The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"LIVE IN FEAR!!! FEAR SOLVES ALL! BE AFRAID, ALWAYS! EVEN OF YOUR OWN SHADOW!"

Evil Laugh - Reaction GIFs

Pretty sure I posted this here before, but FEAR weakens your immunity system. 

https://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/impact-fear-and-anxiety

https://www.google.com/search?q=fear+harms+immune+system&rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS851US852&oq=fear+harms+immune+system&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6.15392j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warren Zevon said:

it's not a health order. B-Man is posting a propaganda website that is twisting facts. If you would like to read what the wrist bands actually mean see the article below from a local Montana news station instead of the gateway pundit. 

https://www.krtv.com/news/coronavirus/valley-county-officials-explain-quarantine-wristbands

And you continue to be dishonest.  Your link is the county admitting that it screwed up in the first place with its order.   Gateway Pundit linked to the April 14 story, and yours is the April 16, oops, we screwed up story after the outrage.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, Cinga said:

100% :beer: 

Fear keeps you weak, physically and mentally -- which is how they want us, because there are more of us than there are of them. 

Fear keeps you subservient -- which is how they want us programmed. 

Fear keeps you emotional, irrational, and illogical -- which is just how they want you because it prevents clear thinking and identification of REAL threats.

Fear keeps you from realizing how powerful we actually are as individuals and as a group. 

Being afraid is doing the enemies' job for them.

Being unafraid allows one to think clearly. 

Being unafraid allows one to reason. 

Being unafraid allows one to become empowered. 

Being unafraid allows one to learn, stretch, and grow. 

Being unafraid is better for the mind, body, and soul based on every metric. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Most of them from old age, heart attacks and strokes. 

Also, none of those people have any chance of killing other people because they're carrying a deadly virus. 

That's the key part. The people who are sick can kill other people.

If I eat like crap my whole life and have a massive heart attack when I'm 50, no one else is affected. 

First, I was commenting on the number of deaths that occur in this country every day.

Second, if your issue is that COVID-19 deaths are different because they can be caused by other people, then how about 175,000 - 200,000 per year that die from influenza, pneumonia, and respiratory infections? You think those illnesses might result from viruses they pick up from other people? How about the 13,000-15,000 that die every year from murder (directly at the hands of another)? How about the thousands that die every year from car accidents that are because the driver in their car or another vehicle was drunk, texting, or not paying attention in some way?

No need to go on.

Go back to your end of world prophecies....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

There's no lives "saved" if you reopen too soon and the numbers just ramp back up again. All that shows is we moved the deaths out a few months. 

This isn’t true. And it probably doesn’t matter much if we start a phased reopening now vs. starting a phased reopening a month from now.

What does, track, trace, and ISOLATE mean? If someone who was in contact with a positive case is supposed to isolate, then we are moving those cases out along the timeline until everyone who got isolated gets infected, and either dies or recovers.  Eventually, we need to get to herd immunity. Opening up the economy slowly is the only way to do that.

The shutdown has bought time to build up PPE and ventilator inventory.  It bought time to do as much research as possible to come up with promising treatments.  It brought us a couple months closer to a vaccine.  The deaths averted in this past month may be prevented by the time a second spike hits later this year.  It seems like you’re saying that the uninflected can be kept uninfected forever — they can’t. But those people infected after the shutdown is lifted can be provided care in a health system that isn’t in a full blown panic and with treatment that might work.  

I’m also going on record to say that track, trace and isolate might work everywhere but NYC. If that’s the plan for NYC, then we might as well keep it closed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cinga said:

This is absolutely true. Anyone who has ever dealt with victims of severe abuse know full well the wide range of medical problems they experience as a result a chronic arousal of the autonomic nervous system.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

LMAO

How the hell do you think the people in the nursing home got it?

Do you think Betty the 90 year old with dementia was out on the town on Friday night, and picked it up because she wasn't social distancing?

Or do you think a visitor from outside the home brought it in and killed a ton of people by infecting a loved one who went on to infect a bunch of other people?

Jeez. 

Yeah, it's really normal for massive portions of the population at a nursing home to all die in a 1 to 2 week window.

That's totally normal and happens all the time. 

Well, in my father's nursing home it was the staff that brought it in.  What can we do? Leave the people in the nursing homes to fend for themselves and die of thirst or starvation? 

I am not sure what you are arguing for... that we should all be wrapped in bubble wrap and stay home forever? Because if it is not COVID-19, it is a car accident. And if it is not a car accident, it is a work accident. Life is a gamble. There are no protections. If you want to stay home and hide, that is your prerogative. Many others would like to get out and earn a living so their families can have food on the table, and a roof over their heads.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, GG said:

We're onto day 3 after the Austin TX protests.  Cases should start spiking today through Wed, right?

Right, and then, if you use the standard jrober38 viral death logarithm, everyone in Texas should be dead by early next week...

• Haha (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, in my father's nursing home it was the staff that brought it in.  What can we do? Leave the people in the nursing homes to fend for themselves and die of thirst or starvation? 

I am not sure what you are arguing for... that we should all be wrapped in bubble wrap and stay home forever? Because if it is not COVID-19, it is a car accident. And if it is not a car accident, it is a work accident. Life is a gamble. There are no protections. If you want to stay home and hide, that is your prerogative. Many others would like to get out and earn a living so their families can have food on the table, and a roof over their heads.

Sure. Life is a gamble.

But most of those gambles don't result in 1-3% of the people who get infected dying.

Would you get on a plane if there was a 1 in 100 chance it crashed? 

Edited by jrober38

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sure. Life is a gamble.

But most of those gambles don't result in 1-3% of the people who get infected dying.

Would you get on a plane if there was a 1 in 100 chance it crashed? I wouldn't. 

If I needed to be somewhere badly enough, I would. 

Again, you are welcome to stay at home and hide under your bed. No one is telling you that you can't. The people who would like to go out, earn a living, get back to normal life, are being told they cannot. Sometimes, arbitrarily.  There is a big difference there.

At this point in time there are treatments. There weren't when this virus was first released by China onto an unsuspecting world. There are ventilators. There is no vaccine as that is 1-3 years away. Are you suggesting that we all stay at home another 1-3 years waiting for a vaccine?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sure. Life is a gamble.

You have absolutely no way of knowing what this number is until you know the total number of people who have actually been infected. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't blame the protesters at all.  Unlike the ***** cap wearing protesters of the Women's march who protested that their "women's rights" were being taken away, (which they weren't), you have protesters who ACTUALLY ARE PROTESTING SOMETHING THAT IS HAPPENING.  Which is that their jobs, freedoms and livelihoods are being taken away.  

Most of these protesters I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of them come from areas where there are low infection and death rates and that they traveled to the capital to protest.   These people believe there is an overreach and they are exercising their 1st amendment rights.

Yeah, many of them are not following social distancing practices but many are.  And I have put a lot of thought into this, when people go to the grocery stores, Walmart, dollar stores etc, they aren't following social distancing guidelines either.   I get it, they are going there for groceries which is an essential need.   But, we are talking about one protest by these group of citizens who are protesting things that are affecting their lives in a major way.    

So if they are willing to take the risk on this day, then I support it 100%.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sure. Life is a gamble.

Again -- this is the same poster who spent two solid weeks spraying this board with his prediction that millions of Americans were about to die. 

He's never walked that back. 

And now, he's on to his next Chicken Little panic induced bout of hysteria. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warren Zevon said:

Sure thing Nazi

Interesting.

Are you for Montana’s wristband idea?

Are you for tracking people who may have covid-19 and are you for tracing their contacts to force them to isolate themselves?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sure. Life is a gamble.

I bet the mortality rate is nowhere near 1-3%

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Most of these protesters I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of them come from areas where there are low infection and death rates and that they traveled to the capital to protest.   These people believe there is an overreach and they are exercising their 1st amendment rights.

And therein lies the biggest problem. I live in Maryland where the majority effected are around Baltimore/Annapolis areas. The rest of the state though, largely rural, is pretty safe for the most part but are under the same restrictions as Baltimore. I'm sure rural NY, PA, and every other state is facing the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1