The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Fauci was asked point blank, are you saying Americans should prepare for 100,000 people dying?

He said yes.

You’re still not getting this whole optimism vs pessimism thing, are you? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. 

The more scared you are, the more likely you are to get sick. Remember to breathe. Mean that sincerely for the sake of your health as a fellow Bills fan. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dubs said:

well, you originally said it didn’t matter. It does and it did.  No one is perfect in this, including the president, but if you’re being honest with yourself, the China travel ban early in January absolutely helped. 

It helped.

Unfortunately they completely dropped the ball domestically on a variety of issues. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Fauci was asked point blank, are you saying 100,000 people will die?

He said yes.

Watch it again. He said “yes it could” happen, and then spent the next 10 minutes explaining why he is hopeful it will not happen. IOW, could, not will. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Fauci was asked point blank, are you saying Americans should prepare for 100,000 people dying?

He said yes.

He said we should prepare for it. He did NOT say those projections were inevitable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Trump restricted travel from China just 4 days after Italy completely banned it on Jan 31. What is this 6 weeks you’re referring to? Btw, the ban doesn’t  seem to have been effective for Italy either. Your Monday QBing is pure speculation and without significant merit. 

Right!!! Travel bans didn't do anything.

The issue is once you have it INSIDE your border, like Italy, Spain, the US, etc, it's too late.

At that point you either lock things down and start testing as many people as you can like South Korea did, or you're pretty much screwed. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

It helped.

Unfortunately they completely dropped the ball domestically on a variety of issues. 

probably true. I mean, what do you expect. It’s a huge bureaucracy. dropping the ball is what governments do. 

• Like (+1) 1

He said we should prepare for it. He did NOT say those projections were inevitable. 

What event over the next 4 weeks is going to improve their models?

With FULL MITIGATION they're saying 100,000 to 240,000 people are going to die based off their models.

What factor is going to improve that model? Are we just hoping their math is wrong? 

1 minute ago, dubs said:

probably true. I mean, what do you expect. It’s a huge bureaucracy. dropping the ball is what governments do. 

Totally agree.

Western Democratic societies have for the most part completely dropped the ball due to dragging their feet trying not to ruffle the economy's feathers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Right!!! Travel bans didn't do anything.

The issue is once you have it INSIDE your border, like Italy, Spain, the US, etc, it's too late.

At that point you either lock things down and start testing as many people as you can like South Korea did, or you're pretty much screwed. 

Weren’t enough tests to do this; heck there still aren’t enough now. So easy to say this or that should have been done. Nowhere in the world has a medical system designed to handle this. It simply doesn’t exist. 

Sure it helped. If any ball was dropped , it was dropped at the State level. 

LMAO

Of course it was. 

The Federal Government, with their vastly superior resources compared to the state level was obviously not the problem.

Their messaging over the past 35 days has been great. From calling it a hoax, to saying that when there were 15 cases there would soon be 0, they did an awesome job. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Weren’t enough tests to do this; heck there still aren’t enough now. So easy to say this or that should have been done. Nowhere in the world has a medical system designed to handle this. It simply doesn’t exist. 

Ding ding ding!

Whose fault is the lack of tests?

Last I checked the White House rejected the WHO's test so that they could develop their own, which didn't work, and they wasted 4 weeks when they could have just used the one that worked and started mass producing it in late January. 

• Like (+1) 2

With FULL MITIGATION they're saying 100,000 to 240,000 people are going to die based off their models.

What factor is going to improve that model? Are we just hoping their math is wrong? 

Totally agree.

Western Democratic societies have for the most part completely dropped the ball due to dragging their feet trying not to ruffle the economy's feathers. 

not quite true.  

I think there is an argument to be made that the biggest lesson in all of this is that individuals are way too dependent on government and living far too close to catastrophe.  The reasons range from over spending, too much debt and borrowing, not preparing, little to no savings, broken family structures, and more. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Yes, somewhere in this thread I said de Blasio and Trump were similar in this.

If you did then good for you. However, I certainly haven't been reading posts from you that suggest you hold anyone other than Trump responsible.

My point is, if you want to spend your time casting blame, be my guest, just do it equally because if you feel one is to blame, then they are all to blame.

Me, I see no value in it. It serves no uesful purpose right now.

This administration has been no worse in responding to this than any other country and better than most. People are going to die here just like they are dying everywhere else - and just like they have under past epidemics. I believe this country will do all it can to keep that number as low as possible. I hope the end is not too far off.

We can debate "should haves" and "could haves" all you like at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

The Trump Virus could have been drastically mitigated if he listened to the people who were experts on the situation, if he shut his fat mouth, and if he didn't wait until the absolute last minute to act. Of course if he did any of those things, he wouldn't be the incompetent bumbling idiot we all know. He knew about this in January and did nothing. He's still mostly doing nothing.

The Trump virus?  He’s doing nothing?  What do you suggest he do?

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

If you watched, they were hopeful NY and NJ were the outliers, and Washington was what we will see happen. 

1 minute ago, dubs said:

not quite true.  

I think there is an argument to be made that the biggest lesson in all of this is that individuals are way too dependent on government and living far too close to catastrophe.  The reasons range from over spending, too much debt and borrowing, not preparing, little to no savings, broken family structures, and more. 

I totally agree again.

The system is set up for this to be the average person's existence. 

People live pay cheque to pay cheque, are up to their eyeballs in debt, pay insane interest on their credit cards and ultimately spend way beyond their means. 

From individuals to corporations, everyone assumes the system will work... until it doesn't, and then everyone goes looking for a bailout. 

• Like (+1) 1

What many of you are missing is that in a country as big as the United States we have Chinese planes coming into multiple airports on both coasts. From there those people immediately fanned our all over our country in a matter of hours, not days! It’s not like Italy, which is smaller than California. The administration caught it WAY WAY early but it was already too late to avoid the trajectory. China is the real culprit here. The virus didn’t swim here. It boarded planes with their citizens. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you watched, they were hopeful NY and NJ were the outliers, and Washington was what we will see happen. 

I did watch.

They're hoping they're outliers.

Fauci knows they're not.

Fauci has been saying for weeks this is going to hit every corner of the country. 

NYC is one of the most densely populated places on Earth. It was always going to hit there fastest and hardest. The issue is that without domestic travel bans, people have left NYC and spread this all over the country. 

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

LMAO

Of course it was. 

The Federal Government, with their vastly superior resources compared to the state level was obviously not the problem.

Their messaging over the past 35 days has been great. From calling it a hoax, to saying that when there were 15 cases there would soon be 0, they did an awesome job. 

Ding ding ding!

Whose fault is the lack of tests?

Last I checked the White House rejected the WHO's test so that they could develop their own, which didn't work, and they wasted 4 weeks when they could have just used the one that worked and started mass producing it in late January. 

Mass testing was the reason South Korea was able to stop this so effectively, despite the threat being much larger there and Seoul being a more populous and dense city than NYC. 

I did watch.

They're hoping they're outliers.

Fauci knows they're not.

Fauci has been saying for weeks this is going to hit every corner of the country. 

NYC is one of the most densely populated places on Earth. It was always going to hit there fastest and hardest. The issue is that without domestic travel bans, people have left NYC and spread this all over the country. 

Is that when Diblasio was telling New Yorkers to go about their business and not worry about a thing?

• Like (+1) 3