Small Town office dilemma

BringBackFergy

There's this one lady that walks in off the street and talks to my secretaries for 20-30 minutes every other day or so...it's soooo frustrating. My office is upstairs and I can hear her talk and talk about stuff around town.

My secretaries try their best to "politely" break the conversation but she keeps going. I've even called my own office phone number on my cell phone upstairs, it rings through and one secretary answers the phone (to indicate she's busy) but she continues talking to the other secretary.

One of my secretaries has hidden under her desk when she sees her coming across the street to my office. The other runs to the bathroom. She announces her appearance and then I go down and talk with her for ten mins until the phone rings (from my secretary on her cell phone under her desk) and it is dead silence. I have to pretend I'm talking to someone. She waits for three or four minutes until I start jotting down notes on paper indicating the call will take awhile.

She's also a doorway diddler: "Well, just thought I'd stop in and give you an update. I have to go now...(door halfway open and cold air rushes in)....ohh, I forgot to tell you, the town is planning a....blah, blah, blah"

I may need some advice on how best to stop this treachery. Any other horror stories out there like this one?

• Haha (+1) 4

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

There's this one lady that walks in off the street and talks to my secretaries for 20-30 minutes every other day or so...it's soooo frustrating. My office is upstairs and I can hear her talk and talk about stuff around town.

My secretaries try their best to "politely" break the conversation but she keeps going. I've even called my own office phone number on my cell phone upstairs, it rings through and one secretary answers the phone (to indicate she's busy) but she continues talking to the other secretary.

One of my secretaries has hidden under her desk when she sees her coming across the street to my office. The other runs to the bathroom. She announces her appearance and then I go down and talk with her for ten mins until the phone rings (from my secretary on her cell phone under her desk) and it is dead silence. I have to pretend I'm talking to someone. She waits for three or four minutes until I start jotting down notes on paper indicating the call will take awhile.

She's also a doorway diddler: "Well, just thought I'd stop in and give you an update. I have to go now...(door halfway open and cold air rushes in)....ohh, I forgot to tell you, the town is planning a....blah, blah, blah"

I may need some advice on how best to stop this treachery. Any other horror stories out there like this one?

Find out where she lives, show up at her home every evening for half an hour and talk her ear off.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

You need advice on how to make someone go away?  Sack up already.  Be the richard cranium and tell her you pay your secretaries to work not to chat with people unless they're paying your fees.  Eat the bad yelp review and feel your testicles swell.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

Find out where she lives, show up at her home every evening for half an hour and talk her ear off.

I see your point, and for a person like you or me, the message would be received loud and clear. Not this one...she's a whole different breed. She'd invite me in and talk MY ear off until the American Flag starts waving on Channel 4.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I see your point, and for a person like you or me, the message would be received loud and clear. Not this one...she's a whole different breed. She'd invite me in and talk MY ear off until the American Flag starts waving on Channel 4.

Sounds like you have to lease a new office in a different town, then.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a fairly common phenomenon, and it's pretty sad if you think about it.  

Jauronimo's approach makes sense; if she keeps coming back after that at least they have some leverage to say "please, I told you I'm going to get in hot water".  I think they will eventually convince her to stay away, though it may take 2 or 3 confrontations.  

You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar in this world.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I may need some advice on how best to stop this treachery.

Buy an egg timer and give it to her.  She's got to bring it with her every time she comes in.  If she doesn't have it, she can't come in.

Tie a bow around it and make sure she knows that this is "her" egg timer, and when the sand hits the bottom, she's got to move along.  

Honestly, no matter how you treat her, it will probably come back and bite you in the ass -- she's going to go around town gabbing about how you've mistreated her.  If your reputation can take the hit that she will surely try to give it, then get it over with.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

She's also a doorway diddler

Walk her butt right out the door with the close talking routine.  There's no languishing in a doorway.

• Haha (+1) 1

Tell her you think Rex Ryan is the best head coach the Bills ever had, even though he had a foot fetish, and then complement her on her shoes (or toes if it was summer and you could see them, but that seems unlikely in January).

But if she then comes back in January with open-toed shoes, you've got a bigger problem.

• Haha (+1) 5

32 minutes ago, snafu said:

Buy an egg timer and give it to her.  She's got to bring it with her every time she comes in.  If she doesn't have it, she can't come in.

Tie a bow around it and make sure she knows that this is "her" egg timer, and when the sand hits the bottom, she's got to move along.  

Honestly, no matter how you treat her, it will probably come back and bite you in the ass -- she's going to go around town gabbing about how you've mistreated her.  If your reputation can take the hit that she will surely try to give it, then get it over with.

Walk her butt right out the door with the close talking routine.  There's no languishing in a doorway.

I'm gonna suggest this to the ladies downstairs. Awesome.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Instruct your admins to tell this woman that they were recently chastised by the boss for spending too much time with personal conversations at the expense of work and she will get them both in hot water.

Tried that. This is the same woman that my secretaries say "Oh, the phone is ringing...I have to take this call" (and it's me calling from upstairs) and she says "That's ok, I'll wait".  

She's one of a kind. In a community of about 4,000 people, I get the one person with so little self-awareness that treats my office like a knitting club.

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm gonna suggest this to the ladies downstairs. Awesome.

Tried that. This is the same woman that my secretaries say "Oh, the phone is ringing...I have to take this call" (and it's me calling from upstairs) and she says "That's ok, I'll wait".  

She's one of a kind. In a community of about 4,000 people, I get the one person with so little self-awareness that treats my office like a knitting club.

Then man up and tell her that unless shes a client she needs to find some place else to socialize or Fergy is going to have to shiv a mofo.

Option B, walk into the lobby with your pants around your ankles and shout "cut the S@#$! Are we gonna f@#$ or not?!?!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.