The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A bipartisan majority of Americans said they want to continue to shelter in place to protect themselves from the coronavirus, despite the impact to the economy, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll that also showed a decline in approval of Trump’s response to the pandemic.

Protesters walk, holding signs, at a ReOpenNC rally against the state's shut down to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S., April 21, 2020. REUTERS/Rachel Jessen

The poll, released Tuesday, suggested that only a minority of Americans agree with the recent flare-up of protests against social-distancing initiatives. Their numbers have been growing over the past few weeks, however, mostly among Republicans.

Overall, in the national online poll from April 15-21, 72% of adults in the United States said people should stay at home ‘until the doctors and public health officials say it is safe.’ That included 88% of Democrats, 55% of Republicans, and seven in 10 independents.

It also found that 45% of Republicans said stay-at-home orders should be lifted to get the economy going again, up from 24% of Republicans who said the same thing in a similar poll that ran March 30-31.

U.S. President Donald Trump has demanded businesses reopen and stay-at-home orders be rescinded, putting him at odds with several state governors. He also announced late Monday that he is suspending all immigration into the United States “in light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy.”

Among U.S. adults, 42% said they approved of Trump’s performance in office, while 52% said they disapproved. The president’s overall popularity has been about the same for more than a year. When asked specifically about Trump’s handling of the coronavirus crisis, 44% approved and 52% disapproved, which is an 8-point drop in net approval since last week and a 13-point drop from last month.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll/despite-scattered-protests-most-americans-support-shelter-in-place-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN22336P

Featured chart: Older Americans sour on Trump’s handling of the outbreak: As President Donald Trump increasingly signals interest in prioritizing economic interests, America’s senior citizens are growing critical of his approach.In mid-March, this group approved of Trump’s handling of the outbreak at a higher rate than any other age group, with a net approval of +19. A month later, that level of support has dropped 20 points and is now lower than that of any age group other than 18-29-year-olds. Read more. 

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Except for during his speech a couple of weeks back on a Friday 'the national guard will take the ventilators we need from upstate' (which he wisely backtracked from that Monday), this was his worst moment in front of the cameras.

Understand what he was trying to say, but not a good look.  Probably could use a 2 hour nap.  All these guys have to be friggin' exhausted.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Taro T said:

Except for during his speech a couple of weeks back on a Friday 'the national guard will take the ventilators we need from upstate' (which he wisely backtracked from that Monday), this was his worst moment in front of the cameras.

Understand what he was trying to say, but not a good look.  Probably could use a 2 hour nap.  All these guys have to be friggin' exhausted.

Amen to the bolded. I've never been more relieved not to be in position to have to make the kind of calls all these folks have been asked to make over the past few months, all the political noise aside.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Amen to the bolded. I've never been more relieved not to be in position to have to make the kind of calls all these folks have been asked to make over the past few months, all the political noise aside.

Well said.  Whether we agree or disagree with what's being done, those are some heavy responsibilities. 

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

U.S. President Donald Trump has demanded businesses reopen and stay-at-home orders be rescinded, putting him at odds with several state governors.

I would say he's anxious to get re-started, but I wouldn't say he's demanding.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As someone who can be really mean if I do not get a decent night sleep for a few days, I am impressed with these people (who are all older than I am) and their unflagging commitment to public duty these last few months. Whether or not I agree with them (and many times I do not), I can see they are trying to do their best in horrible circumstances. Being sleep deprived cannot help. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

In other words, all is back to normal?

No. I used to jump in after them. 

25 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Nothing to see here.... this technology will go right back in the drawer when the pandemic passes... 

WTF???  Single people will never get laid again. 

Now they know what marriage is like. 

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

5:45 so... 6:15 ;) 

I'll give watching it a try.  Sometimes he pisses me off too much, and I also can't stand the way he plays the air accordion for 2 hours straight.  He's probably the greatest air accordion player ever, and I really mean that.

21 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'll give watching it a try.  Sometimes he pisses me off too much, and I also can't stand the way he plays the air accordion for 2 hours straight.  He's probably the greatest air accordion player ever, and I really mean that.

The later they start, the shorter they are ... usually. Because I told you that, you know it is gonna be two hours today. ?

• Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Some of his presentations are good.  More often they are excessive rambling and meandering verbosity. 

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

Some of his presentations are good.  More often they are excessive rambling and meandering verbosity. 

Trump?  Part of excessive rambling and meandering verbosity?  Trump meanders more than the Tonawanda Creek. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Because you're (somewhat) new down here please allow me a moment to underscore this: that opinion of Trump is entirely within bounds. Despite how it may seem, my cause isn't defending Trump the man. He's flawed and rubs more than some the wrong way. Nothing wrong with that. My cause/concerns go to something beyond partisanship -- but Trump the politician is an excellent tool to expose bigger topics/issues which cross party lines. 

• Thank you (+1) 1