The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, shoshin said:

There's no lives "saved" if you reopen too soon and the numbers just ramp back up again. All that shows is we moved the deaths out a few months. 

True - but when it opens too soon fewer people will go out than did before.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Their fake government induced shut down is slipping away right before their eyes, and it’s still five months until November. They’re hoping to stall this out as long as possible but the damn virus came about three months too soon. Now they’re left with Uncle Joe’s basement ramblings. 

I want us to reopen as soon as we can, and am happy if we follow Trump's reopening plan. 

But if we race to reopen and just end up either shutting down again or lack the backbone to reopen following the guidelines, the shutdown will have been for nothing, and WE ALL should be upset of that happens. At governors and at Trump/the administration. 

The Trump plan is a pretty clear path for threading the needle of reopening and keeping deaths down. I'm 100% for it. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Their fake government induced shut down is slipping away right before their eyes, and it’s still five months until November. They’re hoping to stall this out as long as possible but the damn virus came about three months too soon. Now they’re left with Uncle Joe’s basement ramblings. 

Yep, they want the economy to tank and people go hungry just to get rid of Trump. It's a disease worse than covid19. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

it’s definitely a nice side benefit!

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

True - but when it opens too soon fewer people will go out than did before.

I am sure that is true but with more infected, I will be surprised if it matters that some people stay home.

The Open Up America guidelines are really good. We should follow them. They are pretty much set up not to fail. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Here you are projecting without stats again

Stats?  Did you see my words “it seems”?  That means I’m giving an opinion not stating facts. But would you agree that violence from groups such as Antifa have been on the rise since 2016?  

Now let’s try a mature well thought out response this time. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Stats?  Did you see my words “it seems”?  That means I’m giving an opinion not stating facts. But would you agree that violence from groups such as Antifa have been on the rise since 2016?  

No - I would not agree. Antifa has been doing the same thing since the 90s

I just visited my go to site for corona virus statistics. As of today, the United States sits at 123 deaths per million people, and if you remove the NYC Metro area that drops down to around 70 deaths per million. After MONTHS of exposure, and much of that time completely unmitigated, that figure is REALLY LOW. It’s 0.00007 of the US population.

4 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

No - I would not agree. Antifa has been doing the same thing since the 90s

Actually, from your perspective, you could make a number of arguments supporting the rise of their activity. I wouldn't agree with your arguments; however, I would at least respect that you argued them from your perspective.

But, to argue there hasn't been a considerable rise in both Antifa support and activities since 2016 is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

But, to argue there hasn't been a considerable rise in both Antifa support and activities since 2016 is ridiculous.

Every time they protest during the Trump regime the media has shown up to highlight it. Prior to 2016 nobody gave a *****. There is a considerable rise in their coverage but not their activities. 

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I just visited my go to site for corona virus statistics. As of today, the United States sits at 123 deaths per million people, and if you remove the NYC Metro area that drops down to around 70 deaths per million. After MONTHS of exposure, and much of that time completely unmitigated, that figure is REALLY LOW. It’s 0.00007 of the US population.

Without NYC, 9-11 was just a plane crashing in a field and another short of the Pentagon.

NYC = USA.  

And those stats are with distancing in place. I want to reopen but if we do it casually, we should all expect a lot more deaths and a healthcare system that is swamped.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

And you don't think there has been an uptick in their activity since Donald Trump was elected?  

6 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Every time they protest during the Trump regime the media has shown up to highlight it. Prior to 2016 nobody gave a *****. There is a considerable rise in their coverage but not their activities. 

1 minute ago, Warren Zevon said:

Visit any Antifa site, hell, google any article that is pro Antifa, and they will tell you there has been an increase in support and activities since 2016.

Here is a quote from just one article that supports Antifa:

"Despite a presence in the U.S. for decades, and for much longer in Europe, the collective movement known as Antifa — shorthand for antifascist or antifascism — didn’t make it onto many Americans’ radars until 2017. This is in part because the antifascist movement has grown in recent years, coinciding with the rise of Trump and the spread of far-right populism"

https://arcdigital.media/in-defense-of-antifa-62c699d86dc5

Like I said, I could appreciate an argument as to why there is an increase; however, an argument against an increase is just disingenuous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Visit any Antifa site, hell, google any article that is pro Antifa, and they will tell you there has been an increase in support and activities since 2016.

Here is a quote from just one article that supports Antifa:

"Despite a presence in the U.S. for decades, and for much longer in Europe, the collective movement known as Antifa — shorthand for antifascist or antifascism — didn’t make it onto many Americans’ radars until 2017. This is in part because the antifascist movement has grown in recent years, coinciding with the rise of Trump and the spread of far-right populism"

https://arcdigital.media/in-defense-of-antifa-62c699d86dc5

Like I said, I could appreciate an argument as to why there is an increase; however, an argument against an increase is just disingenuous.

You think there's an increase? This article answers the why - the rise of Trump and the spread of far-right populism

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

And with all that tremendous effort...the US has 25 percent of the worlds infected (even with very low per capita testing rates), 25 percent of the worlds deaths, we don't have the testing in place to safely reopen without a second blast of cases. Germany had the same intelligence from WHO and China....I don't see them complaining and blaming...They have 4000 deaths, have a stringent test and trace system in place and are opening their economy up in a measured way...

Before you rest on a list of what trump has done....why not quote some actual results of these 10/10 things and how they compare to the best countries....because we are great again right?

First off, if you believe the China numbers...

Second of all, where are the majority of cases in the US? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Ok sure.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40930831

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2017/photos-antifa-campus-violence/   (newly emboldened)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-rise-of-the-violent-left/534192/

I lived in the Bay Area from 2009-2017.  Trust me there was a marked increase of violent activity after 2016.  Stop with the intellectual dishonesty. 

• Like (+1) 1