The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I disagree.  They are professional activists with a byline

Perhaps, and this is just a thought, if Trump was more truthful and answered questions directly then the briefings wouldn't be so combative.  By way of example, Trump said something to the effect that he knew that coronavirus wouldn't return as strongly in the fall.  Twice he was asked for the basis for that statement.  Twice he dodged and said something non-responsive.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, meazza said:

Yesterday a reporter asked trump if about a policy to test every single person in old folks homes.  Apparently there was a governor who wanted to put that in place and he asked if he was ok with that.

Of course had the reporter actually followed the guidelines, that’s literally step 1 in phase 1 of the cdc guidelines.  How is it that a Canuck knows that but a reporter whose job is to know this stuff doesn’t ?

Yeah, last week the guy asked about oil, POTUS asked what the current barrel price was and he didn't know, "Get back to me when you know"

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did anyone watch the little Asian gal reporter yesterday? Young lady, you’re talking to the President of the United States! Show some respect before you start rolling your eyes! Where are the media outlets finding these people? I’m guessing they’re the last players left on the bench! Or....how about the guy wearing the mask? If I’m the Secret Service, I’m telling that guy we can’t have him around the President!

She was the one that asked the question about the 2% of people tested. Never mind that is 2% of 390 million.

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

No but now i'm kinda curious about the little asian gal.  was she cute? :devil:

She was maybe 5 or 6.

But yeah I would

8 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Yeah, last week the guy asked about oil, POTUS asked what the current barrel price was and he didn't know, "Get back to me when you know"

Another fine example of a presidential dodge.  The question was something along the lines of, "Can I check in on oil today?"  Instead of allowing a substantive question to reach the floor, or answering the "pregnant" question (yes or no would have been appropriate), the prez responded with a question about the price of oil per bbl.  That type of response invites more direct and forceful questioning.  If you want to blame the media for doing its job, fine.  That's where the prez wants you to go. 

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Another fine example of a presidential dodge.  The question was something along the lines of, "Can I check in on oil today?"  Instead of allowing a substantive question to reach the floor, or answering the "pregnant" question (yes or no would have been appropriate), the prez responded with a question about the price of oil per bbl.  That type of response invites more direct and forceful questioning.  If you want to blame the media for doing its job, fine.  That's where the prez wants you to go. 

If they are going to ask a question they should know the subject!! Instead of just asking gotcha questions.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The press is NOT doing its job. In an Information Age we’ve see the press devolve into a bunch of gossip mongering hacks. I guess it’s just what it’s become...but I’m assuming they’ll treat the next Democratic President the same way. Sure they will....right?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gary M said:

If they are going to ask a question they should know the subject!! Instead of just asking gotcha questions.

That's sort of the point.  Nobody knew the subject because the president didn't allow the question.  It very well could have been (and, given the context, probably was) a question about oil production and the president's negotiations with foreign producers to cut supply to protect the American energy industry.  So before cutting off the question, as the president did, let's at least determine what the subject of the question is. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The press is NOT doing its job. In an Information Age we’ve see the press devolve into a bunch of gossip mongering hacks. I guess it’s just what it’s become...but I’m assuming they’ll treat the next Democratic President the same way. Sure they will....right?

They probably won't treat the next president the same way, you're right.  And that's because the next president probably will be more truthful and candid than the current president, meaning that there won't be nearly the antagonism between the press and the next administration, Democrat or Republican. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The word is that he is charming and a real delight to be around in a social setting. There's no doubt in my mind that he can be tough as nails in a business setting but his lifetime of real estate development (especially in NYC) has given him the ability to negotiate. He may start out with asking for the moon and it might sound preposterous to some but its just the opening salvo of a negotiation. Look at the fools he made of the media and how he bent the governors to his will regarding who was going to be in charge of opening up the respective states. He claimed that he had the authority to do so and everyone claimed that he didn't and even the dems brought up federalism as a point. Well he actually did have the authority due to the fact that all 50 states had a declared emergency. Using that authority is the last thing he wanted to do. Now the governors can do what they're paid to do but Trump can use the bully pulpit to encourage them to follow the guidelines. Not only is he doing what is right but he has taken the easy criticism away from the media. 

Ya...Well you are confusing attributes with results. Nobody in the US has wanted to do business with him since the for a long time - except I guess NBC. After a  string of bankruptcies with airlines, real estate, universities, food...etc...$ people wised up and they figured out the only person getting ahead in his deals was him. He lucked out in the 90's by being so far in debt...the only way his financiers could get a return was to ride it out. His recent financing has either been from out of the country or fake. Fake - meaning that many "Trump" developments throughout the world carry his name only - they aren't really his. 

In good deals - every one makes money - not just one guy. Being POTUS isn't about personal winning...its about everyone winning. Pretty much all trumps actions throughout this disaster is to make himself look good....and you guys eat it up. Lets look at some of his results:

• US has 30 percent of the world's cases and deaths in CV19  - One can say - looking at the scoreboard - we have the worst response to CV19 considering our resources of money and brains. We have the best roster and a 6-10 record. 
  • Testing capacity to get economy back in line - nope 
  • New health care plan - nope
  • Budget balanced - nope
  • Debt reduced - nope
  • Wall built and Mexico paid for it - nope
  • Jared Middle East peace - nope
  • Jared testing - wha? 
  • NK nukes - yup
  • China deal? - Forget about it - will never get done
  • New Iran deal - nope
  • FoxConn factory - vapor
  • Economy built on massive govt debt - that will work in the long term - oh yea
  • Coal industry saved - hardly
  • Washing Macihnes built in Indiana - nope
  • Hydroxy whatever...the only thing cheaper than oil is the 35 million doses Jared bought

But you guys love him because you are some blend of racist, ignorant, brainwashed or myopically rich. Your relate to him because he blames everyone else for his problems...instead of looking at your own performance.

You love him because he pisses off the "elites" or "libs". All this was great  when he was in a position where nothing was really expected of him - when he did not need to actually produce anything of substance other than "owning the libs" .....He was able to ride a wave of US productivity and low interest rates that juiced the market for 3 years.

Now the US and World could use an actual leader - and that he is not.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, TH3 said:

But you guys love him because you are some blend of racist, ignorant, brainwashed or myopically rich. Your relate to him because he blames everyone else for his problems...instead of looking at your own performance.

Please, tell us more from your lofty perch of self-annointed and deluded sense of intellectual and moral superiority...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Ya...Well you are confusing attributes with results. Nobody in the US has wanted to do business with him since the for a long time - except I guess NBC. After a  string of bankruptcies with airlines, real estate, universities, food...etc...$ people wised up and they figured out the only person getting ahead in his deals was him. He lucked out in the 90's by being so far in debt...the only way his financiers could get a return was to ride it out. His recent financing has either been from out of the country or fake. Fake - meaning that many "Trump" developments throughout the world carry his name only - they aren't really his. 

In good deals - every one makes money - not just one guy. Being POTUS isn't about personal winning...its about everyone winning. Pretty much all trumps actions throughout this disaster is to make himself look good....and you guys eat it up. Lets look at some of his results:

• US has 30 percent of the world's cases and deaths in CV19  - One can say - looking at the scoreboard - we have the worst response to CV19 considering our resources of money and brains. We have the best roster and a 6-10 record. 
  • Testing capacity to get economy back in line - nope 
  • New health care plan - nope
  • Budget balanced - nope
  • Debt reduced - nope
  • Wall built and Mexico paid for it - nope
  • Jared Middle East peace - nope
  • Jared testing - wha? 
  • NK nukes - yup
  • China deal? - Forget about it - will never get done
  • New Iran deal - nope
  • FoxConn factory - vapor
  • Economy built on massive govt debt - that will work in the long term - oh yea
  • Coal industry saved - hardly
  • Washing Macihnes built in Indiana - nope
  • Hydroxy whatever...the only thing cheaper than oil is the 35 million doses Jared bought

You love him because he pisses off the "elites" or "libs". All this was great  when he was in a position where nothing was really expected of him - when he did not need to actually produce anything of substance other than "owning the libs" .....He was able to ride a wave of US productivity and low interest rates that juiced the market for 3 years.

Now the US and World could use an actual leader - and that he is not.  

You just nailed it.  I struggle to figure out what he's accomplished.  Judges, I guess, and dividing the country, for sure.  Renegotiating NAFTA, I suppose.  And I guess that he had a first phase trade deal with China.  But on balance, a whole lot of broken promises and nasty rhetoric.  That's the sum of the Trump presidency. 

Re: the bolded.  Thank you.  I'm glad somebody else realizes it.  All we have on the economic side of things is 3.5 years of dead money in an S&P index and a boatload of new debt in exchange for our trouble.  The whole thing is a house of cards, which really shouldn't have surprised anyone given this guy's business record.  

Edited by SectionC3

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

If he hadn't already shredded the Emoluments clause in the Constitution, it wouldn't be a big topic of discussion. The family wants relief after having illegally received funding for their properties. Just another layer of slime.

You'll need to back that up.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Have you watched the daily briefings? The media bias is on full display every single day and it’s now become obvious that they’re being purposefully combative and antagonist...and they simply don’t care. These simply aren’t professional people. 

You're right. If the press was professional, they would call him out every time he lies, like a free press is supposed to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

You're right. If the press was professional, they would call him out every time he lies, like a free press is supposed to do.  

But who would you suggest should call out the press for lying? Or do you think the press hasn’t lied? 

Gee, who could have guessed this was staged? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/talialikeitis/status/1253126254942773248

More of that honest media Kemp loves so much.  

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Can’t keep up with Trump flipping back and forth all the time.

No wonder red state governors are so confused with our stable genius.

Too Soon’—Donald Trump Questions Georgia Reopening Barber Shops, Tattoo Parlors

Where is his flip.

Did Georgia get to Phase 1 of the guidelines?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

They are the internet version of cockroaches, scurrying around in the dark and infecting discussions with self-deluded, hypocritical diatribe - only to scatter when you shine the light of truth on them. Unfortunately, intellectually destroying their arguments doesn't kill them off. They just keep coming back because they have developed an immunity to logic, reason, and common sense, as well as the shame and humiliation they should feel at being so wrong, so often...

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

When did POTUS say Georgia should open back up?

Let me help you, he didn't.

Misleading.  When asked about the reopening plan the day before, Trump deferred to the Georgia governor and did not demand compliance with federal guidelines for reopening.  

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Misleading.  When asked about the reopening plan the day before, Trump deferred to the Georgia governor and did not demand compliance with federal guidelines for reopening.  

No misleading is saying he flipped, ne never said Georgia should open he let the Governor make the decision.

and when asked he said he disagrees with it. NOT A FLIP.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

No misleading is saying he flipped, ne never said Georgia should open he let the Governor make the decision.

Hoax. This is why you're on the hoax list. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did anyone watch the little Asian gal reporter yesterday? Young lady, you’re talking to the President of the United States! Show some respect before you start rolling your eyes! Where are the media outlets finding these people? I’m guessing they’re the last players left on the bench! Or....how about the guy wearing the mask? If I’m the Secret Service, I’m telling that guy we can’t have him around the President!

She's been horrible since the get-go, yet she is not even close to the worst one (Weijia Jiang from CBS for you boys that want to ogle her). Acosta is a clown show, but even he isn't the worst one. The worst one is Paula Reid from CBS (hmmm CBS again) whose husband has lots of ties to China. She is a disrespectful harpy, and as I have said before, they may not respect President Trump the person, but they need to show respect to the office he holds.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ah yes, the Meteorologist fallacy I brought up in a recent post.

"My Meteorologist said it would rain today but it was sunny ALL day! He's terrible at his job and should be fired!"

Sure, forget the fact that Silver has been statistically INCREDIBLY accurate since he came onto the scene in 2008. Forget the overall accuracy on the national stage of the elections of 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2018.

He got 2016 wrong... NO ONE should ever give him any credence because he got that 1 election really wrong! 

I guess the key to being a good populist is confirmation bias.

Don't believe me? Here's a direct quote from Pete Navarro just a couple years ago with regard to his job:

"My function, really, as an economist is to try to provide the underlying analytics that confirm his intuition. And his intuition is always right in these matters."

You can't make this %#$+ up :doh:

I think you are so tied up with emotional baggage you lose track of some of the fundamentals of simple human interaction.  You're so busy tossing around insults, making assumptions and as a result appear closed-minded and overwrought.  Let's try again.

You didn't suggest The Gospel According To Nate was an alternative to other polling data, the opinions of others, you stated as a matter of fact including your declarative statement "Except this is wrong" when bills59 shared his thoughts.   Given your stance, I thought it sensible to check out your source, and found the link to Silver's commentary on the election of 2016.  Why does it trouble you that I brought that up?  Did I misrepresent what he said?  Your commentary can best be summed up as "My guy is always right!" and you're exasperated when someone points out the obvious, that he's not?     All I'm suggesting is that some of this stuff isn't all that complicated, and as a pollster, I'd think  you would want to make your bones on the difficult to project, not the slam dunks.  Nate Silver missed the biggest political upset in the history of the country, and missed by a wide margin.  He wasn't close, his data was clearly skewed, and your explanation and reasoning is "He was only wrong because everyone else was too!'.  Call me crazy, but isn't it the job of the pollster to stand out from the crowd?  When you first started dating your wife, did you go with "I have the same limitations as everyone else!!!".  

You know who else was right on the outcome of many of the elections cited?  Me.  I had John McCain getting trounced 4 minutes into the first debate.  I had Romney getting rolled because he's an empty suit who had virtually no idea how to press an advantage with a vulnerable candidate, and who misunderstood that taking the high road did not mean allowing yourself to be cuckolded by your rival.  2018 was a no brainer, especially in light of the full on Russian assault by the dems, the DOJ, FBI and msm with a fairy tale that incredibly, people believed.  I missed on 2016 and Trump, just like Natestradaumus, but it's been perpetually satisfying ever since to remind people that polls are as good as the data that goes into them, and even then, sometimes not so much.

Let's agree to disagree.  I know you have fingered Joe Biden to be the next President, and you might be right. 

I also think you may have an Al Roker fetish, but to each his own. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Correct. 

And who's shocked JA/SectionC3 is once again back to his SOP when it comes to arguing: say something fake -- get BLASTED for it, then rather than admit he said something wrong, he calls others misleading and runs away. 

Because he's a coward who's here to troll, not have conversations. He's not worth the time to engage. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct. 

And who's shocked JA/SectionC3 is once again back to his SOP when it comes to arguing: say something fake -- get BLASTED for it, then rather than admit he said something wrong, he calls others misleading and runs away. 

Because he's a coward who's here to troll, not have conversations. He's not worth the time to engage. 

Comments like this will not get you removed from the "snowflake" and "washed up psycho" lists. 

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Is there anyone left you haven't accused of being a racist?

Those who are not racist. 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Comments like this will not get you removed from the "snowflake" and "washed up psycho" lists. 

What about the "insane alt right nutjob list"

Edited by Warren Zevon

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think you are so tied up with emotional baggage you lose track of some of the fundamentals of simple human interaction.  You're so busy tossing around insults, making assumptions and as a result appear closed-minded and overwrought.  Let's try again.

You didn't suggest The Gospel According To Nate was an alternative to other polling data, the opinions of others, you stated as a matter of fact including your declarative statement "Except this is wrong" when bills59 shared his thoughts.   Given your stance, I thought it sensible to check out your source, and found the link to Silver's commentary on the election of 2016.  Why does it trouble you that I brought that up?  Did I misrepresent what he said?  Your commentary can best be summed up as "My guy is always right!" and you're exasperated when someone points out the obvious, that he's not?     All I'm suggesting is that some of this stuff isn't all that complicated, and as a pollster, I'd think  you would want to make your bones on the difficult to project, not the slam dunks.  Nate Silver missed the biggest political upset in the history of the country, and missed by a wide margin.  He wasn't close, his data was clearly skewed, and your explanation and reasoning is "He was only wrong because everyone else was too!'.  Call me crazy, but isn't it the job of the pollster to stand out from the crowd?  When you first started dating your wife, did you go with "I have the same limitations as everyone else!!!".  

You know who else was right on the outcome of many of the elections cited?  Me.  I had John McCain getting trounced 4 minutes into the first debate.  I had Romney getting rolled because he's an empty suit who had virtually no idea how to press an advantage with a vulnerable candidate, and who misunderstood that taking the high road did not mean allowing yourself to be cuckolded by your rival.  2018 was a no brainer, especially in light of the full on Russian assault by the dems, the DOJ, FBI and msm with a fairy tale that incredibly, people believed.  I missed on 2016 and Trump, just like Natestradaumus, but it's been perpetually satisfying ever since to remind people that polls are as good as the data that goes into them, and even then, sometimes not so much.

Let's agree to disagree.  I know you have fingered Joe Biden to be the next President, and you might be right. 

I also think you may have an Al Roker fetish, but to each his own. 

You make a fair point about Silver's miss not being excused by the fact that basically everyone else missed, too.  Completely agree.  I suspect that 2016 was a tough year for pollsters because there was a lot more ditching of landlines by then than there was in 2012 and it might have been tougher to accurately sample.  But you're completely right; just because everyone else made a mistake doesn't mean that Silver's mistake is excused. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Is there anyone left you haven't accused of being a racist? Don't you think it's time for a new schtick? 

So passé .....

Note: He has no problem accusing random internet people of racism -- but no time for calling out the pedos of the world or their enablers when the information is shared. Instead, he'd rather bury that information. 

Shows you everything you need to know about Gary. He's for stopping free speech but against stopping those who hurt kids. 

Because he's a bad person. Not a bad poster, a bad person. 

• Thank you (+1) 2