Favorite fast food places not available in WNY

Jrb1979

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

My last family order was 2 cheeseburgers (2 patties each), 1 BLT plus one little fry and no drinks as it was carry out.  Total was $24.26 plus $2.12 tax.  2 drinks for the kids would’ve added to that (I always get water).  Still, it’s about $10 pp on average when I go unless my 17 year old son is starving and gets a second burger.  That’s a very, very small premium over McD’s, BK, Wendy’s, etc.

As for the one little fry, if you’ve never gone to 5 Guys they always over serve fries.  They give you the container and then, regardless of size or number of fry containers purchased, dump a measured tin of fries into the bag.  I think it’s more fries than the little fry container has in it.  It’s part of their schtick.  We never want for more.  Honestly, the burgers are so filling I rarely even need the fries.  But they are fresh cut and soooo good.

Whatever Burger toppings you want are all included.  I get mine All the Way plus grilled jalapeños and hot sauce. 

I wonder why they charge so much more in Virginia.    They are blacklisted for me 

Five Guys fries are to me what Popeye’s is to Augie.  I like them, but they don’t like me.  ‘Nuff said.  ?

I think there’s still a Fuddruckers in Saskatoon.  Now there was a burger, Maple and Sweet Home Roads.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

1) I don’t believe these are in WNY, but Penn Station is a pretty solid sub joint that makes solid cheesesteaks and other subs. It definitely beats Subway, Jersey mike’s, DiBella’s, etc. 

The absolute best Italian going, lover their subs

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I would also add Shake Shack. Pretty comparable to In-N-Out. 

Shake Shack 1000X better in my opinion.

1) DC chain you may start to see expand is Nando's Peri Peri Chicken. Nando's is based in South Africa, only in DC and ILL now, think they will expand as the chicken is excellant. More fast casual than fast food 

https://www.nandosperiperi.com/

2) Cook Out is here in the mid Atlantic and south. Seems to me their business plan is move into buildings where other fast food places have failed, get cheap rent, and offer decent food for really cheap prices. Weird though cause one Cookout may be take out only if in an old Checkers, and others have eat in if old Burger King. 

And, will throw  this review in here ..as if i eat fast food more than likely breakfast. This reviewer really like the new Wendy's stuff 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/02/wendys-new-breakfast-sandwiches-actually-deliver-on-the-hype/

16 hours ago, Augie said:

A couple months ago I went to an “old fashion butcher shop” looking for boneless beef short ribs. The guy says they don't do that. Really? This is a butcher shop, right? Or is it Monty Python’s cheese shop? I call Whole Foods right in front of him, they connect me to the meat dept, tell him what I want and he tells me it will be ready in 15 minutes. I thanked “the butcher” for his time and went to WF. 

Costco has boneless short ribs..ot you know, you could butcher them your self in 30 seconds?

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Five Guys fries are to me what Popeye’s is to Augie.  I like them, but they don’t like me.  ‘Nuff said.  ?

I think there’s still a Fuddruckers in Saskatoon.  Now there was a burger, Maple and Sweet Home Roads.

There is no longer a Fudrucker’s there.  I moved to Williamsville almost 8 years ago and I think it was gone around that time.  It’s been a couple other restaurants and is currently an Anchor Bar.  People used to refer to the subsequent restaurant’s location as “Where Fudrucker’s used to be.”  That’s how I know. 

• Like (+1) 1

I always hit Earl of Sandwich any time I am in a city that has one.

I also have been thinking about Haddie B's hot chicken since going to Nashville for the Bills game last fall. That stuff was delicious.

Every SU game I have watched this season had commercials for a fast food place called Zaxbys. Never heard of it before that but the food looked pretty good, at least on TV.

Any one of those 3 coming up North to WNY or CNY would be great.

12 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

I always hit Earl of Sandwich any time I am in a city that has one.

I also have been thinking about Haddie B's hot chicken since going to Nashville for the Bills game last fall. That stuff was delicious.

Every SU game I have watched this season had commercials for a fast food place called Zaxbys. Never heard of it before that but the food looked pretty good, at least on TV.

Any one of those 3 coming up North to WNY or CNY would be great.

We have Zaxby's down here... its ok, nothing great nothing bad.

It’s not “fast food”, but why oh why did Swiss Chalet pull out of the US. I hear they plan to open one in Ft. Erie, so my drive for Swiss fix will be shortened, not having to go to Niagara Falls, Ont anymore. Love dunking those fries in the chalet sauce.

15 minutes ago, bopper2 said:

It’s not “fast food”, but why oh why did Swiss Chalet pull out of the US. I hear they plan to open one in Ft. Erie, so my drive for Swiss fix will be shortened, not having to go to Niagara Falls, Ont anymore. Love dunking those fries in the chalet sauce.

I don't know why they pulled out of the US but I don't get the obsession for it. I know a few other people from the Buffalo area that make trips to Canada just for Swiss Chalet. There is 3 of them in my city and I rarely go to them. 

Found a new one just yesterday. Mrs.C#81 & I celebrated 40 years of wedded bliss this weekend and we were looking for a new, nice place for a Sunday beer & meal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beef+on+Kimmelweck+near+me&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:,rc_ludocids:14578905772246114808,rc_q:Ann%20O'Malley's,ru_q:Ann%20O'Malley's

In the heart of St. Augustine’s historical district. Why? Cuz the owner is from Buffalo. Beef on Kimmelweck every Sunday!! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=o'malley's+st+augustine+florida&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#lkt=LocalPoiReviews&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:,rc_ludocids:14578905772246114808,rc_q:Ann%20O'Malley's,ru_q:Ann%20O'Malley's

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Found a new one just yesterday. Mrs.C#81 & I celebrated 40 years of wedded bliss this weekend and we were looking for a new, nice place for a Sunday beer & meal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beef+on+Kimmelweck+near+me&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:,rc_ludocids:14578905772246114808,rc_q:Ann%20O'Malley's,ru_q:Ann%20O'Malley's

In the heart of St. Augustine’s historical district. Why? Cuz the owner is from Buffalo. Beef on Kimmelweck every Sunday!! 

I laughed... clicked on your link and it brought up the places around here. You must have a Publix near you, you're just up the state... if you give them a day or two notice they will make Kimmelweck rolls for you. Beef on Weck is easy to make really, not much rocket science involved. I like the Millers horseradish over any other, it'll clear your sinuses out in no time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, T&C said:

A Zaxby’s opened a mile from my house 2-3 years ago. I drive past it almost every day. I have yet to stop. For some reason it just doesn’t appeal to me, and I’ve never been inside. I can’t explain it. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

A Zaxby’s opened a mile from my house 2-3 years ago. I drive past it almost every day. I have yet to stop. For some reason it just doesn’t appeal to me, and I’ve never been inside. I can’t explain it. 

You aren't missing much, like I said its ok... I went once and wasn't wowed. 

I took a little look and see that you have 3 Captain D's in your area. Now That's a place I still wish was still close to me... worth going out of your way for.

9 minutes ago, T&C said:

I laughed... clicked on your link and it brought up the places around here. You must have a Publix near you, you're just up the state... if you give them a day or two notice they will make Kimmelweck rolls for you. Beef on Weck is easy to make really, not much rocket science involved. I like the Millers horseradish over any other, it'll clear your sinuses out in no time.

Interesting. -and sorry. The 2nd, bottom link should take you to customer reviews.

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Personally, I was unimpressed. Menu, service, ambiance. Nothing great.

11 minutes ago, T&C said:

Miller's is the shizzit.  Can't buy it in my area, unfortunately, but I've found other horseradish that packs a punch.  I love making beef on weck at home.  Last time was Super Bowl Sunday.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Miller's is the shizzit.  Can't buy it in my area, unfortunately, but I've found other horseradish that packs a punch.  I love making beef on weck at home.  Last time was Super Bowl Sunday.

It really is... blow your head off. But, it isn't kept in the condiment aisles... could that be why you're not finding it? Just like Maries isn't either. Millers is refridgerated, usually by hotdogs, ham, that kind of stuff.

Depending on where you live... I know its not Attica State Prison lol... any bakery worth its "salt" should be able to make you the rolls. Like I mentioned above, we have Publix here that will. Would think Wegmans would do the same as well.

19 minutes ago, T&C said:

It really is... blow your head off. But, it isn't kept in the condiment aisles... could that be why you're not finding it? Just like Maries isn't either. Millers is refridgerated, usually by hotdogs, ham, that kind of stuff.

Depending on where you live... I know its not Attica State Prison lol... any bakery worth its "salt" should be able to make you the rolls. Like I mentioned above, we have Publix here that will. Would think Wegmans would do the same as well.

I just buy decent Kaiser rolls, brush them with butter then dip them in salt and caraway seeds, then throw them in the oven for a few minutes.

I'm about 5.5 hours east of Buffalo.  I might be able to find Miller's in a butcher shop, but definitely not in my local supermarket, unfortunately.

At one of the tailgates last year, @Cripple Creek made beef on weck. @BringBackFergy assembled one for me and loaded it with Miller's.  First bite was a shocker!!!!  Great stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just buy decent Kaiser rolls, brush them with butter then dip them in salt and caraway seeds, then throw them in the oven for a few minutes.

I'm about 5.5 hours east of Buffalo.  I might be able to find Miller's in a butcher shop, but definitely not in my local supermarket, unfortunately.

At one of the tailgates last year, @Cripple Creek made beef on weck. @BringBackFergy assembled one for me and loaded it with Miller's.  First bite was a shocker!!!!  Great stuff.

Thought for sure they would have it... they Show it at the top, but only Redlinski's... which is probably pretty decent. https://www.buffalofoods.com/ecommerce/condiments-sauce/horseradish.html

We used to grow our own in WNY (funny but I graduated from Attica high school, how I know your location addy) and processed it at the end of summer/beginning of fall. Everything was done outside... everybody crying too. Very easy to grow btw.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As I’ve stated before, horseradish in my house was not a garnish, it was a Klingon pain ritual.  “Only a level spoonful?!  You are without honour!”

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Very easy to grow btw.

Not only easy to grow, it will easily spread.  An acquaintance suggested grow it in cut down barrels.

I think that Anderson's in WNY is just so good that they really don't need any more fast food places. If they opened on Long Island with the same quality they would be multi-millionaires. Ted's is also insanely great. Fast food is much better upstate than down here.

Did Chick fil a come up there yet? That is the best we have down this way and they do more business than one could imagine.

23 minutes ago, T&C said:

Thought for sure they would have it... they Show it at the top, but only Redlinski's... which is probably pretty decent. https://www.buffalofoods.com/ecommerce/condiments-sauce/horseradish.html

We used to grow our own in WNY (funny but I graduated from Attica high school, how I know your location addy) and processed it at the end of summer/beginning of fall. Everything was done outside... everybody crying too. Very easy to grow btw.

Found some!  https://www.nystyledeli.com/cgi-bin/deli/hor_mill.html

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

As I’ve stated before, horseradish in my house was not a garnish, it was a Klingon pain ritual.  “Only a level spoonful?!  You are without honour!”

Not only easy to grow, it will easily spread.  An acquaintance suggested grow it in cut down barrels.

You are right, it does spread. We had a lot of land though and just had it off to the side, didn't matter how much it spread. Good idea with the half barrel for people in neighborhoods though.

That is one crop that you don't have to worry about bugs or animals messing with.

Edited by T&C

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Raising Canes is supposedly very good, but I have never been.

https://tinyurl.com/ux655hv

Portillo's i have been to once, had an excellent Chicago Dog

https://www.portillos.com/menu/restaurant/

Also, i think mainly VA and NC is Smithfield Chicken and BBQ. Very good fried chicken too

https://www.scnbnc.com/about-us/

Got a Portillo's down here a couple of years ago... love it. Kind of like Ted's at twice the price, I don't mind paying more there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We have... 

http://bergsteinsny.com/menu/chicago-heights

cb.png?format=1500w

And when the market tanks, this does well:

5a27fe58f914c354018b830f?width=1100&form

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

Got a Portillo's down here a couple of years ago... love it. Kind of like Ted's at twice the price, I don't mind paying more there. 

Yup... Portillo's is awesome!!!

Shoop's (handmade, est 1948) is good... First restaurant my son went to (Michigan City, Indiana):

https://www.schoophamburgers.com

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRno2RBEQ2pyPgC5ZWSM2q

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Got one of those down here a few years ago... probably have driven past it 100 times but never stopped in. Is the fish fry any good?

Yes... I like it... You can get Northern Pike I believe.  It's outta Wisconsin, the chain... Hence the cheese curds and custard..

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T&C said:

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Personally, I was unimpressed. Menu, service, ambiance. Nothing great.

Well I will officially remove that from my list.

They do a good job of advertising, at least good enough for me that I always felt the need to try it.

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes... I like it... You can get Northern Pike I believe.  It's outta Wisconsin, the chain... Hence the cheese curds and custard..

Northern pike??  You sure about that?  Yuck.

I had walleye when I was in Wisconsin.  I've never heard of anyone eating pike.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

You aren't missing much, like I said its ok... I went once and wasn't wowed. 

I took a little look and see that you have 3 Captain D's in your area. Now That's a place I still wish was still close to me... worth going out of your way for.

I have never been in a Captain D’s and am not even sure where they might be located. Like Aldi’s, I probably drive past them every day! 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have never been in a Captain D’s and am not even sure where they might be located. Like Aldi’s, I probably drive past them every day! 

image.thumb.png.fb7f44f8fa573b2abdd003e4a87fe67f.png

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

image.thumb.png.fb7f44f8fa573b2abdd003e4a87fe67f.png

I just looked, and there’s one I could easily walk to from a park where I  walk or play tennis 4-5 times a week. It’s like two blocks away! I just come from the other direction. 

• Like (+1) 1