Josh Allen - PLAYOFF GAME report card

rayray808

I couldn't believe this team imploded as bad as it did in the 2nd half. It was the first time in a very long time where as soon as The Texans scored I felt that "Oh crap were in trouble" feeling in the pit of my stomach. It wasn't just a momentum change the entire game plan, calls going against us, not playing good defense all turned against us. Allen was awful in the 2nd but had some spurts here and there like the drive to get us back in FG range to tie the game. The play calling in the 1st by Daboll was great and I don't praise him very often but I thought it really messed up the Texans not knowing what we were going to do next and Singletary running all over the place then like we've done so many times this season the run game gets abandoned and we force Josh Allen to run around and make bad decisions, I just don't think Daboll should be the guy moving forward to be working with Allen, I don't think he's good enough and that's just my opinion but I'm not putting the sole blame on him.

The OL was man handling the Texans the first half and then it looked like they injected JJ Watt with an 8 ball of coke and he was an absolute monster making Cody Ford his B word for the entire game just about but the messed up think is we very rarely got 2 OL on him, it was usually Ford and Tyler Kroft or Ford and Knox helping out and that's how you lose games. Not only should the game plan be to take away the offenses best weapon but also the defense. I know Tre White is an all pro but Hopkins was giving him trouble so why not double team him the whole game and force Kenny Stills to be the hero? Or why not double up JJ and let Whitney Mercilus try and beat Dawkins 1 on 1? I didn't understand it. 

Also where was the trickery? Screen plays were working well in the 1st half where did they go in the 2nd? It was a monumental let down in every facet of the game from coaching to, running, passing etc. I don't think this was a lost cause though as Josh Allen got his first taste of the playoffs and I know it crushed him inside to lose this game and I think we can be a team that goes to the playoffs regularly and I think Allen will continue to progress, just my thoughts on it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

McKenzie tripped over his own feet and didnt finish working his way back to the qb 

It was a very poor decision. The DB was all over that play. He made some good plays, but overall he certainly didn’t do enough win — ie, get the team to 20 points. They don’t score enough to be a really good team, and while he needs more weapons and an upgrade at RT, a lot of it is on him. He can’t remain as nad as he is now in blitz situations.

I thought the kid was pretty good, but as the game went on he began to unravel a little bit, probably due to inexperience.  Beginning in the fourth quarter, Allen sitting on the bench looked as if he was going into shock.  He seemed depressed.   It used to drive me crazy when after an interception, Jim Kelly would walk to the sidelines smiling, but it's probably the better approach.  With another year under his belt, Allen won't make mistakes like the lateral to nowhere.  He just needs to dial it back a little bit.  It was a game effort for a first playoff game. 

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I've never seen anything like it.

He makes the hard look easy and the easy look extremely hard. His decision making, particularly when we can score points, is often horrible. 

Our top 3 defense played a huge part in that. 

The lateral was just young guy dumb... it happens...

the fumbles- how has coaching not addressed that issue?  Twice again today and I recall at least 1-2 pretty close encounters.  Two ***** hands on the ball Josh, and defenders pursue very damn fast and strip sack... again, awareness.

critical 3rd down don’t take a sack.  Just don’t do it.... partly coaching, but ***** know the deal Josh 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That deep ball to Hopkins was an absolute thing of beauty. 

I thought the would be TD to Duke Williams was a thing of beauty. What a shame. I could point to about 20 plays in this game that decided the result but that's the one that will stick in my mind for a while. Maybe next year someone in the lineup will be able to make that play.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I thought the would be TD to Duke Williams was a thing of beauty. What a shame. I could point to about 20 plays in this game that decided the result but that's the one that will stick in my mind for a while. Maybe next year someone in the lineup will be able to make that play.

It was. Great throw. The one JB failed to toe tap was a pretty good throw too. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, B-Large said:

The lateral was just young guy dumb... it happens...

the fumbles- how has coaching not addressed that issue?  Twice again today and I recall at least 1-2 pretty close encounters.  Two ***** hands on the ball Josh, and defenders pursue very damn fast and strip sack... again, awareness.

critical 3rd down don’t take a sack.  Just don’t do it.... partly coaching, but ***** know the deal Josh 

It happens?

When have you ever seen a QB try what Allen did?

The others he does all the time...

I wouldn’t hate to see Allen with a different OC. I don’t necessarily think Daboll is the problem, but perhaps someone else could help get more out of Josh. There’s no way he hasn’t been coached time and time again about taking bad sacks and fumbling but he continues to do it. Not sure what else you do about it but I don’t think that simply getting a taller WR will save Josh. He needs a lot of work between the ears. 

53 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

WEEK 15: A

WEEK 16: B

WEEK 17:  **early out pass

GPA: 2.8

OVERALL GRADE SEASON GRADE: B- (rounded up because of making the playoffs)

PLAYOFF ROUND ONE: C

24/46 - 264 yards, 92 yards rushing, 16 yards receiving, TD (receiving)

First half Josh looked like our poised QB who has been progressing along this season. Second half Josh looked like our rookie from last year who played hero ball and played reckless. Yes he had some "wow" plays but his "what the heck are you doing" plays out weighed them all.

Itʻs sad to come to grips with this, but he may have lost the game for us today.

Is it the end of the world though? NO. He has a lot to work on, and a lot of time and resources to get that goal accomplished. We have draft picks and salary cap to get some key players for this team next year.

GO BILLS!

C feels about right. Good first half. Second half - good moments, bad moments, and moments that felt desperate. 

11 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Texans almost picked Allen 4 or 5 times

Bills almost picked Watson once

And the Bills almost sacked Watson on the play that ended up putting them in position for the game winning FG. Guess what “almost” means in football?

Nothing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was. Great throw. The one JB failed to toe tap was a pretty good throw too. 

I thought the throw to brown was late. Brown didn’t have much of a chance. He did make some great throws, but 24-46 was pretty representative of how he played

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Tough catch though too - duke wasn’t able to separate and the DB was right there. He got his hand in there, which caused the breakup.

Meh. That’s an everyday catch imo.

Oh and throw to Brown was def late but that’s on the wideout to know where he is in the field

• Like (+1) 1

C is accurate 

He finally had a good first half and up 16-0 halfway thru the 3rd. We had the ball at midfield with a chance to "Go for the Jugular". But that's not Sean or Brian's style. If these 2 coaches don't figure out this playing conservative only sends you home early, then I don't see us ever going deep in the playoffs. We scored 1 lousy td today on a trick play against one of the weakest defenses in the NFL. The offense disappointed all year. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Tough catch though too - duke wasn’t able to separate and the DB was right there. He got his hand in there, which caused the breakup.

But Duke never had it. If he had it and the DB knocked it out I would be more sympathetic. That is just a bad drop. 

I hate when we run RPO plays, it seems like Josh makes the wrong read every time. Give to Singletary off-guard for no gain when the edge is open. Keep it for 1 yard when Singletary had a hole up the middle.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But Duke never had it. If he had it and the DB knocked it out I would be more sympathetic. That is just a bad drop. 

The db got his hand in there before it hit his hands. It wasn’t PI, however.

look — at the end of the day, williams is a undrafted street free agent/practice squad guy who was playing in canada. He’s not great and performed about as well as could be hoped for.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The db got his hand in there before it hit his hands. It wasn’t PI, however.

look — at the end of the day, williams is a undrafted street free agent/practice squad guy who was playing in canada. He’s not great and performed about as well as could be hoped for.

Yes he isn't very good. He should have caught that ball. He didn't because he isn't very good. 

• Like (+1) 2