The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 hours ago, Magox said:

5) Trump retweeting a "fire Fauci" hashtag is interesting.  Clearly there is a level of friction and he is getting pressure from his right wing base to minimize Fauci's role.  I think that is a terrible idea.  Or, it could be his way of sending a brushback pitch to Fauci.  Who knows?   But without doubt that will be the most anticipated question in today's briefing.   Will Fauci even be there?  If so, will he clarify?   

Here's the actual tweet he retweeted.  Clearly the interview irked him and there's likely some friction between the two.  I just see it as venting and Trump knows that the average American just wants consistently and stability in the federal government's response to this.  He won't fire Fauci yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Here's the actual tweet he retweeted.  Clearly the interview irked him and there's likely some friction between the two.  I just see it as venting and Trump knows that the average American just wants consistently and stability in the federal government's response to this.  He won't fire Fauci yet.

I tend to agree with your take, DocB. The anti-Fauci push was pushed early on by the most rabid partisans who, citing Fauci's ties to Clinton in the Wikileaks dump (and Valarie Jarret), take him to be a bad actor. I've never bought that, and I don't think 45 does either (else he would have kicked him to the curb a month ago). There have been Fauci moments where he's made it tough to keep that stance though. His deflection/protection of the WHO and its director as an example -- but I write that off to his personal relationship with the man more than anything else. 

I don't think he's going anywhere -- even if Trump is done with him -- for the reasons you state above. If there's an issue, Trump will take him out after this passes and replace him.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I tend to agree with your take, DocB. The anti-Fauci push was pushed early on by the most rabid partisans who, citing Fauci's ties to Clinton in the Wikileaks dump (and Valarie Jarret), take him to be a bad actor. I've never bought that, and I don't think 45 does either (else he would have kicked him to the curb a month ago). There have been Fauci moments where he's made it tough to keep that stance though. His deflection/protection of the WHO and its director as an example -- but I write that off to his personal relationship with the man more than anything else. 

I don't think he's going anywhere -- even if Trump is done with him -- for the reasons you state above. If there's an issue, Trump will take him out after this passes and replace him.

I can't help but wonder if Fauci is just enjoying the limelight... These epidemiologists are an interesting psychology study for me - they spend their entire career planning and preparing for the worst case scenario, which really makes me wonder if their prone to seeing the worst case scenario in something like this... A self fulfilling prophesy, so to speak. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Wait. Do you think there is a possibility of a causal connection between 5G and Covid-19?

I have no clue. I guess anything is possible, but is it probable? How much do you trust China? I don't believe in coincidences, especially when it comes to communist countries. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GG said:

Not exactly.  5G is an enabling technology.  It's the hardware manufacturers' decision of how to use that technology to get data back and forth.  It's not a given that your refrigerator's diagnostics will be shared with the government.  If governments want to instill a surveillance state, they can do it without 5G.  5G just makes it more efficient.

not paying your child support? off with your fridge.

1 minute ago, westside said:

I have no clue. I guess anything is possible, but is it probable? How much do you trust China? I don't believe in coincidences, especially when it comes to communist countries. 

China didn't develop 5G.  But since the major Western telecom vendors went bankrupt, it opened the door for Huawei to steal technology and use its size to corner the market on emerging 5G gear.   USA's 5G buildouts do not contain any Huawei equipment.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

not paying your child support? off with your fridge.

Worse, they can make the beer inside the fridge explode.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

China didn't develop 5G.  But since the major Western telecom vendors went bankrupt, it opened the door for Huawei to steal technology and use its size to corner the market on emerging 5G gear.   USA's 5G buildouts do not contain any Huawei equipment.

Worse, they can make the beer inside the fridge explode.

But nothing to do with Covid-19 right?

Anyone? Bueller?

In the sleepy town of Mesopotamia, Ohio, population 3,220, health inspectors got wind of an illicit wedding attended by members of the local Amish community and filed a "notice of violation" against the revelers, according to local news reports.

Vindy.com:

[Kristofer J. Wilster, director of environmental health in Trumbull County], said his report will be turned over to Trumbull County authorities. The Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office and the county health department investigated the report of a possible wedding celebration involving 300 people, according to a sheriff’s report.

Oh, the humanity.

And how did the authorities find out about this wedding?

Why, a snitch, of course, because that's the America we live in now:

According to a caller Tuesday night to Trumbull County 911, an Amish wedding was scheduled to take place Thursday around noon at the Mesopotamia location, which is commonly used for large gatherings. The caller told 911 that food preparation at that location began Wednesday with about 40 people.
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Best thing to come out of the lock down: I now know I can order gallons of Margaritas from local Mexican restaurants. ? At one local restaurant you can order a bottle of tequila (house), triple sec (house), and lime juice to make your own... flavored if you prefer.

At one month of being house bound, it is the little things in life... :w00t:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

In the sleepy town of Mesopotamia, Ohio, population 3,220, health inspectors got wind of an illicit wedding attended by members of the local Amish community and filed a "notice of violation" against the revelers, according to local news reports.

Vindy.com:

[Kristofer J. Wilster, director of environmental health in Trumbull County], said his report will be turned over to Trumbull County authorities. The Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office and the county health department investigated the report of a possible wedding celebration involving 300 people, according to a sheriff’s report.

Oh, the humanity.

And how did the authorities find out about this wedding?

Why, a snitch, of course, because that's the America we live in now:

According to a caller Tuesday night to Trumbull County 911, an Amish wedding was scheduled to take place Thursday around noon at the Mesopotamia location, which is commonly used for large gatherings. The caller told 911 that food preparation at that location began Wednesday with about 40 people.

I understand the feeling about being anti-snitch but what the hell do you do when 10% of your town population is gathering in one place against all common sense and it endangers your community?

Calling to shut it down makes sense. I’d do the same thing if 500 people decided to put on a party at my local park right now. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I understand the feeling about being anti-snitch but what the hell do you do when 10% of your town population is gathering in one place against all common sense and it endangers your community?

Calling to shut it down makes sense. I’d do the same thing if 500 people decided to put on a party at my local park right now. 

What do you do when hundreds gather at Walmart?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

FEAR makes people do silly things -- like give up their freedom for the mere illusion of security. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2