Internally there’s some love for Tee Higgins

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I can certainly understand the buzz about Higgins. He might be the best in the class at catching area code balls which Allen usually throws. Especially down the field. Wouldn’t be shocked one bit if he is their target. The only thing that concerns me is his mysterious absence at the on field workouts at the combine...

Burrows did the same thing and used the same reasoning but no one is all over him for it.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He passed on 3 good ones in the 2nd to pick Ford last year

So you’re saying that he doesn’t know how to evaluate WRs because of one draft pick?  Because he took a RT that had a first rd grade according to many, coming off a season in which we had maybe the worst running game and offensive line I’ve ever seen.  We NEEDED a RT.  While Ford may not have been very effective at RT, that has more to do with his OL scouting proficiency than it does his WR scouting proficiency.  He may have very well had high grades on the WRs, but he obviously thought that getting ford to play RT was more important.

I can’t really argue with that, especially when you consider the fact that the best WR, Aj brown (imo), was considered a slot wr and we had just signed Beasley for that role. mclaurin is very similar to a WR we just signed in Brown and Metcalf was coming off season ending neck surgery and had many flags according to many, which was shown when every team passed on him, many 2-3 times

I'll wait till his  pro day to decide what I think of him,  I want to see his 40, of course, but I'd also like to see his 3 cone drill, his weight and his bench press.  Speaking of which, his pro day is next Thursday.

Edited by TigerJ

56 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

there was no mystery - he said he wasn't physically prepared. It would have been a mystery had he not explained his absence

There was no indication that he wasn’t prepared going into the combine. And since you brought it up, that’s even more concerning. He had how long to “be prepared”?  Not a good look...

26 minutes ago, Dafan said:

Burrows did the same thing and used the same reasoning but no one is all over him for it.

Burrows is the unquestioned number one overall pick. He literally has nothing more to prove. Completely different...

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So you’re saying that he doesn’t know how to evaluate WRs because of one draft pick?  Because he took a RT that had a first rd grade according to many, coming off a season in which we had maybe the worst running game and offensive line I’ve ever seen.  We NEEDED a RT.  While Ford may not have been very effective at RT, that has more to do with his OL scouting proficiency than it does his WR scouting proficiency.  He may have very well had high grades on the WRs, but he obviously thought that getting ford to play RT was more important.

I can’t really argue with that, especially when you consider the fact that the best WR, Aj brown (imo), was considered a slot wr and we had just signed Beasley for that role. mclaurin is very similar to a WR we just signed in Brown and Metcalf was coming off season ending neck surgery and had many flags according to many, which was shown when every team passed on him, many 2-3 times

This will be his 3rd draft.

We needed a WR and they were there in that draft.

Ford will likely be moved to G.

Tennessee didn't consider AJ Brown. slow WR (who did?).

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

29 teams passed on AJ Brown before the Titans took him and 31 teams passed on DK Metcalf before the Seahawks took him. Stop acting like Beane obviously should've known they would've been as good as they were. And who was the 3rd receiver he missed?

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This will be his 3rd draft.

I realize this is his 3rd draft.  I’ve mentioned that in previous posts in this thread.

We needed a WR and they were there in that draft.

We needed a RT and there was one with a first rd grade in the 2nd rd.

Ford will likely be moved to G.

That has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to scout WRs

Tennessee didn't consider AJ Brown. slot (fixed) WR (who did?).

Every scouting report I’ve read on him.  His coach at Ole Miss.  Vrabel.  He played a lot of slot.  They just made a mistake signing Humphries and then drafting him.  Humphries was wasted.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s not my favorite prospect but I defer to Beane on all things. He’s done a nice job in the draft. I’ll trust him and not complain. 

WR is a little discomfort in there but my own worry fixes nothing 

16 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

29 teams passed on AJ Brown before the Titans took him and 31 teams passed on DK Metcalf before the Seahawks took him. Stop acting like Beane obviously should've known they would've been as good as they were. And who was the 3rd receiver he missed?

This is always a weak argument.  It should be obvious not every team has the same need with their 1st 2 picks in the draft.  Why even repeat this?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Terry McLaurin, Mecole Hardman...want me to keep going?

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

On the one hand, you say Ford had a 1st round grade.  Then you say maybe Beane wasn't so good at scouting O-line.  Right...

As for Brown, I had to go only as far as the first link that pops up re: his speed, on NFL.com "Built for the NFL with outstanding lean muscle mass over compact frame. Elevated competitiveness and determination. Routes are fast, but he adds speed variance when needed."

CBS.com had the Bills as his most likely spot.

Edited by Mr. WEO

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Higgins shouldn’t be picked in the first round.  He’s pretty much a one trick pony at WR.  

I'm not big on Higgins but they said the same thing about Metcalf being a one trick pony. That worked out well for Seattle. If they do choose Higgins hopefully it’s one hell of a trick. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

On the one hand, you say Ford had a 1st round grade.  Then you say maybe Beane wasn't so good at scouting O-line.  Right...

And?  I said ford had a first rd grade according to many, because he did.....

I said maybe Beane wasn’t so good at scouting Oline based on what I saw from ford last year.  Not sure what your inferring

As for Brown, I had to go only as far as the first link that pops up re: his speed, on NFL.com "Built for the NFL with outstanding lean muscle mass over compact frame. Elevated competitiveness and determination. Routes are fast, but he adds speed variance when needed."

So because you picked out one sentence on the internet.........now aj brown wasn’t seen by many as a great fit in the slot?  Wtf are you even talking about?  Go read more maybe? K thanks 

WHO EVER SAID BROWN WAS SLOW?  I said SLOT

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The O line was the obvious priority, teams are built from the lines out, not the WRs in.  Beane has done a very good job. We went 10-6 and went to the playoffs on the quality of the FA acquisitions, and that draft, It was a successful draft and season.  Having a GM with a viable plan is helpful, now we have a super deep WR draft, and the coin to get the right free agents, perfect timing don’t you think? 

We are light years ahead of the stupid that went on for seventeen straight years. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Logic said:

89 yards from scrimmage and a TD against LSU. Not out of this world production, but not "invisible".

3 for 52 as a receiver in the 2020 national championship game, with only one catch in the second half.     

3 for 81 as a receiver in the 2019 national championship game, with only one catch in the second half.

Small sample, but interesting nevertheless...

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

Terry McLaurin, Mecole Hardman...want me to keep going?

Every single team passed on McLaurin, and Hardman caught 26 passes in the pass happy Chiefs offense. I'd hardly consider him someone we missed out on.

Edited by gobills404

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

3 for 52 as a receiver in the 2020 national championship game, with only one catch in the second half.     

3 for 81 as a receiver in the 2019 national championship game, with only one catch in the second half.

Small sample, but interesting nevertheless...

Julio Jones had

1 catch for 21 yards in his bowl game his sophomore year

3 catches 49 yards in his bowl game his junior year

0 touchdowns.

not like it means anything

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1