Reasons I think Josh is more viable long term than Jackson

Orlando Tim

Year three is make or break for Josh in my opinion (and a rather obvious statement) I feel that they will add a high degree of talent at the pass catching position and retain a strong O-line and ground game. Josh will have 2 years under his belt over 20 starts and a good amount of talent across the board. Josh has to ascend to being a top 10 QB or close to it in order for this team to be a serious contender and for Josh to show his viability long term. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I truly think the Bills intentionally put Josh into some tough spots this year and he grew during them. They did not give him the big reciever as a security blanket, he had only small precise recievers which forced him to be more accurate. They called plays that were not one read plays but required him to make decisions during plays, forcing him to grow mentally. Lastly I think he learns best on the field and his playing time is a big help.

Why I think Jackson is not as viable long term is his offense was already tailor made for him and once his athleticism slips at all he will have issues being more traditional.

how did ‘because you’re a Bills fan’ not make this list? 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

???? Josh Allen's mom is Lavonne Allen

Josh Allen's agent is listed as Tom Condon of CAA Sports

No, no, no … you are all confused.  Lamont Allen is Lavar Jackson's agent.  Josh Allen's agent is Scott Boras and Tom Condon used to be married to Roseanne Barr.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Whose scale? The stat obsessed, rotisserie baseball fanatics that think DVOARTxY(Yac)/V2-{x/z) percentage is more important than, you know, winning games? 

A raw, small town college QB in just his second year secures a playoff spot with two weeks to spare and has his team within a few plays of winning the division and securing a bye has proved that he is in fact the one. 

In the next two years if all Josh manages to do is, with the same stats, get us in to the playoffs two more times so that he has done it in three consecutive seasons, what then? Since that seems not to be good enough to prove that "he is in fact the one", will people be calling for the team to cut a QB who gets his team into the playoffs three years in a row? 

The argument is over, all those who still can't get over the fact that we didn't draft Rosen or Rudolph or whatever just have to accept reality: Josh is our franchise QB. 

Franchise QB? Very well could be, but he is a franchise QB in training at this point. Like it or not he is not consistent enough, and fumbles way to much.

The NFLs scale, as seen by our coaches & GM, that’s obvious enough.

Raw, very true, two years of real coaching so far, and he is showing real progress, and that is good,  but by the end of two more years he absolutely needs to show he is there, or awfully damn close, according to SMs & BBs agenda, not yours or mine.

I’m a big fan of Josh Allen and want nothing less than to see him be “The Man” , but in all reality he has to repeat what he has achieved and more over the next two years to be considered the one going forward.  

After four years of top level coaching he has to show more consistent play and far fewer fumbles every game, and be putting up twenty one Points per game average, all season long, we all know this offense as it currently sits is not scoring enough points.  

We as fans, absolutely want Josh to kick asz, that Is a given. It is what we all hope happens. I was on the wagon the moment the pick was announced, and have seen the shine in his play from the get go. But he does need to improve noticeably, and I think he can, as it appears you think that too. 

Go Bills!!!

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

You could say the same about Allen. He is a very good athlete but he still needs to become a better QB. Playing the pocket, going thru his reads and making good decisions in where to go with the ball. He needs to protect the ball better (INT's and fumbles). He was a big reason why the Bills didn't get a chance to play at KC in the divisional round. Hoping he can take the next step next season in becoming a very good/great QB.

He was pretty much the only reason we were in the game, he had an incredibly low interception % after the first pats game, not sure what you have been watching. Fix the online, get him some quality receivers and he will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair points.  My counter would be

1 - Jackson had a better passing season as a 2nd year guy than any of those players

2 - he was an amazing college player. Again, maybe he is just good.

2 - there are factors why some of those guys flamed out. RG3 got hurt.  We know the Kaepernick story.  Dog killer Vick actually became a better passer under Reid late in his career.  Cunningham played with crappy skill players (look at those Eagles rosters) and then led one of the greatest teams to never win a SB late in his career.

i guess the other counter is where is the track record of a prospect like Allen succeeding?  A good but not great player in smaller conference who never hit 60% passing?  I think Allen has a great work ethic and is a good leader.  But that’s what scares me most.

side note, his mom’s name is Lavonne Allen. 

I’m not trying to sell Lamar short, I’m just saying I remain skeptical until he can prove he can sustain it.  I’ve just seen this too much to confidently say he is going to sustain this long term.

I still don’t think he’s that great of a QB in terms of pocket passer.  His unique offense created a lot of easier opportunities in the passing game due to the run aspect.  Once it’s figured out, which I believe we helped build that blue print already, he is going to need to be a good passer to counter.  

I need to see it before I have confidence in it is all I am saying.  I’m not rooting against him (unless playing the Bills of course), just don’t know if he’s going to be able to have this kind of success long term without growing into a better passer.  Right now, I think the newness of the unique system benefited him greatly, and now that there is tape on how to slow him down, I question how he will fare moving forward.  

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I fail to see how Josh wouldn't be included, but you're not far off.  McDermott, Beane and Dabs would be just as culpable if there is regression.

Daboll will stunt JA's growth and McD won't figure that out.

This is just a blatantly racist original post. If anything you should have the exact opposite take. Jackson has been a better passer by far and Allen has relied on his athleticism not his passing to win many games. 

The take should be that even if Jackson loses some athletic ability he can still be a great QB with a 6:1 TD:INT ratio and QB rating over 110. Followed by Allen improved from year 1 to year 2 and if he does the Bill's will be fine at QB. But he has a long way to go as we all saw in the Houston game. 

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just think that Allen's upside is going to be more then Jackson's upside.

Why? Based on what? Arm strength alone is not going to cut it. I believe in Allen and like the trajectory he is on but it will be very hard for Allen to ever achieve 36 TD and 6 INT so one could argue Allen has a long way to go just to get yo where Jackson is now.

How much of that is scheme, coaching, and other skill players is hard to know. Give Allen the TEs that Jackson has and he assuredly puts up better numbers.

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Bills have a tough schedule this year.  They're going up against some of the NFL's best.  We're going to see what Josh is made of.  It's year 3.

We have NO IDEA what these teams are going to look like in 2020.

Way too early to come to the conclusion that the Bills have a tough schedule.

The AFC North and NFC East were supposed to be good last year. How did that work out?