2020 Draft Hypothetical

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I dont really care about Lamb or Jeudy i want Ruggs so not sure i can add anything useful to the OP’s hypothetical.

edit: and YES i’ll be that guy if ruggs is still out there at 14-16 i think the bills should trade up for him. That’s a tyreek hill type player without the baggage. My fear is he runs a sub 4.3 at the combine and he’s gone in the top 10.

From what I’ve seen/heard so far, Ruggs looks to be one of the studs. While I do agree that talent tops all, you’re not looking to add a little height, and jump ball possibilities to the mix? 

1 hour ago, Vod Kanockers said:

From what I’ve seen/heard so far, Ruggs looks to be one of the studs. While I do agree that talent tops all, you’re not looking to add a little height, and jump ball possibilities to the mix? 

Ruggs is the next tyreek hill. Dont get me wrong Lamb and Higgings and Shenault are great options - i just think ruggs is the man and he’s the man who can help josh the most. Dont care about that height metric the best WR of the past decade is antonio brown and he’s 5’11” on tip toes

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't think we do either because it would be idiotic.  I predict we go DE or LB in 1st round and WR in the 2nd given the depth at the WR position.  We may move up a few spots in the 2nd round to get our WR.

The last couple mocks I've seen have us taking Higgins or Shenault at #22.  However,  with QBs moving up they also show AJ Epenesa, Terrell Lewis and sometimes K'Lavon Chaisson on the board at 22.  Given some of Beane's comments about impact Edge rushers I would imagine he might look hard at one of them rather than grab the receiver with the first pick.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, cage said:

The last couple mocks I've seen have us taking Higgins or Shenault at #22.  However,  with QBs moving up they also show AJ Epenesa, Terrell Lewis and sometimes K'Lavon Chaisson on the board at 22.  Given some of Beane's comments about impact Edge rushers I would imagine he might look hard at one of them rather than grab the receiver with the first pick.

I agree and one player that stands out to me as their type of player is the DE Yetur Gross-Matos (have fun with that spelling) out of Penn State.  His stock will likely go up after the combine as he's an athletic freak for his size (6'5, 264 lbs).  Beane seems to like players that were productive in college but still have a lot of potential to grow (Edmunds, Oliver, Allen).  He would be the perfect fit if we lose Lawson.  

4 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I haven’t been following the draft class too closely, but in your opinion, is there a DE that would be available around pick 22, that would be better than say, Trent Murphy?

In my humble opinion, we need playmakers and players who can take over games. (Especially at the positions that were discussing) Yes, they CAN be found later, often takes a bit of luck, but those players are typically found in the top half of the draft.

Also, I’d be weary of taking a LB that high in the draft when it appears that we already have our 3 down LB’s in TE and MM. Is it wise to spend a 1st on a position that may only see 35-40% of the defensive snaps? 

I've seen mocks that have Bills taking IDL in rd 1 or 2 and this same thought comes to me...H. Phillips and Oliver are the starters next year, no need to take an IDL until later or at all maybe...I still want to see what Vosean Joseph brings before I'd go rd 1 or 2 on a LB, especially since we play nickel a lot...there is no Lorenzo clones in the draft, he is going to be very hard to replace with just 1 guy.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Thanks for agreeing with me...

You are asking us to discuss the merits of two hypothetical situations that are both  extreme when we have no idea what wide receivers are signed in free agency and what other needs  the team will have at that time..to say this is difficult is an understatement..

not trying to argue with you here cuz I understand what your saying, but all you really need to do is just pretend for a min that FA is done and what we have is what we have and just pick the guys you think we need most or you like the best...it's that simple :)

Edited by Tsaikotic

Beane doesn't mind moving around, but I cant see him paying the cost of moving up 10-12 spots in the first round for a WR. It would cost us quite a bit this year and may even dip into next year. It won't happen regardless of what we do in FA.

I don't like Shenault and I hope someone else before us makes that mistake. I also can't see us going WR in both the 1st and 2nd Rounds unless they are both considered BPA. The WR class is so deep that there will likely be guys taken in the 4th who end up day 1 starters this year. It also in large part will depend on what we accomplish in FA.

They may look to go BPA in regards to a position they feel needs to be filled ala CB, S, LB, DE, or OL as well. Again, this all hinges on FA. I could see us not addressing WR until the 3rd and then taking 2 guys by using our 6 picks after the 3rd Round to move up in it and then back into it again. 

YGM, to me, is a young Michael Strahan. That's who he reminds me of. Penn St. played him out of position a lot this year or his numbers would have been better. He's another guy I definitely expect to be gone well before we pick at #22.  

Whatever we do, I expect it to be the right moves for our long term outlook. We got 4 starters in the 1st 4 rounds last year. I have total confidence in Beane, McDermott, and our scouting department at this point. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, Vod Kanockers said:

Disclaimer: Yes! I know it’s not even February and things will change between now and the draft! Now, with that out of the way.. 

The latest Drafttek Mock draft had me pondering a couple of possibilities. 

https://www.drafttek.com/m/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Possibility #1

Both Lamb and Jeudy are still both on the board at 10. If you have interest in drafting either, which team do you call, and what do you offer. 

Yes, most of us are still shell shocked from the Sammy Watkins debacle. But I don’t believe that should make you stop from swinging. Maybe just hope for a bit more luck the next time. 

Possibility #2

The draft has us taking Shenault in the 1st and Pittman in the second. 

After thinking about it, I couldn’t say I’d mind that. Both Beasley and Brown are approaching 30. 

If you have any questions regarding this regimes ability to spot offensive talent, taking 2 wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. 

Try to find a couple of OL and a DE in FA somewhere, and try to draft DE/LB next year.

What say you? ?

No thanks on #1. The problem wasn't so much that it - the Sammy trade - didn't work out as that it was never very likely to. The rule of thumb - though consistently ignored by teams that are desperate or behind the curve - is that you don't trade away another first for anything but a guy you think is a franchise QB. For teams that do, the success rate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%. Don't do it even if you think you'll be in that top 20%. That's what the other 80% thought too.

Re: #2? That's nuts. Two WRs in the top two rounds? That's science-fiction nuts, Terry Pratchett novel nuts.

One or the other of Shenault or Pittman? That'd make sense. Maybe another in the later rounds too. It's an extremely good bet that we'll be bringing in another $5 to $10 mill WR in FA, and following that up with one high-round WR would make sense. But even if we don't address it in FA, it's still nuts to go WR in both the 1st and 2nd. We have other areas that they will want to address early.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree and one player that stands out to me as their type of player is the DE Yetur Gross-Matos (have fun with that spelling) out of Penn State.  His stock will likely go up after the combine as he's an athletic freak for his size (6'5, 264 lbs).  Beane seems to like players that were productive in college but still have a lot of potential to grow (Edmunds, Oliver, Allen).  He would be the perfect fit if we lose Lawson.  

Wasn't he just named in a federal hazing law suit doing some nasty stuff?

6 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

My nightmare scenario is Higgens there and at 21 the eagles pick him in front of us! If we really target a wr gonna need to get ahead of the eagles to secure him. JMO

Huh.  My nightmare scenario is taking Higgens at 22...

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You are absolutely correct.  Many posts deal with speculation around draft picks before we even know what needs remain following free agency.  Thanks for the dose of common sense.

No point in asking you who’s going to win the SB either, since they haven’t even played the game yet, correct?