McBeane Approval Rating?

Aproval Rating of the Administration  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Through 3 years, and on the cusp of a huge offseason, where is your approval rating for the McBeane admin?

• 0-20
    • 21-40
    • 41-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100

81-90, closer to 81 than 90.  Basically they’ve done as good of a job as can be done without winning a game against NE, winning the division, or winning a playoff game.  I think at least one of those will happen this year.  If not, the grade goes down dramatically.  If two or more happen, the grade goes up .

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why do we have to lump them together? Beane is in charge of the roster. McDermott is in charge of coaching. They have different jobs. They are different people. They should receive different grades.

Are you SURE? 

I gave “them” an A, but a low A because I’m an easy grader. I love the direction and what they both offer for the most part, but I want to see more sustained winning and, well.......the KB move still has me scratching my head. All FO’s blow some moves, but that one seemed tainted by some pre-conceived notions. He was a tub who didn’t care and stole game checks. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Love the culture and expectation of winning.

Many shrewd moves (Phillips, McKenzie, Duke, Wade, overhauling OL, snaking draft picks for cast offs)

Great drafts! (young, cheap TALENT)

But some clunkers too (Benjamin, Vontae, overpaying Star, pursuing AB, etc)

Overall, love riding the upward trend with this team. Next 5+ years look VERY promising!

McKenzie, Duke and ....Wade were shrewd moves?  How so?

One isn't even on the roster and has never played football (American).

One they refused to play (or even dress) after 3 games in October...until week 17.  He caught 16 passes all year.

One was a 5th receiver option on a team with paper thin depth at any type of receiver.

Plus, the O-line is not yet overhauled....

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Their offense has been bad for 3 straight years..... Beane is a genius. 

I think if guys are giving out A's for bringing in players like that....well that's got to be "we're just happy to be here" crowd.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

One they refused to play (or even dress) after 3 games in October...until week 17.  He caught 16 passes all year.

One was a 5th receiver option on a team with paper thin depth at any type of receiver.

Giving Duke a second chance from CFL is a "move". McKenzie is cheap and was a smart "move" bringing him in as depth and speed. Taking advantage of the international rule for Wade was a clever "move" (not counting against roster). 4 new starters on the O-Line isn't an overhaul? Maybe it's not perfect yet, but that's an overhaul to me.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Giving Duke a second chance from CFL is a "move". McKenzie is cheap and was a smart "move" bringing him in as depth and speed. Taking advantage of the international rule for Wade was a clever "move" (not counting against roster). 4 new starters on the O-Line isn't an overhaul? Maybe it's not perfect yet, but that's an overhaul to me.

Serially replacing O-linemen...I guess you could call that a perennial "overhaul", but the OP said overhauled, which in popular parlance suggest it a job completed...for the better.

OP also said "shrewd" moves.  Singings of scrubs and long shots that you won't even play (even at positions of desperate need) don't really count as "shrewd moves".

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

Are you SURE? 

I gave “them” an A, but a low A because I’m an easy grader. I love the direction and what they both offer for the most part, but I want to see more sustained winning and, well.......the KB move still has me scratching my head. All FO’s blow some moves, but that one seemed tainted by some pre-conceived notions. He was a tub who didn’t care and stole game checks. 

I like the job that both are doing. There are certain things with each that I wish was a little better. I didn’t grade them because I would have them in 2 different brackets (both good though). 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t think that makes any sense. What if you like the roster but not the in game decisions? What if you like the preparedness of the team but think that the roster has major holes? We don’t say, “what’s your opinion of Hallen (Josh Allen and Jerry Hughes)?” Why, because they do different things!! There’s no reason to lump 2 people with very different roles together. 

Maybe my annoyance from this comes from my time in sports but these are very different roles. 

Agreed. I'm personally far more sold on the coaching staff maximizing roster talent than I am the roster construction(thus far).

We'll see how things progress, but this is an important offseason for Beane.

I get what's occurred thus far; they made the conscious decision to gut the roster and "start over." You can't argue that they've collectively produced far more than any Bills regime this century. 

But can they field a championship roster? Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the job that both are doing. There are certain things with each that I wish was a little better. I didn’t grade them because I would have them in 2 different brackets (both good though). 

Who would get the higher grade? 

I’d lean to McD, but it would be very close. They play hard and are ready on game day. The offense needs talent and play calling can get too cute, but still I’m a fan. That’s on both sides. Some game day stuff makes me wonder, but in general positive. I like Beane too, and I know they both had input into all decisions, but I have a hard time getting past the KB move, among others. Nobody is perfect. Keep making progress. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Serially replacing O-linemen...I guess you could call that a perennial "overhaul", but the OP said overhauled, which in popular parlance suggest it a job completed...for the better.

OP also said "shrewd" moves.  Singings of scrubs and long shots that you won't even play (even at positions of desperate need) don't really count as "shrewd moves".

I am the OP, and you ignored my other examples also (Phillips & snaking draft picks for cast offs - in particular Teller and Bodine (getting the better of NE on that too)).

Anyway, not sure what the problem is. I guess you don't like the use of the word shrewd. Whatever.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am guessing they could be narrowed down to a few.

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their offense has been bad for 3 straight years..... Beane is a genius. 

Found some candidates for those low scores.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d lean to McD, but it would be very close. They play hard and are ready on game day. The offense needs talent and play calling can get too cute, but still I’m a fan. That’s on both sides. Some game day stuff makes me wonder, but in general positive. I like Beane too, and I know they both had input into all decisions, but I have a hard time getting past the KB move, among others. Nobody is perfect. Keep making progress. 

I’m probably in the minority but I’d lean towards Beane. The depth and talent that they’ve added over the last few years is insane. Outside of KB there haven’t been a lot of bad misses (although time will tell with Ford). This is a big offseason for the Bills but one more good one and this team will be loaded.

I like McDermott a lot too. He’s built a phenomenal culture. His team’s play hard and are prepared. They RARELY just flat out beat themselves. With that being said, his clock management and challenge uses leave A LOT to be desired. At this point he’s much further head during the week than on Gameday. The good news is that it sounds like they are adding a title to a coach to focus on that. The sign of a good leader is recognizing issues and getting them fixed. 

I have confidence in both moving forward. My point was (and always will be) stop lumping 2 totally different jobs into 1 person. Evaluate them each on their own merits and responsibilities. That’s why I used the Josh and Hughes example. We’d never say was your opinion of “them?” They don’t do the same thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

McDermott gets the higher grade IMO.  He took a terrible roster to the playoffs in year 1.  Then he turned the 10th pick into an all-pro CB, an additional day 2 pick, and a number 1 the following year.  That’s impressive.  Beane will be judged based in large part by who the extra picks allowed him to draft at QB, and that has been a mixed bag so far.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Approval jumps into 81 - 90 tier with a playoff victory. 

91 - 100 as perennial contenders

Honestly though this is the best and most stable management I've been a part of for the last 25 years or so. 

Edited by DJB

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I am the OP, and you ignored my other examples also (Phillips & snaking draft picks for cast offs - in particular Teller and Bodine (getting the better of NE on that too)).

Anyway, not sure what the problem is. I guess you don't like the use of the word shrewd. Whatever.

You can't blame me for you misuse of the term "shrewd", which you specifically chose to describe those moves.  They were anything but.

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

Found some candidates for those low scores.

Wrong, yet again...

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Their mistakes.  IE Trading for Fat Boy

So you come up with one player who doesnt have a name over some 40 moves that have improved the team in 3 years and thst earned 90%-? How do you rate the performance of your own job? Have you had 1 miscue? Does that reduce yourself to 90% approval by your superiors? I hope not.

15 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

All in all they've done really well....except for that whole starting Nathan Peterman last year.  What was that about?

OC acted like some on this board because starting QB could not do what he wanted with that team and put his balls on chopping block supporting P5t5rman.

He got his balls cut off.