The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Anyone else find it odd that in the wake of indefinite lockdowns & travel restrictions, record unemployment claims, and continued spreading of the virus that the stock market is rallying?

I know the Feds are passing a relief bill, but it sure doesn't feel like we're out of the woods yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Rob's House said:

Anyone else find it odd that in the wake of indefinite lockdowns & travel restrictions, record unemployment claims, and continued spreading of the virus that the stock market is rallying?

I know the Feds are passing a relief bill, but it sure doesn't feel like we're out of the woods yet.

Yup. So much of the past several weeks don't really add up. There's a lot we're not being told is my bet. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yup. So much of the past several weeks don't really add up. There's a lot we're not being told is my bet. 

I enjoy a good conspiracy theory.  Please share with the class.  

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8156951/You-Crocodile-Dundee-star-Mark-Blum-dies-age-63-coronavirus.html?ito=push-notification&ci=11464&si=3155052

You and Crocodile Dundee star Mark Blum has died aged 69 from coronavirus.

New York-based theater company Playwrights Horizons revealed the news via a tribute on social media.

They wrote: 'With love and heavy hearts, Playwrights Horizons pays tribute to Mark Blum, a dear longtime friend and a consummate artist who passed this week.

Sad loss: You and Crocodile Dundee star Mark Blum dies age 63 from coronavirus; he is seen in December 2017

+3
  •  

Sad loss: You and Crocodile Dundee star Mark Blum dies age 63 from coronavirus; he is seen in December 2017

'Thank you, Mark, for all you brought to our theater, and to theaters and audiences across the world. We will miss you.'

Blum played Mr Mooney on Netflix's hit show You, which in January was renewed for a third season by the streaming service.

He also had a role on HBO's Succession and TV shows including Almost Family, The Good Fight and Amazon's Mozart in the Jungle.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AHHHHH!!

Jeez Buffalo Bills Fan, 

I could have done with a warning about the middle of that post.....!!

(by the way, her illness is Trump's fault)

I'm fairly certain that her brand of "comedy" has been giving people 'unbearably painful chest pains' for decades.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

If things don’t crater here in the next month (spoiler alert: They won’t) I believe this crisis is Trump’s ticket back to the White House.

For the past four years, I’ve been virulently anti-Trump, despite my conservative tendencies, because of his narcissism and corruption.  The past few weeks have been eye-opening for me.  The herd mentality that has gripped the media and politicians has been shocking to me—the ready willingness to shutter the economy and institutions of individual states and the United States as a whole without serious consideration of the short and long-term cost of doing, and weighing that cost against the possibility that more targeted, conservative steps, adapted to particular localities might also work. And then there was the simpering rush to adopt as gospel the worst case scenarios and shout down (or worse) anyone who questioned them.

Against this background, Trump has been the only leader who has kept his head and pushed back against the doomsaying and the rush to abandon our entire economic, social and educational systems.  And the reaction to his courage and sound instincts has been nothing short of disgusting—literally calling him a mass-murderer, without any sound evidence (or should I say, contrary to the evidence?).  It’s hilarious watching the pundits cluelessly ponder the soaring approval rating for Trump’s handling of the crisis.  

The extreme reaction to his Easter comment was the tipping point for me.  What the hell is wrong with a leader saying “I hope we’re done with this nightmare in a few weeks”?  Can’t we assess the situation as we go, rather than closing everything indefinitely?

i still don’t think I can vote for Trump, but this has truly been an eye-opening experience.

Interesting and thanks for sharing.  Great to hear from the other side.

Taking it one step further, in your previous anti-Trump life, did you have concerns about corruption in the government and it's officials, insider deals and if so, how did/would you have adjudicated the vote come November? 

This is no set up, nor am I assuming one way or the other, just you mentioned "conservative tendencies" and wanted to get your thoughts. 

10 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Yeah, not sure what to make of it. I thought there would be a bit of a rally with the stimulus package and recent actions by the Fed; however, up almost 3000 points? I would think the market would be cautious until we see a peak and beginning decline in the virus along with some substantial movement toward getting people back to work.

Over optimism? Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

No, I was around when the market moved on anything Bernanke said.

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

I enjoy a good conspiracy theory.  Please share with the class.  

I'm not certain it's as much a conspiracy theory at this point as it is the way the sausage gets made in times of national crisis (at least with regards to my last comment). Perhaps the internal numbers are trending better than the doomsayers prognosticated (there's evidence of this), perhaps the treatments are working better than expected (there's evidence of this) -- both of which could spark more internal optimism which bleeds through to the market. I wouldn't consider that a conspiracy theory as much as a failure of the media to cover this event honestly and the administrations reluctance to spread "false hope" after two weeks of getting pummeled with that line. 

Then there's every chance that what Rob said is accurate too -- that the market is responding to something, but it's not that we're out of the woods. 

There ARE plenty of conspiracy theories out there right now, however. Despite what most probably think of my own style and analytical methods, I like to operate from a position of fact first before extrapolating out and trying to fill in the blanks -- and right now most of those conspiracy theories out there lack a solid enough foundation for me to take a true run at.

My position, as always, changes with new information but (for fun and since you asked) here are the "conspiracy" theories that I'm aware of and my own personal odds of their accuracy: 

1. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released intentionally by China to fight back against their economic slide brought on by the administration. If true, this would be nothing less than an act of war. Without solid evidence to back up the charge, the government likely would NEVER disclose this to the public unless they were planning on a military style response. (I put the odds of this scenario as low but not impossibly so, call it 20%)

2. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released accidentally by China (either through negligence or incompetence). In an effort to hide their blunder, they delayed telling the world and made a bad situation exponentially worse through simple human error and hubris. If true, then there would be plenty of efforts to cover this up by the global community as well as China to prevent the public from overreacting and demanding a pound of flesh in return. (I put the odds of this scenario at 50/50)

3. The virus was released by a non-nation state actor and is a further escalation of the silent war ongoing between the powers that were and the new powers that be. There is a lot of data points to make this case stronger than it first appears, starting with https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china-related and then Bill Gates' sudden departure from both Microsoft and Berkshire Hathoway on the 13th. The immediate reaction of the "fact checkers" to try to downplay the relation of this arrest and the virus was immediate and loud -- and, immediately suspect because of this. We know he was working for China in an off the books research lab (which is how this shadow group operates within nation states without being a nation state itself, co-opting shadowy contractors and their infrastructure), we know the 21 vials were going to Wuhan where China's only top level bio-weapons lab is located -- but we don't know what was really in the vials. They claim it was "cancer research" materials which may well be true... but the data points are interesting to consider. (I put the odds of this scenario as low, call it 10%)

4. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released by "white hats" within the supposed "alliance" of nations/military intelligence fighting back against the cult. The virus is designed to target those who have ingested a spiked stock of adrenocrome (google image search it if you're unfamiliar), marking everyone who's partaken in these occult rituals for easy identification and disposal/cleanup/adjudication. The panic over the virus, and subsequent lock downs, are designed to keep these criminals isolated while they're swept up in a series of off the books arrests while also keeping innocents out of public spaces where they'd be in danger of blow back/collateral damage from the usual cult tactics of causing carnage to change the world's focus/keep themselves out of danger. This is clearly the most "out there" theory. (I put the odds of this scenario as almost impossible, say  <1%)

There probably are plenty of other theories out there, but these are the ones I encounter the most. 

:beer: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3