The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

19 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

Are you serious? You don't think grocery workers have the right to protect themselves from being infected while at work? What about nurses? Are you aghast at their use of masks also?  I cannot disagree with you more strongly. If a mask saves ONE person from being infected they are worth it. Its almost like you wrote something stupid and now are bending yourself backwards to justify it. Why not say it was a brain fart and move on. The deal is they are working with the general public and grocery workers have no idea who is infected and who isn't. And vice verse. The stop of ANY covid transmission seems win win and a very small price to pay. Herd mentality Wow.

OH and scary slippery slope to what this I've got to hear. Not to be sarcastic but are you really a chef?

Question.  Does them wearing a mask protect them from me if I'm infected and not wearing a mask?

The slippery slope and herd mentality is people wearing masks when it's not even proven to work and a majority of what people are wearing do absolutely no good.  If I showed up with a wool scarf that you can see through I would have been let in.  Let someone in wearing something that protects no one at all.  So yeah WTF??  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Huge Cost of Waiting to Contain the Pandemic As the numbers show, the timing of social distancing can have an enormous impact on death tolls.

We have lost 20,000 Americans in the last 8 days, 30,000 in the last 13 days. 

We are going to pass the 60,000 projection and could well surpass 100,000 if Trump keeps agitating to reopen. 

Study shows if Trump recommended social distancing March 2 not March 16, 90% would have been prevented.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Question.  Does them wearing a mask protect them from me if I'm infected and not wearing a mask?  

Depending on the efficacy of the mask that would be a YES. Your point being that it may not protect them so why wear one?

Just now, ~Kostabi~ said:

Depending on the efficacy of the mask that would be a YES. Your point being that it may not protect them so why wear one?

Again so if I showed up with a scarf that you can see through I would be let in so what's the point?  And yes that's my point.  If they are working in the public they should be provided with N95 masks from their employers and nothing else.  

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Tested 4.18M Americans.

He listed how much more testing the US has done than about 10 countries combined (he listed the countries).

The US has surpassed 750,000 reported cases - 4x higher than any other country.

The US now makes up 32% of all worldwide cases.

The US has tragically also passed 40,000 deaths.

The US makes up 24% of all worldwide deaths.

We are 4% of the world's population.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Again so if I showed up with a scarf that you can see through I would be let in so what's the point?  And yes that's my point.  If they are working in the public they should be provided with N95 masks from their employers and nothing else.  

Okay I'll buy that as at least a reasonable thought. That wasn't the original point though. It was about you having a WTF attitude regarding being denied entry to a grocery because you aren't willing to even afford them a modicum of protection from your possible germs to me seems a bit selfish. No offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The WTF moment is if they are protecting themselves from me by wearing a mask what's the deal.  And besides there is still no proof the masks do a ***** thing for either of us.  It's a herd mentality and a very scary slippery slope in my mind. 

Please explain how I'm wrong.  

Of course masks help. 100% effective no. But they help you stop spreading. 

If you think you know better than the CDC, Don’t wear a mask and shop somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

Okay I'll buy that as at least a reasonable thought. That wasn't the original point though. It was about you having a WTF attitude regarding being denied entry to a grocery because you aren't willing to even afford them a modicum of protection from your possible germs to me seems a bit selfish. No offense. 

None taken. But again if they are wearing a high quality N95 mask are they protected?  

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If you think you know better than the CDC, Don’t wear a mask and shop somewhere else.

I did. 

Edited by Chef Jim

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

the pertinent word being YOU meaning he possibly stopping a spread of his potential germs to the workers. I think I've said enough on this I'll never really understand his position I think its at minimum selfish and at worst irresponsible

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

None taken. But again if they are wearing a high quality N95 mask are they protected?  

I did. 

But it's understandable they wear a mask.  

My buddy and I go to store. I wear one wash cloths lol. My mother made him one(he doesn't like it lol). But anyway's we both get some beer. He puts his face under his shirt as a face mask lol.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Trump showing a clip on Cuomo's phenomenal comments (he praised the Feds up and down) about the Federal government from Cuomo's presser today. 

Trump said this was great because it was bipartisan.  He's thanking Cuomo for his statement. 

Comments, looking for the clip

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I did. 

as well as anyone can be if worn properly that would be a yes at least as far as the masks intended purpose  But they COULD touch something and then touch their mouth, or touch something and then before they wash their hands rub their eyes. So are they 1000% protected while at work No. But I think precautions are a wise path to at least TRY to remain covid-free.

7 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

And let me be clear.  Didn’t argue or complain I just turned around and left. I drove to another store which also turned me away. Went to a third that met me in. And pretty much every employee was not wearing a mask. I thought that was strange. 

FEMA is working on getting more high quality gowns (and money).

Thanking America textile manufacturer. Mentioned Hanes and someone else that will be making 5M more gowns. 

Honeywell is making N95 masks in Rhode Island. They converted a factory in 5 weeks instead of 9 months. They will produce 20M masks per month.

Thanking 3M for stepping up (after a skirmish in teh beginning). Making more masks. 

Mentioning the Ohio sterilizer company (again). 

American medical workers normally use 25M masks in a typical year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

as well as anyone can be if worn properly that would be a yes at least as far as the masks intended purpose  But they COULD touch something and then touch their mouth, or touch something and then before they wash their hands rub their eyes. So are they 1000% protected while at work No. But I think precautions are a wise path to at least TRY to remain covid-free.

And they should take precautions to protect themselves if they work in public.  Their employers should provide all employees with high quality N95 masks and test them before every shift to make sure they are fitted and working properly 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

And they should take precautions to protect themselves if they work in public.  Their employers should provide all employees with high quality N95 masks and test them before every shift to make sure they are fitted and working properly 

Are there enough N95 masks available for all healthcare workers and grocery store workers? 

He's talking about supply chains. 

Why a supply chain? Make your products here! (United States)

Bring the supply chains back to the United States... where they never should have left. The globalists are bad (paraphrased). 

He is on to WHO and WTO and the investigations. 

Pointing out the Democratic debate in Vegas on February 24th. (echoing his tweet earlier)

The common mask that you see most people wearing or even the homemade ones that have a fairly high thread count will generally protect the people the mask wearer meets. It can provide some protection for the wearer. Remember the wearer can breath in but the mask limits the distance the wearer can project any droplets. So, wearing a mask helps a person to not spread the virus in case they have it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

COVID treatment acceleration program. To slash red tape and speed up development (treatments, immune therapies, antibody tests). 

Pence: naming large metro areas that are past their peak. NO is most stable of the large metro areas he mentioned.
Watching: Chicago, Boston, Philly.

Pence: report 55,028 military personal have been deployed (medical), he mentioned the amount of nation guard too, but I missed that number.

Pence: hosting a call with the governors of the states and territories, to review, criteria, etc before reopening. Change in mitigation strategies. Providing more details about all the testing labs available across the country (and their states).

30 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Are there enough N95 masks available for all healthcare workers and grocery store workers? 

Great question. I don’t know. If not they go to healthcare workers first. Then if there is not enough to fully outfit all stores they should be rationed and the number of people allowed in will be determined by the number of employees that are properly protected and the number of customers they can service. I know everyplace isn’t like SoCal but do we need a Ralph’s on every corner?  There have not been a lot of people in the stores I have been in lately. 

And if they can’t service them we go to a delivery system. 

@Q-baby! Don’t you dare give me a thumbs up. You’re harshing my cred and making me reconsider my view. ?

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

Something that doesn't seem to have been recognized as a real strength of DJT throughout his presidency is his ability to cut through red tape. Buffalo_Gal mentioned the Honeywell plant in Rhode Island that was set up and started production in 5 weeks when 9 months would have been typical. That is phenomenal and there is no doubt in my mind that Trump, if not directly involved set the tone for this to happen. He's the Git Er Done President. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Great question. I don’t know. If not they go to healthcare workers first. Then if there is not enough to fully outfit all stores they should be rationed and the number of people allowed in will be determined by the number of employees that are properly protected and the number of customers they can service. I know everyplace isn’t like SoCal but do we need a Ralph’s on every corner?  There have not been a lot of people in the stores I have been in lately. 

The Honeywell plant that just opened up will be making N95 masks. 

• Like (+1) 2

CMS Seema Verma:
Medicare put out $90B in accelerated medicare payments.
Hospitals are reporting unused capacity, and laying off.
Nursing home - payments + labs payments 
Nursing home transparency - requiring nursing homes to report to patients and families if they have COVID in the nursing home. They also need to report to the CDC.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

CMS Seema Verma:
Medicare put out $90B in accelerated medicare payments.
Hospitals are reporting unused capacity, and laying off.
Nursing home - payments + labs payments 
Nursing home transparency - requiring nursing homes to report to patients and families if they have COVID in the nursing home. They also need to report to the CDC.

President Trump doing such a amazing job. Loving this press conference.

100 trillion right on nursing home.   Doing the right thing.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

33 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

@Q-baby! Don’t you dare give me a thumbs up. You’re harshing my cred and making me reconsider my view. ?

? I tried to “unlike” it, but it wouldn’t let me. My apologies! ?

6 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

You are correct in stating they use us up here as a cash cow, but they see dollar signs at the prospect of opening up some parts of upstate. They effectively have zero revenue coming into the state coffers right now.

I know it's repeated often, but this is a myth.  NYC plus the 5 counties surrounding it are the money machine for the state.  Don't ignore CT & NJ commuters who also pay the full NYS tax.

Granted, Cuomo can relax a lot of the business restrictions on upstate and Southern Tier to help their economies grow.  But the fact remains, NYC metro contributes much more to the state fisc than it takes out.