The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

26 minutes ago, GG said:

I know it's repeated often, but this is a myth.  NYC plus the 5 counties surrounding it are the money machine for the state.  Don't ignore CT & NJ commuters who also pay the full NYS tax.

Granted, Cuomo can relax a lot of the business restrictions on upstate and Southern Tier to help their economies grow.  But the fact remains, NYC metro contributes much more to the state fisc than it takes out.

ummm... would you have corroboration for this?

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

The common mask that you see most people wearing or even the homemade ones that have a fairly high thread count will generally protect the people the mask wearer meets. It can provide some protection for the wearer. Remember the wearer can breath in but the mask limits the distance the wearer can project any droplets. So, wearing a mask helps a person to not spread the virus in case they have it. 

It seems pretty obvious doesn’t it? And it’s not a big ask. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

Yet another lie dispelled:

More than a dozen U.S. researchers, physicians and public health experts, many of them from the CDC were working at the Geneva headquarters of the WHO as the coronavirus emerged late last year and transmitted real-time information about its discovery and spread in China to the Trump regime.

Americans at World Health Organization transmitted real-time information about coronavirus to Trump administration

trump-coronavirus-meme.png

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

ummm... would you have corroboration for this?

It's the corollary to the progressive tax systems where the higher income population pays the disproportionate share of the tax burden.   NYS does not put out the data of inflows & outflows by county for obvious reasons to not stoke resentment within the state.   Upstate pays very high property taxes in some areas, but that's relatively small change compated to the income tax that's generated downstate.

Rockefeller Institute put out a study in 2011-2012.  If anything, downstate's contribution has risen in the decade since the report was done.  

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, GG said:

It's the corollary to the progressive tax systems where the higher income population pays the disproportionate share of the tax burden.   NYS does not put out the data of inflows & outflows by county for obvious reasons to not stoke resentment within the state.   Upstate pays very high property taxes in some areas, but that's relatively small change compated to the income tax that's generated downstate.

Rockefeller Institute put out a study in 2011-2012.  If anything, downstate's contribution has risen in the decade since the report was done.  

That is some interesting study. “The rest of the state” (not NYC, its suburbs, or Albany) get a disproportionate amount of state tax dollars because they have the NYS prisons, SUNY schools, and mental hygiene facilities.   Ummm so put ‘em in Westchester, I am sure that would fly. 

Basically, the study shows the NYC ‘burbs contribute the most. Not a surprise. I’d be willing to bet Westchester itself is a great deal of that. NYC banking generates a lotta dinero, and is how those $10 million starter homes in Rye are financed. There are also some very, very wealthy enclaves on Long Island.

Still, I do wonder if the opportunity arose if “upstate” would break away from NYC (or metro NYC)? Have the laws imposed in the state with the aid of that regional money the last 30-40 years helped “upstate” create/keep wealth? Would “upstate” be better off not living under the shadow of NYC? 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve seen people post that this site allows me to block or ‘ignore’ certain posters. Can someone explain how?

Click on your username in the top right corner and you will see 'ignored users'.  You could add users there.

• Like (+1) 1