Internally there’s some love for Tee Higgins

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He does cut pretty well though. I like his feet for a big guy he can quick step pretty well. I think the separation thing is overblown. I mean he isn't Antonio Brown (pre meltdown) but I see plenty of plays on Higgins's tape where he is able to generate sufficient even against better players. 

He does a really good job of using his hands while the ball is in the air, he will make sure he has enough room to make the catch by stiff-arming the defender nicely and having enough ability to come down with the ball. He reminds me a little of Plaxico Burress when he came out, hopefully he will get some more yac than Plax.

He looks like just what JA needs, someone he can go to for those mid level throws that's going to come down with the ball more often than not. Not going to take the top off the defense but if you like Duke Williams Tee should fill that role well enough to get a lot of time on the field in 2020. Then John Brown will get some more space to do his thing.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't love Higgins as a prospect, I just think of all the 2nd tier guys he fits our offense best. All the other guys mentioned in that range - Hamler, Reagor, Aiyuk, Jefferson etc. - I see as very similar to what Brown or Beasley already do for us. I'm looking for something our offense doesn't already have. IMO Higgins offers a missing skill set that the other guys don't. He's finally a true outside size receiver with a big catch radius. Allen would love him.

FWIW I also think Shenault offers a different type of skill set and would immediately be a massive upgrade for McKenzie's role. But his injury concerns are very real and I think he might be available at our pick in round 2. If we aren't planning on trading up I would be happy with Higgins and Shenault as our top 2 picks.

I am a massive Shenault fan!!! I agree tho the injuries concerns are def reason for caution. I was pounding the table for him at 22, but this recent core injury has really put a damper on that. 

14 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

He does a really good job of using his hands while the ball is in the air, he will make sure he has enough room to make the catch by stiff-arming the defender nicely and having enough ability to come down with the ball. He reminds me a little of Plaxico Burress when he came out, hopefully he will get some more yac than Plax.

He looks like just what JA needs, someone he can go to for those mid level throws that's going to come down with the ball more often than not. Not going to take the top off the defense but if you like Duke Williams Tee should fill that role well enough to get a lot of time on the field in 2020. Then John Brown will get some more space to do his thing.

Great call on Plax, I was trying to place it, thats a great comparison.  He looks fast enough, has some pretty amazing body control and the hands are insane.  He should have no problem finding a role in the NFL, but it might take a year before hes a big impact guy.

20 hours ago, HappyDays said:

FWIW I also think Shenault offers a different type of skill set and would immediately be a massive upgrade for McKenzie's role. But his injury concerns are very real and I think he might be available at our pick in round 2. If we aren't planning on trading up I would be happy with Higgins and Shenault as our top 2 picks.

After watching everything I could get my hands on with the WR's I felt were in play at #22 (Laviska, Tee, Jefferson, Mims, Reagor, Aiyuk), I have to admit to liking all of them for different reasons...But Laviska was pretty clearly the head of that pack for me based on his versatility...I mean...He was the Buffs Wildcat RB! Plus he did all kinds of stuff as the #1 WR...He's a Swiss Army knife...He really can do it all and he has decent size...He reminded me of JuJu...And I was a HUGE JuJu fan when he came out...Still can't believe the Bills went with Zay over JuJu...Anyway...

Then came the Combine...I took one look at him lined up for the 40 and told my Nephew..."He looks fat"...I mean...Relatively speaking of course...Then he runs slow, we have another injury to worry about...Ugh...I just think as deep as this group is you let another team take the gamble on Laviska...And it REALLY pains me to say that because all things equal, injuries aside, I LOVE the kid...But IMHO this team can ill-afford using #22, or even #54, on a WR who can't be on the field...They're trying to win the Division in 2020...They NEED that WR group to improve big time...And any prospect's most important ability is availability...?

On 3/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, Logic said:

The funny thing about draft season is that a bunch of people who've never watched these college players in their life suddenly become experts on them. Everyone watches a few Youtube highlight clips, reads a few scouting reports, and suddenly knows everything there is to know about a player and becomes very passionate about either defending or deriding him.

I include myself in this. 

One minute I don't know a damn thing about a wide receiver prospect, the next minute I've spent a half hour watching clips and reading about him, and suddenly I've got a passionate position.

"Can't separate".
"Doesn't run the whole route tree".
"I'll be FURIOUS if they take Higgins at 22!". 
"I'll be THRILLED if they take Higgins at 22!".

Bunch of folks who know nothing, pretending like they know everything. 

God, I love draft season.

Yep - i can't say much about a lot of these guys.  I didn't watch a ton of clemson but from what i can remember 1 - he'd line up in the slot occasionally, so that tells me the route tree is somewhat developed 2- huge target for RPOs with huge catch radius for our QB who can be rather scattershot.  3 - Great contested catch guy 4 - beast in red zone 5 - hard to bring down.  

Specifically - I do remember higgins running over LSU's defense for a TD in the national championship.  He didn't look very fast there, but he broke an arm tackle and trucked the safety into the endzone.  He also got kinda boned on an OPI call in that game on a deep ball TD (i thought they were both pushing, the LSU guy just fell over so he got the call).  

I don't watch film, and I'm not going to say he's the guy or he's not the guy.  Just pointing out reasons why he's probably a 1st round pick, despite his 40 likely being on the slow side.  

• Like (+1) 2