Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chandler#81

One of the darkest days in Bills history. I’ll never forgive Ralph.

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How about when Ralph fired Polian?

 

How dark of a day was that?

  Almost as bad in the day that Ralph called Erie County to make sure the power was going to be on back during the mid-1980's just hours before a scheduled game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamonica was my dad's favorite. I'm named after him. Always told me worst trade Bills ever made

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

C7E32FBF-5CE4-410B-9A08-C0E1EAA5BC1C.jpeg


This was way before my time but it looks like Ralph was making terrible moves for decades.  He was not a good owner when it came to outing together a winning football product.  He got lucky with Polian/Marv

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SoTier said:

 

The article you quoted said that they reached an agreement with Smith.  It didn't say that he signed a contract.  There is a significant difference between agreeing to contract terms and actually signing the contract.   


He signed the contract. They had a press conference and everything, Rules were different back then. It was allowed to combat the USFL.

Edited by Mcdermott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SoTier said:

 

No college player can sign with any NFL team until after the NFL draft.   Bruce Smith was the #1 over all pick in 1985, which the Bills owned because of their crappy record the previous season.  Flutie was taken in the 11th round (#285) of the LA Rams.

 

I think that Smith rejected the WFL as an option, so the Bills drafted him, but he couldn't have been signed before the draft.   First round draft picks holding out into some time into TC was very common before the rookie salary cap went into effect about 2010 or so.

Smith agreed to terms before draft and Kelly was USFL player 

 

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

What I have heard over the years is that Wilson traded Lamonica because he had an affair with another player's wife.  I don't how true that was but it seems consistent with how Wilson ran the team.

 

I think that Lamonica would have failed in Buffalo.  The loss to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship (for the berth in Super Bowl I) was the Bills' last hurrah and ushered in 2 decades of misery for Bills fans which were only broken by Lou Saban's short lived return as coach (1972-the first 5 games of 1976) and the Chuck Knox regime (1978-1982)  until Bill Polian took charge of the Bills in 1986.  Between 1967 and 1985, the Bills were mostly uncompetitive with the rest of the NFL.  Wilson didn't like paying top money for quality players, so the Bills drafted primarily based either position (lots of DBs in the first round) or whether a draftee would accept the Bills' low ball salary offers in the first round.  In the 20 years between 1967 and 1986, the Bills had the #1 pick in the entire draft 4 times (OJ Simpson (1968), Walt Putulski (1972), Tom Cousineau (1979), and Bruce Smith (1985)), 3 top 5 picks, and 2 top ten picks.  Simpson and Smith both held out a long time before finally signing with the Bills.  Cousineau chose to play in the CFL rather than for the Bills.  Jim Kelly (the only QB taken in the first round during this period) chose the WFL over the Bills.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SoTier said:

What I have heard over the years is that Wilson traded Lamonica because he had an affair with another player's wife.  I don't how true that was but it seems consistent with how Wilson ran the team.

 

I think that Lamonica would have failed in Buffalo.  The loss to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship (for the berth in Super Bowl I) was the Bills' last hurrah and ushered in 2 decades of misery for Bills fans which were only broken by Lou Saban's short lived return as coach (1972-the first 5 games of 1976) and the Chuck Knox regime (1978-1982)  until Bill Polian took charge of the Bills in 1986.  Between 1967 and 1985, the Bills were mostly uncompetitive with the rest of the NFL.  Wilson didn't like paying top money for quality players, so the Bills drafted primarily based either position (lots of DBs in the first round) or whether a draftee would accept the Bills' low ball salary offers in the first round.  In the 20 years between 1967 and 1986, the Bills had the #1 pick in the entire draft 4 times (OJ Simpson (1968), Walt Putulski (1972), Tom Cousineau (1979), and Bruce Smith (1985)), 3 top 5 picks, and 2 top ten picks.  Simpson and Smith both held out a long time before finally signing with the Bills.  Cousineau chose to play in the CFL rather than for the Bills.  Jim Kelly (the only QB taken in the first round during this period) chose the WFL over the Bills.

 

 

I believe you meant to say USFL. The World Football League folded over a decade earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, njbuff said:

How about when Ralph fired Polian?

 

How dark of a day was that?

 

The Lamonica trade was a little before my time.  For me, Ralph's worst move was firing Bill Polian...for some words Bill had with Ralph's daughter.  All downhill from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mcdermott said:

The Bills chose Smith because he was clearly better then Childress. You are right, he didn’t hold out but they didn’t draft him because they could sign him.

As for Flutie, he ended up going in the 6th or 7th round which goes to show you how smart fans are.

Any person who watched Bruce in the North South game tackling everyone in sight for a loss could tell he was better than anyone on the DL that we had ever seen. That kid was awesome in college but it was his work effort to slim down in the pros that made him the great sacker he became. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

 

I believe you meant to say USFL. The World Football League folded over a decade earlier.

 

Mea culpa.  Thanks.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Take the goat for a walk.  You’ll both feel better.  Just stay out of the mall.

LMAO... a classic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, SoTier said:

What I have heard over the years is that Wilson traded Lamonica because he had an affair with another player's wife.  I don't how true that was but it seems consistent with how Wilson ran the team.

 

I think that Lamonica would have failed in Buffalo.  The loss to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship (for the berth in Super Bowl I) was the Bills' last hurrah and ushered in 2 decades of misery for Bills fans which were only broken by Lou Saban's short lived return as coach (1972-the first 5 games of 1976) and the Chuck Knox regime (1978-1982)  until Bill Polian took charge of the Bills in 1986.  Between 1967 and 1985, the Bills were mostly uncompetitive with the rest of the NFL.  Wilson didn't like paying top money for quality players, so the Bills drafted primarily based either position (lots of DBs in the first round) or whether a draftee would accept the Bills' low ball salary offers in the first round.  In the 20 years between 1967 and 1986, the Bills had the #1 pick in the entire draft 4 times (OJ Simpson (1968), Walt Putulski (1972), Tom Cousineau (1979), and Bruce Smith (1985)), 3 top 5 picks, and 2 top ten picks.  Simpson and Smith both held out a long time before finally signing with the Bills.  Cousineau chose to play in the CFL rather than for the Bills.  Jim Kelly (the only QB taken in the first round during this period) chose the WFL over the Bills.

 

Bruce Smith was not a hold out after the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have hard time saying I blame Ralph. Buffalo swung and miss but it seems that at the time the move made sense and was of fair value. If it is true also that the Lamonica had an affair or they had concerns on his medical health then it makes even more sense. Unfortunately with trades sometimes they work great, sometimes they are equal, and sometimes they are a disaster. Buffalo missed with Darryl but we hit homeruns with Bennett, McCoy, and Jerry Hughes to a lesser extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

Flash in the pan. Nothing more

Who? Lamonica?? Shirley, you jest. POY. Mad Bomber. Absolutely destroyed the Bills every time we played against him.

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Great story! Thanks GBID!

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buffaloed in Pa said:

Wow. Like i said. Flash in the pan.  Nobody knows him. Except old Bills fans

Git off’n my lawn, ya goddam Whippersnapper!

70063696-FD84-4DB4-AFA8-A6112C1D43C9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...