Chargers moving forward with Tyrod for 2020

What a salty thread this is and I wasn’t even a Tyrod fan.  

TT in 2015 (first year as a starter):63.7%, 216.8 passing yard/ game, 20 passing tds, 6 ints, 99.4 qb rating, 510 yards rushing, 9 tds, and 9 fumbles = bum

Allen: 58.8%, 193.1 passing yard/ game, 20 passing tds, 9 ints, 85.3 qb rating, 568 yards rushing, 4 tds, and 14 fumbles = future star

obviously, Allen has a ton of upside.  He very easily can be better than Tyrod.  But it’s kinda disingenuous to bash a guy who helped us get to the playoffs while praising a guy who basically had a statistically worse season.  Do better. 

And they are definitely drafting a qb.

31 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Are the Chargers defense going to create a record amount of turnovers?

Some of you realize we had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod and missed the playoffs? Almost like how we had 26th ranked offense this year and made the playoffs.  Almost like it’s a team game.  

• Like (+1) 1

I would take Tyrod at his current pay over signing someone else on the market for probably more money.  I mean, who ever they sign is not the future and neither is TT.  They are either drafting one now or looking at a shot at someone like Trevor next year (likely drafting now).  

This makes sense to me, and while he isn't the long term franchise guy you want, he is capable of being a veteran starter in front of a Rookie and still help the team remain somewhat competitive.  

There is no one out there that is going to leap frog them up into contending for the division title.  But TT could keep them in range of the wildcard discussion if their team can stay healthy as there is enough talent on both sides of the ball.  Ultimately I think they end up a 6-8 win team, but who out there makes them much better than that?  And at what price?  

Im guessing Hebert is going to be a Charger soon and will take over sometime during the season from TT or certainly will in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

They made the playoffs in spite of Taylor, not because of him! He stunk during their playoff run

No they made the playoffs IN SPITE of the poor choice to bench him for a scrub 5th round pick while we were the 6th seed of the playoffs in week 11 against a struggling 3-6 Chargers team on a 2 game losing streak.  Their 3 wins were narrow wins against bad opponents too. 

I love McD and think he is currently one of the best young coaches in the NFL right now...but that was his one big blunder in my eyes as a rookie HC.  Ultimately it worked out still making the playoffs, but we would have most likely beaten the Chargers had we started TT instead of Nathan PickerMan that game.  

And winning that game would have meant we didnt need Cincy's help.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Tyrod will be benched by week 5 or 6. 

This.  He's ideal to start the year as the QB because he's easy to transition away from if whatever rookie they draft shows the staff they are ready.  And if the rookie isnt where they want him to be, they can still remain somewhat competitive with TT just as much as most the guys left on the market that would cost a lot more.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tyrod is as good as the Foles/Dalton/Mariota/Jameis/Trubisky level guys. It makes sense financially as well. They’ll draft a guy and play Tyrod until the guy is ready. No reason to pay 2 placeholder types.

nah,  don’t be fooled like Hue.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This.  He's ideal to start the year as the QB because he's easy to transition away from if whatever rookie they draft shows the staff they are ready.  And if the rookie isnt where they want him to be, they can still remain somewhat competitive with TT just as much as most the guys left on the market that would cost a lot more.  

Just think it is odd strategically from the Chargers. If you start a season with Brady you are in pure "win now" if you start it with Tyrod and rookie you are in "transition." How can you plan the rest of your offseason when you don't know which of those two very different scenarios you are aiming at? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just think it is odd strategically from the Chargers. If you start a season with Brady you are in pure "win now" if you start it with Tyrod and rookie you are in "transition." How can you plan the rest of your offseason when you don't know which of those two very different scenarios you are aiming at? 

Well I think it was they felt Brady was the only one who could put them in a place to truly contend for something and are not looking at the left overs out there as guys that help them beat teams like the Chiefs and Ravens.  So if you are not going to get over the hump, might as well keep the guy you have and focus on developing the rookie.  

I look at it as why throw good money at bad money?  Cam isnt what he used to be and an injury concern.  Winston, is well Winston.  Dalton had talented teams in Cincy before and couldn't get anywhere.  Etc etc.  Why pay those guys who want to start and could be a locker room issue if you want to bench them for a rookie midseason versus staying the course with a guy they know well whose a great locker room guy in Tyrod?  

So I just think it was as simple as them seeing the only QB to make them a viable playoff team with a chance to make a post season push was Brady.  

...uh oh...Tyrod back to 2nd fiddle?................

Chargers are debating the possible pursuit of Cam Newton

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2020, 1:38 PM EDT

The Panthers want to trade Cam Newton. They’ve yet to find a partner. Given the challenges associated with having team doctors conduct a proper physical in advance of any trade, the Panthers ultimately may have to cut Newton.

And if/when they do, the Chargers may be waiting.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Chargers currently are debating whether to pursue Newton. A trade remains unlikely given the inability of team doctors to give him a physical. But the Chargers could pursue Newton, if/when he’s released.

The Bears had been linked to Newton, but they’ve traded for Nick Foles. That leaves few seats for Newton.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/chargers-are-debating-the-possible-pursuit-of-cam-newton/

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tyrod is as good as the Foles/Dalton/Mariota/Jameis/Trubisky level guys. It makes sense financially as well. They’ll draft a guy and play Tyrod until the guy is ready. No reason to pay 2 placeholder types.

TT's limitations could only be hidden for so long and defenses finally saw he would not challenge them across the entire field.  HIs YPA, YPG, and sacks taken all declined from 2015 to 2017 and his progression just never happened from that first year with Rex.  Credit to Beane for getting a 3rd from Cleveland for him.

I'd be shocked (shocked!) if the LAC do not maneuver their way toward selecting a QB.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wonder if Bosa and Ingram and Allen are gonna want off the team? Let’s face it Chargers are probably gonna blow it up and start over especially with Tyrod as starting QB

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

I thin Cam would be a good fit for the Chargers---many of the play designs could work with Cam or Tyrod. I'm not sure what Cam's salary hit is but if too high maybe they could restructure. Of course they might just be interested in drafting a young QB at # 6 but they could also do both.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They are all interchangeable placeholders just with different strengths and weaknesses. 

Not true.   All those other names can score more than 3 points in a playoff game.  

He’s way behind Dalton Jameis and Trubisky      Maybe a wash with Mariota but I’d take Mariota 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1