The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

RATHER A LOT, REALLY: 

Here’s How Much Downstate New York Is Skewing the United States’ Coronavirus Numbers. 

“What this tells us is that there shouldn’t be a one-size-fits-all approach to social distancing or reopening the country. I feel pretty safe where I live, but because I’m in New York State, and Governor Cuomo is treating the whole state like it is downstate, I have to abide by the same statewide restrictions.

Further, if the media ever chose to look at the country’s numbers the way I have, they’d see that the overwhelming majority of the country is doing much, much better than it appears to be when you include downstate New York in our numbers.”

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I'm not buying that photo TBH. I can't go to a single park in my area and see 10% of the people not in masks as long as they are walking. I see none of those people in masks so I highly doubt that's real.  

Edit: Didn't take long to dig up that the photo is at least 12 days old. Nice handle of the guy sharing it, a purveyor of crap info.

https://people.com/travel/central-park-still-crowded-with-people-despite-stay-at-home-and-social-distancing-orders-in-nyc/

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

Total deaths include nursing home deaths. 

Some deaths are undercounted. Some overcounted. Political spectrum determines which side of that you will fall. I don’t know which one is right and both sides make compelling arguments and have compelling data and policy decisions to support their position. Either way, the current number is definitely in the ballpark. 

I may have misinterpreted the multiple reports I read. If the Nursing home deaths are counted in the total but not tracked individually, that makes a little more sense.

Except that last I checked--again maybe this changed in the last couple days, so correct me if I'm wrong--only somewhere around half the states in the country are even providing data regarding Covid-19 related deaths in nursing homes.

That combined with our minuscule testing numbers PER CAPITA in relation to other countries and it'd be wishful thinking to not believe the total Covid-19 related deaths in our country are significantly higher than the already frightening 39,000+ number it stands at today, less than 3 months since the first confirmed US case.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

I'm not buying that photo TBH. I can't go to a single park in my area and see 10% of the people not in masks as long as they are walking. I see none of those people in masks so I highly doubt that's real.  

Edit: Didn't take long to dig up that the photo is at least 12 days old. Nice handle of the guy sharing it, a purveyor of crap info.

LOL...........12 days old !...............oh no !

Why NYC didn't even know about the virus on April 6th !

Spin, spin, spin............

THE CDC: A PANTLOAD OF FAIL. Coronavirus tests were delayed by contamination at CDC lab, report says.

A delay by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in quickly making coronavirus test kits available was the result of “a glaring scientific breakdown” at the CDC’s central lab, The Washington Post reported Saturday, citing scientists and federal regulators.

The Post reported that CDC facilities which assembled the testing kits “violated sound manufacturing practices, resulting in contamination of one of the three test components used in the highly sensitive detection process.”

And while the part of the test that was compromised was not critical to detecting the coronavirus, CDC officials took more than a month to remove it from the test kits, according to The Post.

That lag in action aggravated national delays in testing for the virus, and in turn hampered a battle to contain the virus’s spread, the newspaper said.

Sad, but unsurprising. The CDC just isn’t very good at its job.

Related: The CDC was Fighting Racism and Obesity Instead of Stopping Epidemics.

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

LOL...........12 days old !...............oh no !

Why NYC didn't even know about the virus on April 6th !

Spin, spin, spin............

First there’s no evidence the photo is from April 6...the story from April 6 says people were “recently seen,” and I’m not sure People is the best source for exacting language. It’s just at least that old. And masks were barely on people’s minds two weeks ago. Hard to keep in mind how fast the changes have happened. heck there is some guy here who is adamant he will

not wear masks and another who says they are useless. And there are other photos in that article of people with masks. I wonder why when he chose a two week old photo to misrepresent things, he didn’t pick those. 

But if you want to defend a guy who represented that a photo from —-People—- from two weeks ago was taken yesterday to foment the “outrage” machine, have at it. I just wanted to point out it was crap. 

Edited by shoshin

11 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Would have loved to see haw many of them knew they did. I gotta get the blood test and see if the two times I was sick with all the known symptoms if it was this. First week of February and fist week in March. March started with a sore throat followed by a low fever and chest congestion. Few days later the bride got the same sore throat and coughing up phlegm with no fever. Then older son got the same symptoms and it stuck with him for a week. All of us have been hitting the Vit B all winter

yep, deathly ill here the first week of Feb myself. had all the symptoms except maybe the fever. may have had the fever but didn't notice it with all the other crap that i was dealing with. i would cough so hard trying to bring up non existent phlem that i actually torn the lower outer muscle wall of the abdomen. the worst was the shortness of breath, i actually thought i was done for a bit there.

from what i can gather, large doses of Vit C and Vit D are the best in the fight against this thing.

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

yep, deathly ill here the first week of Feb myself. had all the symptoms except maybe the fever. may have had the fever but didn't notice it with all the other crap that i was dealing with. i would cough so hard trying to bring up non existent phlem that i actually torn the lower outer muscle wall of the abdomen. the worst was the shortness of breath, i actually thought i was done for a bit there.

from what i can gather, large doses of Vit C and Vit D are the best in the fight against this thing.

You might want to include A, B and Zinc with that. Also there is a supplement called Bioperine that supposedly also assists with the absorption (like Zinc) of the other vitamins. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

First there’s no evidence the photo is from April 6...the story from April 6 says people were “recently seen,” and I’m not sure People is the best source for exacting language. It’s just at least that old. And masks were barely on people’s minds two weeks ago. Hard to keep in mind how fast the changes have happened. heck there is some guy here who is adamant he will

not wear masks and another who says they are useless. And there are other photos in that article of people with masks. I wonder why when he chose a two week old photo to misrepresent things, he didn’t pick those. 

But if you want to defend a guy who represented that a photo from —-People—- from two weeks ago was taken yesterday to foment the “outrage” machine, have at it. I just wanted to point out it was crap. 

When I saw that picture I didn’t even think about the lack of masks.  It was the lack of social distancing and staying at home which was in place then. 

I come here for a little bit in the early morning and remain amazed at the discussion. People, nobody is a bigger critic of the federal, state and local government than I am....but I have to say in general the response to Covid 19 is an example of things be done right, not wrong. If you take a breath and look back one month ago to what was being said you’ll find that everything is now pointing in the right direction. Cases are way down. Deaths are therefore down. Nobody went without a ventilator. The people generally followed the precautionary guidelines without the imposition of overly heavy handed government enforcement. My guess is that by April 30th this will look even better still. It’s been an amazing call to action of public and private resources! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I come here for a little bit in the early morning and remain amazed at the discussion. People, nobody is a bigger critic of the federal, state and local government than I am....but I have to say in general the response to Covid 19 is an example of things be done right, not wrong. If you take a breath and look back one month ago to what was being said you’ll find that everything is now pointing in the right direction. Cases are way down. Deaths are therefore down. Nobody went without a ventilator. The people generally followed the precautionary guidelines without the imposition of overly heavy handed government enforcement. My guess is that by April 30th this will look even better still. It’s been an amazing call to action of public and private resources! 

You bring up a good point about the ventilators. Has anyone called our Cuomo regarding his comment about how many people were going  to die without ventilators?  People may give Trump ***** about some his comments and he deserves a lot of that. But one thing you can’t accuse him of and that’s hysterically running around with his hair on fire. And during a crises that is not good leadership. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

You bring up a good point about the ventilators. Has anyone called our Cuomo regarding his comment about how many people were going  to die without ventilators?  People may give Trump ***** about some his comments and he deserves a lot of that. But one thing you can’t accuse him of and that’s hysterically running around with his hair on fire. And during a crises that is not good leadership. 

I actually think they both did really well considering the circumstances. My only criticism would be Cuomo should have been more openly thankful (more like Christie of Obama during Sandy) and Trump should’ve not let a lack of a thank you color his comments ....but I honestly think he’s exhausted.

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It's too bad a few dumbass governors and a NYC mayor have felt that they need to be overbearing. Protests got started in states that were adding unnecessary restrictions. Things seem to be going pretty well but stupidly telling people they can't buy paint or seeds to give them something to do while staying at home is just idiotic. 

• Like (+1) 1

I actually think they both did really well considering the circumstances. My only criticism would be Cuomo should have been more openly thankful (more like Christie of Obama during Sandy) and Trump should’ve not let a lack of a thank you color his comments ....but I honestly think he’s exhausted.

Oh I agree that Cuomo, for the most part, had handled the crisis well. I’m just pointing out he was wrong to be “hysterical” about it. He was so wrong in fact NY is now giving away their surplus. I sure hope this doesn’t spike again and NY needs them. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

It's too bad a few dumbass governors and a NYC mayor have felt that they need to be overbearing. Protests got started in states that were adding unnecessary restrictions. Things seem to be going pretty well but stupidly telling people they can't buy paint or seeds to give them something to do while staying at home is just idiotic. 

I’ll agree with you there. Of everything that’s gone on, the local guidelines have been rather odd to say the least. In fact some have been downright head scratchers! But...I chalk it all up to officials who like to see how far they push, and I see the citizenry’s push back as the opposite but equal reaction. This too shall pass. (If this shows anything, it’s that there’s indeed a place for robust legislative debate. Without it, people have no recourse but to stand on the steps of the capital and scream at a building!)

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh I agree that Cuomo, for the most part, had handled the crisis well. I’m just pointing out he was wrong to be “hysterical” about it. He was so wrong in fact NY is now giving away their surplus. I sure hope this doesn’t spike again and NY needs them. 

We have 10's of thousands on order and starting to be delivered. In a couple of months we'll be selling them to other countries. My guess is the world will have a surplus of them. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

He was wrong to hysterical but watching his brother proves it’s the way things work in the Cuomo family. In fact, with Trump we actually two New Yorkers on the main stage. Probably not the best look, but I’ll take it ANY DAY over the mush mouthed PC crowd who spew endless run on paragraphs without saying a damn thing. Nobody needs Hillary ‘taking full responsibility’ while doing absolutely nothing, during a national health crisis. 

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah, Dr.Trump needs his ego stroked or he whines. Great leader! 

59 minutes ago, Foxx said:

yep, deathly ill here the first week of Feb myself. had all the symptoms except maybe the fever. may have had the fever but didn't notice it with all the other crap that i was dealing with. i would cough so hard trying to bring up non existent phlegm that i actually torn the lower outer muscle wall of the abdomen. the worst was the shortness of breath, i actually thought i was done for a bit there.

I did large doses of C and D with Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE). I use GSE for every time I get Bronchitis as 90% of the time they are viral. It is and antiviral and anti-inflammatory  AND anti-bacterial. I take that 3 times a day like I would antibiotics. This is why I put myself on a D regimen as that helps strengthen your lungs. Better before an onset then after. That said, my cough was so bad that I thought I was going to have a heart attack because of the chest tightness when I was coughing. The fever I spiked was low and short lived. Maybe for a couple hours. In fact, 2 months later and I am still getting phlegm up from time to time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Q-baby! said:

Thanks for lifting the level of the conversation, as always. My hope is that one day you’ll look back at your posts and realize ‘geez what a total ####### I was during all of that’. Your childish responses are just plain tired now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

I have never blocked a poster. I am close. I can take great arguments from intelligent people with information that helps build a case but asinine statements with no base is where I draw the line. You do this consistently. Bring some information. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for lifting the level of the conversation, as always. My hope is that one day you’ll look back at your posts and realize ‘geez what a total ####### I was during all of that’. Your childish responses are just plain tired now. 

We hit submit at exactly the same time

1 minute ago, fansince88 said:

I have never blocked a poster. I am close. I can take great arguments from intelligent people with information that helps build a case but asinine statements with no base is where I draw the line. You do this consistently. Bring some information. 

Use the tools at your disposal! 

Just now, fansince88 said:

We hit submit at exactly the same time

Are the moderators alive? The Q Baby commentary is beyond tired. 

• Like (+1) 1

Are the moderators alive? The Q Baby commentary is beyond tired. 

We don't need or want moderators here. If everybody ignored his sorry ass and just didn't respond he would eventually give up and go away. His only purpose is to suck people into responding to him and then sowing stupid arguments thus keeping people from having meaningful discussion. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

We don't need or want moderators here. If everybody ignored his sorry ass and just didn't respond he would eventually give up and go away. His only purpose is to suck people into responding to him and then sowing stupid arguments thus keeping people from having meaningful discussion. 

It pays well! 

Thanks, and you’re of course correct. But just like back in class, is there no place for the teacher to tell the kid in the back row to shut the $&@@ up, or send someone out in the hallway? Others are trying to have a discussion.

• Sad 1

Thanks, and you’re of course correct. But just like back in class, is there no place for the teacher to tell the kid in the back row to shut the $&@@ up, or send someone out in the hallway? Others are trying to have a discussion.

That’s the ignore feature. Pretty simple! 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

The ignore feature. When you use it, check all the boxes so you do not see their replies in quotes. You always have the option of seeing one post from the person on ignore, and of course, you can remove someone from your ignore list at any time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Other than accepting moderation our only options are a firm ignore or a soft ignore. Either way will work but it'll take time, plus everyone needs to do it. 

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

The ignore feature. When you use it, check all the boxes so you do not see their replies in quotes. You always have the option of seeing one post from the person on ignore, and of course, you can remove someone from your ignore list at any time.

He is proud of the fact that people put him on ignore. That says a lot about why he’s here. And if that’s the main reason he is here I have no idea why he’s allowed to continue. Sure there is very little moderating here but maybe we should advocate for change. It does ruin the forum for those trying to have an adult conversations. 

Other than accepting moderation our only options are a firm ignore or a soft ignore. Either way will work but it'll take time, plus everyone needs to do it. 

But when you put someone on ignore, you should probably ignore them. Something you haven’t figured out how to do yet apparently! ?

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Not effective when trolls open new accounts everyday and sometimes more than that.  I used to go on IMDb when it had a comments section and there were trolls opening new accounts every hour.  The trolling pushes worthwhile dialogue only a few hours old a page or two back making it more cumbersome.  The mods need to do their jobs as online janitors and clean up the trash.  Don't hold your breath though.  A couple of generations of far left thinking combined with a couple of generations of Saturday Night Live culture confuses the problem for some.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

He is proud of the fact that people put him on ignore. That says a lot about why he’s here. And if that’s the main reason he is here I have no idea why he’s allowed to continue. Sure there is very little moderating here but maybe we should advocate for change. It does ruin the forum for those trying to have an adult conversations. 

Be careful what you wish for ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Since Tiberius is drawing a paycheck to be here he will keep chit bombing until the plug is pulled on him.