The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If I needed to be somewhere badly enough, I would. 

Again, you are welcome to stay at home and hide under your bed. No one is telling you that you can't. The people who would like to go out, earn a living, get back to normal life, are being told they cannot. Sometimes, arbitrarily.  There is a big difference there.

At this point in time there are treatments. There weren't when this virus was first released by China onto an unsuspecting world. There are ventilators. There is no vaccine as that is 1-3 years away. Are you suggesting that we all stay at home another 1-3 years waiting for a vaccine?

Various laws are designed to stop people from harming other people.

This is one of those situations. By going on with your life as you want it to, more people will die than is necessary.

Social distancing works. Going back to work will result in the unnecessary loss of life. 

Things will probably begin reopening in a month or so. The idiots protesting in large groups during a pandemic put that timeline in jeopardy. 

Edited by jrober38

9 minutes ago, KRC said:

I am also diabetic. I am with you.

That would be raysis.

And I always say to these braindead racists themselves...................

"You can shove your racism up your azz"

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

This is one of those situations. By going on with your life as you want it to, more people will die than is necessary.

Social distancing works. Going back to work will result in the unnecessary loss of life. 

Taking precautions, even if that means that the most vulnerable need to stay home, will have to be the new normal. 

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

I agree with much of what you’ve been posting on this topic. I will say, about this quoted part, I can only go by what’s going on around me locally (nobody is protesting because we’re in the thick of it). I’m not into watching the news and so I’m not getting a complete picture of the protests.  I believe that protestors in parts of the country where the population density isn’t so severe have a good argument to make. And I believe that this shutdown is warranted — to an extent for a period of time. I can believe these two things simultaneously, yes?  Being on this board at times, I’m wondering if I’m an anomaly. 

But was in necessary to fill in skate parks, ban the sale of garden seeds, arrest a surfer and chase a jogger?

That is what the protests are about, the authoritarianism is out of control.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Things will probably begin reopening in a month or so. The idiots protesting in large groups during a pandemic put that timeline in jeopardy. 

I am not a fan of these protests, but people who are healthy (even the unhealthy ones) don't like to be locked down.

Again, it is not wise of the protesters, but I can understand why they do it. I just won't be near any of them. ?

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This is one of those situations. By going on with your life as you want it to, more people will die than is necessary.. 

Simply not true, if we take measure to safe guard the most susceptible, people can get back to work.

I believe the new guidelines take all that into account. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

How many? MILLIONS? 

Or, is that hyperbole? (again)

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I am not a fan of these protests, but people who are healthy (even the unhealthy ones) don't like to be locked down.

Again, it is not wise of the protesters, but I can understand why they do it. I just won't be near any of them. ?

These people are children.

Being asked to stay home in 2020, with internet, tv, netflix and widespread delivery food options doesn't sound like a bad gig if it means we can safely open things up in a month or so.

I have no sympathy for any of these people if they get sick. Their behaviour is on par with what I see from my 4 year old son everyday when he doesn't get what he wants. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Being asked to stay home in 2020, with internet, tv, netflix and widespread delivery food options doesn't sound like a bad gig if it means we can safely open things up in a month or so.

I have no sympathy for any of these people if they get sick. Their behaviour is on par with what I see from my 4 year old son everyday when he doesn't get what he wants. 

They need jobs to pay for all of that!!!!!   :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Simply not true, if we take measure to safe guard the most susceptible, people can get back to work.

I believe the new guidelines take all that into account. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

Ummmmm, we've been taking precautions to protect the most susceptible for 6 weeks now and people are still dying.

Nursing homes are still getting decimated by this virus. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, jrober38 said:

"These people are children. Being asked to give up their fundamental rights, liberties, and freedom when they have TV, Netflix, and food at home to keep them busy instead! HOW DARE THEY!"

I'd argue the children are the ones so scared of their own shadows they're (once again) willing to give up their rights in exchange for an empty promise of security. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Ummmmm, we've been taking precautions to protect the most susceptible for 6 weeks now and people are still dying.

MILLIONS are dying, right? 

I mean, that's what you screamed for weeks down here... 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Well, me being in harms way, BIG TIME, of this disease, I can see how you call them children.

I wonder what the others in here think of these protesters

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Or people can do a better job with personal hygiene.  The six foot limit is totally arbitrary.  Law enforcement is doing more dangerous things than what they're trying to accomplish.  What's the difference of someone jogging in a park path vs the same jogger 50 feet away on the sidewalk.  Maintaining a proper distance and washing yourself more frequently will do a hell of a lot more to prevent an all out spread, than anything else you've proposed.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jrober38 said:

Because the CCP lied about when this started, the antibody studies are proving it was here before we thought.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

Or people can do a better job with personal hygiene.  The six foot limit is totally arbitrary.  Law enforcement is doing more dangerous things than what they're trying to accomplish.  What's the difference of someone jogging in a park path vs the same jogger 50 feet away on the sidewalk.  Maintaining a proper distance and washing yourself more frequently will do a hell of a lot more to prevent an all out spread, than anything else you've proposed.

Again, we've been told to do this for 6 weeks now.

People are still dying. Nursing homes still being decimated by the virus all over the country. 

These are great ideas if every single person practices them, which will absolutely never happen. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, njbuff said:

I can understand both sides of the protesters argument here.

Call me a puzzy for not picking a side, but I can understand both sides.

I can't.

One side says stay home for another 4-8 weeks and numerous lives will be saved.

The other wants to put lives in danger because they're bored.

Once people are dead they're dead. This is literally life and death for a lot of people, like yourself. 

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think you are gonna see more than a few suicides today.  The oil market has tanked (no pun intended).  People will not be able to cover losses, bankruptcies will happen... And, when all is said and done, the little guy is going to be out of business as the giant oil corporations end up with a near monopoly.  And think of all those jobs those small oil companies generate.

That is going to be the long term result of this lock down. Some would say that is an unnecessary loss of life due to lack of jobs that pay the bills, feed people, keep roofs over people's heads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1