The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Unfortunately, I am one of the ones that has to be quarantined because of this virus.

I am a diabetic and if I get this stupid thing, I am dead.

This isn't any fun and if you are quarantined like me because of underlying illnesses, people like jrober make me puke.

Stop with the hysteria bro. It doesn't help people like me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Magox said:

I bet the mortality rate is nowhere near 1-3%

It's not... I've seen 3 studies already that are showing those infected could be 60 to 85 times higher than the confirmed to have tested positive. That is going to put the mortality rate at about .1 to .2 percent (yes, that is 1/10 to 2/10 of a percent)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, B-Man said:

So,  many of the 8,000 a month dying of coronavirus would have died of other things anyway.

Thanks for confirming the original point.

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Fatalities?%3Aembed=yes&%3Atoolbar=no&%3Atabs=n

From NY's own COVID site, 88.9% of those dead from the virus also were afflicted with at least one other serious illness

In addition, 64% of the dead were over 70, with 84% over 60.

The facts prove that this virus targets old, sick people and the plan should be revised to protect those most at risk while allowing the rest of
America to return to sanity.

For all of theh gloom and doom regarding the end of civilization, the total dead in NYS is less than 14k.

hardly the projected millions dead on which the shutdown was predicated

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, spartacus said:

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Fatalities?%3Aembed=yes&%3Atoolbar=no&%3Atabs=n

From NY's own COVID site, 88.9% of those dead from the virus also were afflicted with at least one other serious illness

In addition, 64% of the dead were over 70, with 84% over 60.

The facts prove that this virus targets old, sick people and the plan should be revised to protect those most at risk while allowing the rest of
America to return to sanity.

For all of theh gloom and doom regarding the end of civilization, the total dead in NYS is less than 14k.

hardly the projected millions dead on which the shutdown was predicated

I'm all for it, seems to be working for Sweden and I'm in that over 60 group but I'll be damned if I would even think to ask people to shut themselves up for my health. THAT is MY responsibility!

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, snafu said:

This isn’t true. And it probably doesn’t matter much if we start a phased reopening now vs. starting a phased reopening a month from now.

What does, track, trace, and ISOLATE mean? If someone who was in contact with a positive case is supposed to isolate, then we are moving those cases out along the timeline until everyone who got isolated gets infected, and either dies or recovers.  Eventually, we need to get to herd immunity. Opening up the economy slowly is the only way to do that.

I see crowds of people mashed together calling for reopening. I don’t see much adherence to the phasing according to Trump’s plan and especially not the tracking. 

The shutdown has bought time to build up PPE and ventilator inventory.  It bought time to do as much research as possible to come up with promising treatments.  It brought us a couple months closer to a vaccine.  The deaths averted in this past month may be prevented by the time a second spike hits later this year.  It seems like you’re saying that the uninflected can be kept uninfected forever — they can’t. But those people infected after the shutdown is lifted can be provided care in a health system that isn’t in a full blown panic and with treatment that might work.  

I agree that it bought us some valuable time especially for health care workers. But if we end up shut down because we don’t stick to the plan, we need to hold politicians accountable.

And same if we swamp the healthcare system more than it is now. I’ve mentioned it a few times but I’m in a city that is by all accounts doing well and has lots of beds available. I just had to comfort my wife who is in tears for how brutal her caseload is right now and that’s *with* the lower counts of the shutdown. I’m all for reopening but we need to do it eyes wide open about how bombed our healthcare system will be if we tick along at about this pace for an extended period. 

I’m also going on record to say that track, trace and isolate might work everywhere but NYC. If that’s the plan for NYC, then we might as well keep it closed.

NYC is its own thing for sure. 

13 minutes ago, Cinga said:

It's not... I've seen 3 studies already that are showing those infected could be 60 to 85 times higher than the confirmed to have tested positive. That is going to put the mortality rate at about .1 to .2 percent (yes, that is 1/10 to 2/10 of a percent)

That Santa Clara study is getting a lot of crap now. See Hapless’s posts on OTW. 

5 minutes ago, Cinga said:

I'm all for it, seems to be working for Sweden and I'm in that over 60 group but I'll be damned if I would even think to ask people to shut themselves up for my health. THAT is MY responsibility!

It’s not working for Sweden any more. They recently passed us on deaths per capita and they are close on cases, and their numbers are on the rise. 

The early PR about how they were living smartly and well was just that. Early PR. 

Edited by shoshin

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why aren't the Chinese being called out for trying to hide this thing.

Many people are dying because of the CHINESE............ no one else but them.

Again, why aren't they being called out?

The press has a lotta China money. Congress has a lot of China money. Trump ordered an investigation and calls it the virus that came from China, says how the Chinese were not forthcoming, and how China must pay a price (especially if they knowingly unleashed this). Watch the pressers. It is Trump again the "msm."

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The press has a lotta China money. Congress has a lot of China money. Trump ordered an investigation and calls it the virus that came from China, says how the Chinese were not forthcoming, and how China must pay a price (especially if they knowingly unleashed this). Watch the pressers. It is Trump again the "msm."

It's all about the dollars, even with American lives on the line.

Well, I guess we now know why they don't wanna pass the Small Business PPP bill..

So sad.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

LMAO

How the hell do you think the people in the nursing home got it?

Do you think Betty the 90 year old with dementia was out on the town on Friday night, and picked it up because she wasn't social distancing?

Or do you think a visitor from outside the home brought it in and killed a ton of people by infecting a loved one who went on to infect a bunch of other people?

Jeez. 

Critical problem solving is definitely not your strong suit. Obviously people from outside gave it to Betty! So the best answer is to limit or eliminate those from outside being able to visit nursing homes....NOT locking down all Americans who aren’t visiting nursing homes!   When Astronauts come back from space they quarantine the ASTRONAUTS! They don’t quarantine all of America. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That Santa Clara study is getting a lot of crap now. See Hapless’s posts on OTW. 

Of course it is! While it is a Stanford University study, it doesn't fit the narrative we've all been spoon fed so it must be bogus!

We should probably throw out all the other studies going on testing for antibodies too huh? Just to be fair!

27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Unfortunately, I am one of the ones that has to be quarantined because of this virus.

I am a diabetic and if I get this stupid thing, I am dead.

This isn't any fun and if you are quarantined like me because of underlying illnesses, people like jrober make me puke.

Stop with the hysteria bro. It doesn't help people like me.

I am also diabetic. I am with you.

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why aren't the Chinese being called out for trying to hide this thing.

Many people are dying because of the CHINESE............ no one else but them.

Again, why aren't they being called out?

That would be raysis.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Of course it is! While it is a Stanford University study, it doesn't fit the narrative we've all been spoon fed so it must be bogus!

We should probably throw out all the other studies going on testing for antibodies too huh? Just to be fair!

They poo-pooed the MIT study about the mass transit spread, too.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I see crowds of people mashed together calling for reopening. I don’t see much adherence to the phasing according to Trump’s plan and especially not the tracking. 

I agree with much of what you’ve been posting on this topic. I will say, about this quoted part, I can only go by what’s going on around me locally (nobody is protesting because we’re in the thick of it). I’m not into watching the news and so I’m not getting a complete picture of the protests.  I believe that protestors in parts of the country where the population density isn’t so severe have a good argument to make. And I believe that this shutdown is warranted — to an extent for a period of time. I can believe these two things simultaneously, yes?  Being on this board at times, I’m wondering if I’m an anomaly. 

• Like (+1) 2