Sign in to follow this  
SlimShady'sGhost

Why the Bills should consider giving Tre'Davious White an extension now

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Pay him as the top DB? He’s not even in the PFF top 101 players. Bust. 

my thinking is pay him now on the cheap before the league catches on! 

Tre or any player for that matter in this situation would want the money now. One ACL and that contract will look a lot different. This is the “set for life” contract and you don’t risk playing another season and possible injuries if you don’t have to. I would fully expect they will work something out. Tre waiting on the new CBA could be a seriously bad gamble 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I do but some cats actually like where they’re at. Not saying he does or doesn’t and trying to put my Bills bias aside but we have the potential for something special brewing, especially on the Defensive side.

I would add that some of us are jaded by the past( Byrd, Peters) and might expect history to repeat itself. Tre doesn’t seem like a complete selfish weeney like those two.

I agree.  Tre seems very level headed too.  He's a family man and signing an extension now (if one is offered) will set him and his family up

for life.  Why take the risk of a few million more down the road.  It will be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I do but some cats actually like where they’re at. Not saying he does or doesn’t and trying to put my Bills bias aside but we have the potential for something special brewing, especially on the Defensive side.

I would add that some of us are jaded by the past( Byrd, Peters) and might expect history to repeat itself. Tre doesn’t seem like a complete selfish weeney like those two.

Cats? Did not know this was a feline thread. 

Edited by ALLEN1QB

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Ralph Wilson came to me in a dream last night.  He said let Tre play out his contract and then franchise him.  

Yup.  Take the 5th year option, franchise hum twice.  That's the cheapest way to keep him for 4 more years.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that we are in the ballpark

Also, another prediction as soon as Tre signs that contract he goes from our favorite player to public enemy number 1. Bills fans HATE highly compensated players.

Yep...I’ll never understand it.

The minute Cordy got paid he was PE1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I don’t think either of those guys were selfish. They wanted their market value. We were not giving it to them. They had to go elsewhere to get it. It’s the same in every job. If you aren’t being paid what you are worth you will explore your options and someone else will do that. We’ve all done it.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize that’s a 2 way street right?  It’s not just Beane wanting to, it’s Tre and his team being willing too.  They know what’s coming with the CBA too.

What's coming with the CBA?

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep...I’ll never understand it.

The minute Cordy got paid he was PE1

I really don’t think it’s like that everywhere. It is too a lesser degree but not like us. We legitimately hold it against guys. Mario Williams was a dominant player for a couple of years. There are people on here that have said he is their least favorite Bills player ever. I can’t fathom that!! We’ve had so many bad players!! How can you hate a guy that was a 1st team All-Pro?!?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I really don’t think it’s like that everywhere. It is too a lesser degree but not like us. We legitimately hold it against guys. Mario Williams was a dominant player for a couple of years. There are people on here that have said he is their least favorite eBills player ever. I can’t fathom that!! We’ve had so many bad players!! How can you hate a guy that was a 1st team All-Pro?!?

OMG remember when folks said that they don’t want Clowney because he might be another Mario Williams? 😝

Yeah, how dare the guy pop off for 38 sacks and 51 TFLs in his first 3 seasons 🤣

I’d trip over my own man parts (if I were so endowed) sprinting to pay a guy $20M AAV if I could have those numbers.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  Tre seems very level headed too.  He's a family man and signing an extension now (if one is offered) will set him and his family up

for life.  Why take the risk of a few million more down the road.  It will be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

Was just about to post the same.

Brady took a bunch of team friendly deals . He didn’t need to, of all players ever. He’s got enough money.

Someone suggested injuries weren’t a major concern over 2 years as an NFLDB?!?!?

Tre has already played hurt, all players do. Guaranteed 💰 now that is “ Generational changing”  is a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

I can go either way, but there is an implication of Allen’s deal.  Now you can kick the can for one year with the tag for him so three more years, but that 30+ mil contract is coming.  If we can sweeten by a higher than normal guarantee, but now you’ve space out the two big contracts coming and some mid level one like Milano.

We also if not wrong have Poyer and Hyde in two years, so another to consider to keep the best of this band together.  I think it’s a smart move if it can be  agreeable to his camp.  Guaranteed $ as you know is so important they know for sure they’ve taken care of their families no matter what.  Because he’s so young, a five year deal would be optimal.

Just stuff to kick around in the drought period of NFL season. 

31 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I think he's overrated.

I don’t think he’s the best DB in the league but paying him that way the game is played. Doing it now is prudent in the long run.

26 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’d trip over my own man parts (if I were so endowed) sprinting to pay a guy $20M AAV if I could have those numbers.

That is a visual I don't need

55 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I think he's overrated.

Regardless, he WILL be the highest paid CB in the league at some point. The question is when is the best time to do that? Do we take the cheaper years now and then pay the bigger salary down the road under the new CBA? Do you offer him 5 years $75-$80M with $50M guaranteed now instead? It costs you more now but saves you down the road. That’s the debate

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I was just saying if it doesnt get done, it doesn't automatically equate to Beane not doing his job or a good job.  We have no idea what Tre and his team are thinking, but its certainly a real possibility they are quite interested in the new CBA for obvious reasons.  

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's coming with the CBA?

The potential ability to sign bigger contracts.  

• Like (+1) 1

NO NO NO! I've been following the Bills long enough to know you cannot resign a CB. The proper thing to do is have him play out his rookie contract and then let him walk. You can always draft his replacement in the 1st round. By the numbers... we use roughly 3 starting CBs these days so, we should be drafting a CB every other year in round 1. Yep that sounds about right. :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 2

My *only* concern, and its a minor one is that a deal signed today could be a recipe for a hold out in 2 years if/when a new CBA is signed and people are making more money. But I dont think Tre and Beane would let that happen.

No.  He is Cost Controlled for 3 more years (this year, next year and then the Tag).

You approach him about an extension AFTER this year.

With the CBA expiring and the rules that come with it, I dont think you see a lot of extensions this year until the CBA is worked out.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No.  He is Cost Controlled for 3 more years (this year, next year and then the Tag).

You approach him about an extension AFTER this year.

With the CBA expiring and the rules that come with it, I dont think you see a lot of extensions this year until the CBA is worked out.

Yes I agree this is the right approach, also imo important to consider the FO relationship w White is strong enough to float him until both sides are ready

I am 100% he knows he is priority 1 and will be rewarded as such

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry dude, but a much more interesting thread would be if you could give reasons "Why Tre White should consider signing an Extension now".

Signing an extension now is pretty much 100% in the team's favor, and a major detriment to the player outside of a (unlikely) catastrophic career ending injury.

Besides the small possibility of such an injury, there is really no reason Tre's camp should consider. And THAT is the major factor into why it isn't happening.

So many posts and threads sounding like all that needs to happen is the Bills to make an offer. That's not the way it works. Two to tango and all that.

Threat of season ending or career threatening injury...

So you sign him now he will be the highest paid CB for a Year until next Top CB to sign a contract. 

you sign him Next year (so he doesn’t play on his 5th year option you get the Highest paid CB for a year then another Contract out does his. 

there is Literally NO REASON for either the Bills or White to do a contract until the new CBA agreed on.