The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

COVID-19 could lead to more than 80,000 deaths in the US and overwhelm hospital capacity nationally as soon as early April even if social distancing measures are respected, new research showed Thursday.

The US death toll for the pandemic has already soared past 1,000, with 68,000 confirmed infections.

Forecasters at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington's School of Medicine analysed the latest COVID-19 data at a local, national and international level.

These include hospitalisation and mortality rates, as well as patient date in terms of age, gender and pre-existing health problems.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-virus-deaths-may-top-80-000-despite-161924116.html

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Reading comprehension is difficult when you lack a fully functioning frontal lobe, I know. I pray you get the neurological assistance you clearly need. 

Says the sheep who gets all his ideas from right wing twitter trash 

Israeli Company Is Donating Potential Coronavirus Treatment to Hospitals Across US

An Israeli pharmaceutical company is donating to US hospitals more than 6 million doses of hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug touted by President Donald Trump and others as a potential new treatment for COVID-19 patients.

Teva, a pharmaceutical giant in Israel, has announced it will begin donating millions of hydroxychloroquine sulfate tablets to hospitals across the US starting March 31.

</snip>

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

These types of headlines are incendiary because they blare large numbers without providing the true context that the rate of infections is slowing!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

As I posted yesterday, I jumped in with a bit more an d"bought dip" on Tuesday, but I'm really not confident that was the bottom.  Investors are happy about the passage of a bill, but I believe the news is going to be overwhelming for the next 2-3 weeks, leading to the next big move down.  Just my 2 cents...

4 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

That's where I am. It's killing me to sit on the sidelines, but I just can't imagine we don't see another drop.

I kind of feel the same. I was fortunate in that I moved all of our retirement out of the market when it was still around 27,000. I never did that before. When China started shutting down and the market started dropping, I felt like people might be looking for a reason to sell off. I told my wife I thought it would be best to just keep our money safe untill things stabilized. I didn't think it would drop as much as it did.

I thought about moving it back in when it dropped to about 18,000; however, I just don't feel like we are close to any kind of stability yet. We have literally seen record one day drops and one day climbs and everything in between. I just don't feel the volatility is over. Particularly when we have no idea what the peak of this virus in the US is going to look like, no certainties as to when the workforce might be up and running again, and what kind of long-term economic damage we might sustain.

I hope things stabilize on all fronts in the not too distant future.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Magox said:

So there are two arguments here, well actually three if you want to accept the progressive pols one.

The progressive argument is just provide as much money as possible despite the warped disincentives to work.

The conservative argument is that this does provide a disincentive to work so it’s counterintuitive, from their standpoint.

Trumps and Mnuchin’s argument which I think is the most rational one is that even though it may provide a disincentive for some to not work, they think that it will be a minimal effect, it gets more money into the economy but more so than anything is that if they did it the way the conservative group wanted to that opposed it that it would slow the mechanism in getting the money into these affected people’s hands.   In other words there was no way to filter out that “error” without slowing down the payments.

Im fine with it.

That's how I saw it and why that motion by Sasse was just grandstanding.  If it was more than four months I would agree with that sentiment but a black swan even calls for an overly aggressive measures to keep this economy somewhat functional.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, GG said:

These types of headlines are incendiary because they blare large numbers without providing the true context that the rate of infections is slowing!

With what you say. Like Italy. Goes up than down than up and down. Noone really knows if slowing. Hard to put that into context when it freaking changes daily.  Just posting how many are infected as of right now. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I kind of feel the same. I was fortunate in that I moved all of our retirement out of the market when it was still around 27,000. I never did that before. When China started shutting down and the market started dropping, I felt like people might be looking for a reason to sell off. I told my wife I thought it would be best to just keep our money safe untill things stabilized. I didn't think it would drop as much as it did.

I thought about moving it back in when it dropped to about 18,000; however, I just don't feel like we are close to any kind of stability yet. We have literally seen record one day drops and one day climbs and everything in between. I just don't feel the volatility is over. Particularly when we have no idea what the peak of this virus in the US is going to look like, no certainties as to when the workforce might be up and running again, and what kind of long-term economic damage we might sustain.

I hope things stabilize on all fronts in the not too distant future.

I'm not talking a verbatim parallel to the Great Depression but look at the charts from back then for the DOW and commodities.  The markets had good periods from 1929-1932 but the long term trend was down.  Don't let one good week of market activity convince you that our problems are behind us.  I was out in a couple communities on business earlier today and the downtown activity judging from open parking spaces is about 20 percent of normal.  Does it mean a complete collapse?  Of course not but it tells me business is off for more than bars and restaurants.  The McDonalds I passed did have the window open for drive up traffic.  Must be the other McD's I previously mentioned had something else going on like a complete decontamination going on.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

That's where I am. It's killing me to sit on the sidelines, but I just can't imagine we don't see another drop.

Same with me. I figured the employment numbers would have been enough to keep the downward trend going

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Fusion/CIA Ken gets his talking points jumbled again. 

Yes, the rest of the world is looking to China for leadership and vision.

Ken Dilanian -"based in DC. Former AP, LA Times, USA TODAY, Philly Inquirer. Williams College".....know the enemy.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I understand these are tense times so it's easy to see red, which often makes us blind to what's beyond the tip of our nose in front of our face.

So for that reason I find the hypocrisy understandable and easily forgivable and forgotten.

Stay safe and healthy and keep helping those around you who need it. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 9

54 minutes ago, GG said:

What data are you looking at to conclude this?

According to the Worldometer site, it’s accelerating in the US. 

Just now, TPS said:

What data are you looking at to conclude this?

According to the Worldometer site, it’s accelerating in the US. 

Right it's going up.

In Italy couple days ago.  Plus it's hard to say one down tiny one day,  back up and worse numbers...  No even data proof at all in it.  For cases and deaths to be down need consistent proof. Not one day or hell 2 days.  Consistent proof what the rationale,  and logic with this.

Update:

I guess we are almost in it now.

My sister just told me (and she is in a position to know) that almost all of Buffalo's hospital beds are full, and they are being told that "if they don't need 02 (oxygen) to make arrangements for them at home.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, B-Man said:

Update:

I guess we are almost in it now.

My sister just told me (and she is in a position to know) that almost all of Buffalo's hospital beds are full, and they are being told that "if they don't need 02 (oxygen) to make home arrangements for them at home.

Stay safe everyone.

Keep safe man to you both. You're a good guy B-Man

• Like (+1) 6