Jump to content
Virgil

Sammy Watkins restructures contract - Will Return

Recommended Posts

Not that there was a ever a doubt IMO.  That’s a solid downgrade and I’m curious to see his performance now that he’s more “pay for play”
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

Edit: wow they had $177 in cap space a few days ago, according to USA Today.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.


Agreed. He has his moments but they have so many weapons that he’s an afterthought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

Agreed. We know as well as any team he’s likely never going to live up to his incredible potential. By accepting the restructure, it seems he’s finally realizing this too. I suspect the Chiefs have options after the season should he ‘break out’ for the 1st time in his career.. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

 

If his restructure is saving the Chefs $5M, it means the incentives are not-likely-to-be earned.  So he took a pay cut to stay, likely because they told him he'd have to take one or be cut and has been finding he can't get any better anywhere else.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to LAMP here, but I edited my post to show KC had $177 of cap space a few days ago. 

$177

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sammy the foot

  • Meh 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agreed. We know as well as any team he’s likely never going to live up to his incredible potential. By accepting the restructure, it seems he’s finally realizing this too. I suspect the Chiefs have options after the season should he ‘break out’ for the 1st time in his career.. 

I mean after 6 seasons is it potential or is it what you see is what you get?

Sammy might have one more 1000 yard season in him, but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

If his restructure is saving the Chefs $5M, it means the incentives are not-likely-to-be earned.  So he took a pay cut to stay, likely because they told him he'd have to take one or be cut and has been finding he can't get any better anywhere else.

This makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Not trying to LAMP here, but I edited my post to show KC had $177 of cap space a few days ago. 

$177

Andy spent that on dinner and thus he called up Sammy! 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Andy spent that on dinner and thus he called up Sammy! 

Must have had a coupon!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I mean after 6 seasons is it potential or is it what you see is what you get?

Sammy might have one more 1000 yard season in him, but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

You nailed it.   In the immortal words of Dennis Green, He is who we thought he was.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per


 

It goes to show how critical it is to have multiple deep threats. Can’t wait to see what we look like with two reliably healthy 1000 yard deep threats. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

Edit: wow they had $177 in cap space a few days ago, according to USA Today.

 

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

If his restructure is saving the Chefs $5M, it means the incentives are not-likely-to-be earned.  So he took a pay cut to stay, likely because they told him he'd have to take one or be cut and has been finding he can't get any better anywhere else.

 

He was on year 3 of a 3 year deal - he was a definite cut candidate.  16 mil cap hit with 9mil in space created if they cut him. 

 

 I think they'll draft someone this year though so they have a bit more insurance when they let him walk next year.  That'd give them Hill, Hardman, Draft pick to go with Kelce.  I'm sure they would like a RB as well, but i think they'll roll committee because its cheap and they'd probably be better suited building up the offensive line.  Not sure what they do with Chris Jones either, between him and clark you have like 35 million tied up in Defensive Ends - while also having like no corners.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

It goes to show how critical it is to have multiple deep threats. Can’t wait to see what we look like with two reliably healthy 1000 yard deep threats. 

 

And an 800 yard underneath guy.  If Knox can learn to secure the catch before running...

 

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He was on year 3 of a 3 year deal - he was a definite cut candidate.  16 mil cap hit with 9mil in space created if they cut him. 

 

 I think they'll draft someone this year though so they have a bit more insurance when they let him walk next year.  That'd give them Hill, Hardman, Draft pick to go with Kelce.  I'm sure they would like a RB as well, but i think they'll roll committee because its cheap and they'd probably be better suited building up the offensive line.  Not sure what they do with Chris Jones either, between him and clark you have like 35 million tied up in Defensive Ends - while also having like no corners.  

 

They'll have it tough when they have to give Mahomes $35-40M/year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I mean after 6 seasons is it potential or is it what you see is what you get?

Sammy might have one more 1000 yard season in him, but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

He looked pretty damn good in the biggest games for the chiefs in the playoffs.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He looked pretty damn good in the biggest games for the chiefs in the playoffs.

 

The last two years play offs he's shown up.

 

2018 - 176 yards (2 games) 

2019 - 288 yards (3 games) 1TD. 

 

He ruined Sherman when it really, really mattered in the Super Bowl. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He looked pretty damn good in the biggest games for the chiefs in the playoffs.

 

Chris Hogan looked good in a couple games for the Cheaters in the playoffs, namely the Philly SB.  The problem is, Foles looked better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

Edit: wow they had $177 in cap space a few days ago, according to USA Today.

 

I can never resist a good chance to bash Decoy Watkins.

 

Do you know Cole Beasley— basically our slot guy— on a team that is 5 times less explosive than the Chiefs, had better production that Watkins?

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

 

I can never resist a good chance to bash Decoy Watkins.

 

Do you know Cole Beasley— basically our slot guy— on a team that is 5 times less explosive than the Chiefs, had better production that Watkins?

 

Beasley was a #2 option...Watkins was behind Hill, Kelce, and sometimes even Hardman and Robinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...