to keep up with KC in a shootout, meaning you have to have weapons on offense to match them.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

My favorite player back in the day was Thurman Thomas.  I still think a pass catching RB can be an elite weapon in 2020 but I belvie the league has moved on to elite TEs.  An elite TE creates nightmare matchup problems.  My hope is that it would be Knox and he may still be that guy.  They have to add another TE and it will be up to Beane to decide if it is a veteran or a rookie.  

I would be more than fine with Pat Freiermuth at 30 if we take a TE. IMO, Pitts is the only other first round TE but he will be long gone.