The China Problem

LeviF

18 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Not really a worry. Pretty sure they'd have the Saudis, Egyptians, and Israelis kicking their asses if they were to try to use that base to close off the Red Sea.

Still not good for political stability in the region.  With a US presence in the region that base will be another wild card in the game of scenarios.  The Chinese might dare to do things that Russia was never willing to do in terms of showing force.

He was in his 50s. (Various sources have him from 52-58)

Chinese ambassador to Israel found dead in Hertzliya home

The Chinese Ambassador to Israel Du Wei was found dead in his Hertzliya home on Sunday morning, a Foreign Affairs Ministry official confirmed. Police are currently in his home and investigating.

The Chinese embassy, however, said that it cannot confirm the reports as of yet.

Edited by Hedge
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If the full story ever comes out, and it likely won't until well past our lifetimes, people will be furious.

From people who do the work of investigating these things, it's  looking more and more like it happened "accidentally on purpose". 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

29 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

From people who do the work of investigating these things, it's  looking more and more like it happened "accidentally on purpose". 

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that every bit of this is concocted. Not just by the Chinese, but by the globalists trying to hang onto power. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is what Pelosi was referring to when she told the president to "wait and see what we do" in October. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, sabrecrazed said:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that every bit of this is concocted. Not just by the Chinese, but by the globalists trying to hang onto power. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is what Pelosi was referring to when she told the president to "wait and see what we do" in October. 

The Office Yes GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like (+1) 5

35 minutes ago, sabrecrazed said:

Correct. I still do not know anyone with COVID nor do I know anyone personally who knows anyone with COVID.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Correct. I still do not know anyone with COVID nor do I know anyone personally who knows anyone with COVID.

Someone my mother worked with years ago supposedly died from it. She was well into her 90s and had been failing for a couple of years and was living in a NY nursing home. Other than that... same here. 

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Same. I know a few who think they had it early on but were never diagnosed. 

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I know two people in their 60’s, husband and wife, friends of my parents, who died.  The husband had underlying health issues, the wife did not.

A friend of mine had it and recovered.  He is a 44 year old with type 1 diabetes.

My brothers know multiple people at their work who are at various levels of infection and recovery.

One of my closest friends works in a warehouse which was shut down for 3 weeks after multiple employees tested positive.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

If the full story ever comes out, and it likely won't until well past our lifetimes, people will be furious.

"Accidentally on purpose".

I wonder if this perhaps means that the initial jail break of the virus was indeed accidental, but then the decision was made after that occurred to let the whole world suffer along with China.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Hedge said:

"Accidentally on purpose".

I wonder if this perhaps means that the initial jail break of the virus was indeed accidental, but then the decision was made after that occurred to let the whole world suffer along with China.

If China let this out on purpose or just by intentional neglect, they will do it again for a second wave and for as many waves as they can until a vaccine or heard immunity is reached.

8 hours ago, Hedge said:

The above seems possible as does a slow down in China.  Complete eradication or something near, as China seems to be claiming, does not seem possible.

There are many cases, most if not all, where intelligence needs to remain out of the public view.  In this case I'm sure the world's spies know a lot more about what is currently going on in China than we know, and I think disclosure is the right path.

If it is still there, we are effectively at war because China will keep unleashing it.  We deserve to know this.  We also deserve to decide whether to fight by ending our hostage status and re-opening despite what will be a rough ride until immunity is built.  Our other choice would seem to be to wait it out until a vaccine arrives.

Either way, the information from China is a critical piece of the puzzle.  The less we know about it, the more our arguments amongst each other are silly because they don't include enough information to define the "right" solution.

• Thank you (+1) 1

In mid-January, Chinese consulates in Canada and worldwide issued an urgent call. China was concerned that the new coronavirus raging in Wuhan was so deadly and infectious that its nurses and doctors would run out of safety supplies.

It needed personal protective equipment (PPE).

In just six weeks, China imported 2.5 billion pieces of epidemic safety equipment, including over two billion safety masks, Chinese government data shows.

And this raises big concerns on a number of fronts, say critics, including Conservative MP Erin O’Toole. 

China was evidently hiding the extent of a pandemic that endangered the world while covertly securing PPE at low prices. This “surreptitious” operation left “the world naked with no supply of PPE,” Jorge Guajardo, Mexico’s former ambassador to Beijing, told Global News. 

The result: starting in March, after COVID-19 had circled the globe, countries that provided masks to China in January and February were forced to compete for China’s supply. 

“One source told me in January it became well-known amongst military and emergency services that China was stockpiling masks and basically buying out as many quantities as it could,”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858818/coronavirus-china-united-front-canada-protective-equipment-shortage/

3 hours ago, ALF said:

In mid-January, Chinese consulates in Canada and worldwide issued an urgent call. China was concerned that the new coronavirus raging in Wuhan was so deadly and infectious that its nurses and doctors would run out of safety supplies.

It needed personal protective equipment (PPE).

In just six weeks, China imported 2.5 billion pieces of epidemic safety equipment, including over two billion safety masks, Chinese government data shows.

And this raises big concerns on a number of fronts, say critics, including Conservative MP Erin O’Toole. 

China was evidently hiding the extent of a pandemic that endangered the world while covertly securing PPE at low prices. This “surreptitious” operation left “the world naked with no supply of PPE,” Jorge Guajardo, Mexico’s former ambassador to Beijing, told Global News. 

The result: starting in March, after COVID-19 had circled the globe, countries that provided masks to China in January and February were forced to compete for China’s supply. 

“One source told me in January it became well-known amongst military and emergency services that China was stockpiling masks and basically buying out as many quantities as it could,”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858818/coronavirus-china-united-front-canada-protective-equipment-shortage/

My personal favorite was how the Chinese demanded that Italy buy back PPE that the Italians had donated to the Chinese.

16 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Jesus. That's pretty strong evidence of their uselessness when the facts are laid out.

There will still be a long line of ****heads claiming Trump is "picking on China" and calling him a racist for criticizing the Chinese government (as opposed to the people of China, or people of Chinese descent).

Edited by Prickly Pete

DECOUPLING: 

Apple to Make New Headphones in Vietnam in Shift From China. 

“Apple has tapped factories in Vietnam to make its own forthcoming over-ear headphones, a new phase in its effort to diversify manufacturing away from China amid political and trade tensions between Washington and Beijing, The Information has learned. The move would be the first time Apple has used factories in Vietnam to produce an entirely new product, instead of relying on them to supplement manufacturing of an older model already produced in China.”

• Like (+1) 3

China launches new Twitter accounts, 90,000 tweets in COVID-19 info war

China has pushed out 90,000 tweets since the start of April from 200 diplomatic and state media accounts in a COVID-19 information war offensive.

China has launched a Twitter offensive in the COVID-19 information war, more than doubling its number of official government tweets since January and in recent days using the platform to spread a conspiracy theory that the virus came from a U.S. government lab.

"The #US keeps calling for transparency & investigation. Why not open up Fort Detrick & other bio-labs for international review? Why not invite #WHO & int'l experts to the US to look into #COVI19 source & response?" the spokesperson for China's Foreign Affairs Ministry wrote in a May 8 tweet that has been liked more than 4,000 times.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

....sorry, Sleepy Joe said they are our friends......and he has a BOGO coupon for PPP so we're good............

China seizes control of PPE factories, sparking fear of new coronavirus wave

By Ebony Bowden, Heather Hauswirth | New York Post

China’s Communist Party is again seizing factory lines churning out the world’s supply of medical safety gear — sparking fears the country is preparing for a second wave of the coronavirus, American traders in China told The Post.

New Yorker Moshe Malamud, who has done business in China for over two decades, was moving tens of millions of pieces of protective gear to the U.S. at the height of the crisis but said suppliers in recent weeks had been overwhelmed with orders from the Chinese government.

• Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Couple of interesting parts of the article:

On May 5, around 250 Indian and Chinese army personnel clashed with iron rods, sticks, and even resorted to stone-pelting in the Pangong Tso lake area in which soldiers on both sides sustained injuries.

Assaulting each other with sticks and harsh language? What is this, kindergarten?

Both sides have been asserting that pending the final resolution of the boundary issue, it is necessary to maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas.

Yet, the PLA keeps creeping farther and farther into Indian Territory.

Modi needs to get his ***** together and defend his country.

Edited by Koko78
  • Thank you (+1) 1