Bill Polian and two Sirius colleagues did not vote Lamar Jackson All-Pro

wppete

18 hours ago, wppete said:

Honestly what is wrong with this guy??? Losing all respect for this grumpy old man.

I think Lamar Jackson is wholly deserving, but really, are we in a place where a differing opinion is just impossible to respect?  Wilson was called out as an MVP candidate early in the season and there's an argument to be made that he's carrying his team.  Lamar is a fantastic player but he has a lot of strong talent around him.

I "get it" that Polian set himself up for this with his strong take that Jackson should be a WR or an RB or anything but a QB, but isn't he still allowed to watch games and have his own POV?

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, wppete said:

Interestingly, those other two voters were Pat Kirwan of SiriusXM and Jim Miller of SirisusXM. Polian also appears on SiriusXM. Wilson has been a guest on SiriusXM many times, and may have developed a friendly relationship with the hosts there, but that should in no way influence how those hosts cast their All-Pro votes.

This is an awful piece of journalism.

3 hours ago, dubs said:

This is only a story because of Polian. I’d vote LJ too, guy was awesome, but this happens every year. 

...'ol Bill just trying to stay relevant....ditto for da Fuhrer Coughlin......the two purported "czars" are now czarinas....perhaps on the "OLD Russian Mail Order Brides" website.....maybe GM Bobby Bethard should chime in.....honestly admit I NEVER saw this coming from Jackson, but how do you deny his success?.....whether or not it continues into 2020 and beyond is NOT the current question...kid fooled me ...........

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, wppete said:

"Polian voted for Russell Wilson, and so did the other two voters who didn’t select Jackson. Interestingly, those other two voters were Pat Kirwan of SiriusXM and Jim Miller of SirisusXM. Polian also appears on SiriusXM. Wilson has been a guest on SiriusXM many times, and may have developed a friendly relationship with the hosts there, but that should in no way influence how those hosts cast their All-Pro votes."

I don't know anything about Jim Miller, but Pat Kirwin really knows his football.  His books "Take your Eye Off the Ball" were helpful in making me a more thoughtful student of the game (not too much X's and O's but opening the door to some of the subtleties that make a successful play).  I've bought about 5 copies and I can't put my hand on a single one.  Folks keep borrowing them and I never get 'em back.

So I kind of find the implication that Kirwan just voted for Wilson because Polian influenced him a bit tetchy.  People who see things the same way do tend to cluster in groups, though, which is why so many of the analytics geeks at Football Outsiders and PFF all dis off Allen.

19 hours ago, MJS said:

He's not the best in the NFL. My vote would have gone to Drew Brees.

That's hilarious. Best season ever? Not even close.

Brees missed half the season.

13 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Wilson had just about as good of a year as Jackson and did it with a lot less. Not sure what the issue is here.

Wilson was my top guy until the second half of the season. He kind of fizzled out. 

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

wilson being a proven commodity and a [PAST] champion has no impact on this season though (or at least it shouldn’t.) the numbers have already been posted. The other votes were there for Lamar. He’s the MVP for this season. You can take the long view and say Wilson is the “better player” (and i would agree with you.) But Lamar put up an MVP season and is the MVP. Freezing him out on an all-pro vote because you were proven to be an old, out-of-date geezer? That’s just petty. 

hey I have a soft spot for Brees and wanted him to get MVP last year. But Mahomes deserved it.

I agree with you completely that past numbers shouldn't impact current season, nor should the long view.

I think even old geezers are allowed to have their own POV without necessarily attributing it to being "out of date", petty, or some kind of influence.  I could see the POV that Wilson carried that team this year while Jackson, superb as his contributions were, had a strong cast around him.

Polian of course set himself up for this POV with his comments about Jackson.  The fact is, there's a grain of truth beneath them - Jackson's own teammates acknowledge him as probably a "generational talent" at RB.  Where Polian lacked imagination is conceptualizing that the Ravens would create a system to play Jackson at QB, but still exploit those generational talents so effectively.

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Shouldn’t the realization that you’re not a good librarian kicked in after copy #2 disappeared?  ?

What's your point?

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not saying one or the other should be MVP, don't really care. FFS Why do the same people who always complain about how everyone is entitled to an opinion now want to stifle, badger, and disrespect others? Is it really necessary to bash Polian as old, unknowing, senile etc.? Is it necessary to act like Wilson is not even in the conversation? Is it necessary to call those who do think he is bizarre, unreasonable, ridiculous etc.? NO

Make your damn point without disrespecting others. Otherwise you are contributing to the problem we have as a society. Jeesh

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Polian needs to go away.  Thanks for building the SB teams.  But he needs to just fade away before he completely loses it.

Yeah, the guy who brought us the only decent era in Bills franchise history (since the merger) needs to get lost! 

Short memory, huh?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wilson has had an MVP worthy season too, it goes past just “stats”.  

People forget what Wilson has had to over come this year too and how much he carries that Seahawks team himself.

Im just saying it’s not a travesty for someone to think Wilson is as deserving of the honor.  It’s not that big of a deal and puzzles me why so many people care if Polian is Lamars biggest fan or not.  

I said earlier in this thread that I would vote for Russell Wilson as MVP. I think Lamar Jackson is a good QB and is having a career year in TD production; however, IMHO, I don't believe he is likely to repeat it - and I don't think he is the QB that Russell Wilson is. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I said earlier in this thread that I would vote for Russell Wilson as MVP. I think Lamar Jackson is a good QB and is having a career year in TD production; however, IMHO, I don't believe he is likely to repeat it - and I don't think he is the QB that Russell Wilson is. 

Just realize that this line of argument reinforces those who say what Polian voted was bogus, if he was following your reasoning.  MVP of this season is supposed to be about this season - not whether it's repeatable or sustainable, or whether the guy overall has the prior track record.

This season.  Not previous seasons, not next season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just realize that this line of argument reinforces those who say what Polian voted was bogus, if he was following your reasoning.  MVP of this season is supposed to be about this season - not whether it's repeatable or sustainable, or whether the guy overall has the prior track record.

This season.  Not previous seasons, not next season.

You are right. It is about this season and I said earlier in this thread that Lamar Jackson has had an MVP caliber year in terms of production. I also said in that post that I believe Wilson has had an MVP caliber year as well and would get my vote. I do not think it is likely that Jackson repeats what he did this year; however, that is not my reason for going with Wilson as my MVP. Wilson had to carry his team much more than Jackson, with less overall talent. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are right. It is about this season and I said earlier in this thread that Lamar Jackson has had an MVP caliber year in terms of production. I also said in that post that I believe Wilson has had an MVP caliber year as well and would get my vote. I do not think it is likely that Jackson repeats what he did this year; however, that is not my reason for going with Wilson as my MVP. Wilson had to carry his team much more than Jackson, with less overall talent. 

Thanks for clarifying.  And I agree that is a valid viewpoint, as witness my other posts.

2 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Wilson had just about as good of a year as Jackson and did it with a lot less. Not sure what the issue is here.

What is the lot less?  Met calf was a 2nd rounder.  Lockett has been good for a bunch of years. Carson was better than Ingram last year and they had a 1st round pick.  

wilson is really good.  But people completely overrate what surrounds Lamar.  They have Brown, a rookie who gets hurt a lot, and Andrews who was a 3rd round.  They have some crappy other receivers.  

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What is the lot less?  Met calf was a 2nd rounder.  Lockett has been good for a bunch of years. Carson was better than Ingram last year and they had a 1st round pick.  

wilson is really good.  But people completely overrate what surrounds Lamar.  They have Brown, a rookie who gets hurt a lot, and Andrews who was a 3rd round.  They have some crappy other receivers.  

I think they are both worthy. However, when you talk about talent around the two of them, the conversation needs to begin with the offensive lines. IMO, between pass and run blocking, Baltimore may have the best offensive line in the league. It certainly is much better than Seattle's. A very good Oline can certainly enhance the production of the QB, RBs, and receivers.

I believe Wilson did more, with less, and was asked to carry his team much more than Jackson was. It doesn't mean Jackson didn't have an MVP season, because he did. But, a reasonable person could make an argument that Wilson did as well.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

O lines? Defensive support?

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

21 hours ago, purple haze said:

I don't believe any of the all time greats ran for over a thousand yards while also throwing 36 TDs.  If the stats you site only  include passing yards you are doing Jackson an injustice..

I believe combined passing and rushing yards is fair.  At the end of the day both help achieve the goal of scoring points.

• Like (+1) 1