Are Reporters Sharing Fake Draft News as a Smokescreen For Teams?

I listed to an interview with Joe Marino who works at the Draft Network - which is pretty small time compared to national outlets.  He claimed that he’s been approached by teams/agents to report the wrong information as a smokescreen.

Do you believe this is happening at the National level?

Take this tweet from Ian Rapoport.  I believe that either Miami is trading up to take a QB (Tua or Herbert) or they are bluffing as a smokescreen so 1 of the 2 QB’s are left by the time they pick.  The majority of people who replied to the tweet do as well.

Does anyone honestly believe they are trading up for a tackle?   It seems unlikely and that Rapoport has been given fake news as strategy.  So then why would be report this...

The question is does Rapoport:

a.) believe this rumor to be true

b.) know this rumor is likely false but is reporting it anyway for attention/engagement

c.) know the rumor is likely false but reporting fake as a favor for an agent/team

d.) getting a kickback to report fake news 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

Yes they do. They don’t get a kickback per se but they do it as a favor and then the team will then give them info to report first down the line. Rap sheet has Beane in his pocket btw. You can tell from the Melvin Gordon stuff. He also has the Chargers. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So you think there is truth to this rumour?  Miami is trading up for a tackle?  Not a QB?

The Dolphins with multiple picks might in the 1st just be waiting to see which QB falls to them with a later pick especially since picks after the top 10 get a lesser contract in their 5th year option it might be a wiser cap move taking a QB later than sooner. 

This is such a bad smokescreen by Miami that if I’m Detroit I smell the desperation and I’m asking for more trade comp.  Now Washington wants in on the shakedown.  Problem with Miami is they have so much draft capital and the Herbert stuff is nonsense.  It’s like walking into a Used Car dealership with hundred dollar bills falling out of your pockets.  

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So you think there is truth to this rumour?  Miami is trading up for a tackle?  Not a QB?

I think there is no truth to reporters getting paid or whatever to set up smokescreens for certain teams.  And I am sick and tired of people using the”fake news” nonsense.  Just because a reporter writes something you don’t like doesn’t make it fake.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think there is no truth to reporters getting paid or whatever to set up smokescreens for certain teams.  And I am sick and tired of people using the”fake news” nonsense.  Just because a reporter writes something you don’t like doesn’t make it fake.

Well you better get used to being sick and tired because that “report” from Rapoport is totally crap and everybody knows it.