Week 17: NJ Jets at Buffalo Bills PostGame

A few observations about the jets game:

1) we ran a ton of play action today— something we seem to not do as much with JA. Seemed like it really opened up the middle of the field with Duke and Sweeney catching balls. Am hoping we see more of that next week.

2) Barkley doesn’t have the arm, so he makes

up for it by releasing quicker. This caused all kinds of problems today with receivers not out of their breaks or looking back for the ball yet when the ball was right on them. 

3) Not to beat a dead horse, but Duke was like a man among boys out there. He made good catches and got good YAC. He also got himself open, unlike Foster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s not how you use your best defensive player.   Fortunately, you aren’t making our gameday roster decisions.

Returning punts is not particularly risky.  For years, Antonio Brown returned punts for the Steelers and OBJ did the same for the Giants.  And of course there’s Deion Sanders and Patrick Peterson, both of whom returned punts for years when they were the also the best defensive players on their respective teams.  Plenty of other examples, too.  

7 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

So... by that logic you’re saying Barkley > Allen?

Nope. I am saying that when Josh matures and plays more like Wilson, Brees, Rodgers.... then he will be a vet and the mentor. Barkley may be a vet but he isn’t a starter. And that is what a veteran looks like to me. No participation trophies, more like the Lombardi trophy.....

• Like (+1) 1

Bojorquez got that record with only like 2 of those punts being inside the 17 yard line...the dude is a magnet for the 19 it seems like, even if he's punting from the 50. 

This game was so miserable to be at. Not because of the weather - my gear kept me warm and dry. Fans in our section had no freaking clue where their seats were, because they were sloshed, and all decided to pile into my row. There were probably 50% more people in my row than there are seats, and it happened to the three rows in front of and behind me too, probably people that were on the entire wrong side of the 300s anyway. None of them spent a lick of time focusing on the game, just drunkenly shouting at each other, standing on the benches, faced away from the field, so that we all had to stand the whole game to see over them. Sitting wasn't an option, because they didn't want to get their jeans wet, because all they wore/brought to the stadium for the 45 degree downpour day were jeans and a sweatshirt. Guys next to us were getting stumbled into and beer spilled on them all game. There weren't enough empty seats for my group of 4 to move until the 3rd quarter was just about over. Just a thoroughly miserable time because of a bunch of clowns. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

He did suck, but keep things in perspective.  He's with a team of 2s playing against 1s, who actually wanted to win. 

My perspective has been that Barkley isn’t worthy of an NFL job. It stems from college through 3 pro teams to today. No moxy, no creativity, no awareness. I hope we’re done with him this offseason.

8 hours ago, deraeler said:

Need to vent. Normally accepting of these decisions, but what an exercise in futility.  What did this team IMPROVE UPON or LEARN today?

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Oh yeah! I can see you’re gonna be a fine contributor here! I have a keen eye for new talent and you, my friend, have what it takes to be a game changer here. 

This said, surviving here past 2019 will be a huge hurdle for you..

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I still think Matt has a chance to stick

I dont take a lot of stock in today's game because our OL was in shambles........and he provides that "mentor QB"that McDermott likes.

But make no mistake.....if Josh goes down...we are doomed

You think he sticks, but we’re doomed if he plays?? 

Thanks. I was going to take you to task on this point, but Dr. Jekyll foiled your Mr. Hyde..

6 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

Then let Hyde fair catch again. We essentially have 4 gimmick players. 1 returner only. 2x gunner only in Perry and Foster, and McKenzie only used on sweeps and faking a sweep.... not to mention we also have DiMarco who plays like 10 snaps at most a game (but is special teams ace), and a pure blocking TE in Smith. With all of our special teams ace's I wonder why our ST still has such poor days. Its like 50-50 if they are going to be fantastic, or crap.

ST penalties are way down this year. Still no pressure on kickers but few teams do. I think it’s mediocre to fair kickers who inevitably give our overall STs a bad name. Still not a fan of Bojorwhichamagig nor Hoosegow.

4 hours ago, GG said:

Tiny moral victory is that Jets dropped 2 spots in draft order to No. 11.  Sadly they have the weakest SoS of the 7-9 teams, and didn’t drop into the mid round.

I’ll take 11 for them. It means they’ll likely package up way to many picks to move up for a suspect player in the top 5. Very Jetsy

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

What the tweet fails to recognize is they were barely 30 yard punts. He’s bad and has been from his 1st day here. Not dependable.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I've said it a hundred times but Yeldon should have been cut and Shady kept as the third. Would make us a better team going into the playoffs.

i could see this,  put your best guys out there no matter what, its playoff time.

Shady’s been benched. He was washed up last year. But don’t truth intervene your narrative.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

My perspective has been that Barkley isn’t worthy of an NFL job. It stems from college through 3 pro teams to today. No moxy, no creativity, no awareness. I hope we’re done with him this offseason.

Oh yeah! I can see you’re gonna be a fine contributor here! I have a keen eye for new talent and you, my friend, have what it takes to be a game changer here. 

Thanks. I was going to take you to task on this point, but Dr. Jekyll foiled your Mr. Hyde..

ST penalties are way down this year. Still no pressure on kickers but few teams do. I think it’s mediocre to fair kickers who inevitably give our overall STs a bad name. Still not a fan of Bojorwhichamagig nor Hoosegow.

I’ll take 11 for them. It means they’ll likely package up way to many picks to move up for a suspect player in the top 5. Very Jetsy

What the tweet fails to recognize is they were barely 30 yard punts. He’s bad and has been from his 1st day here. Not dependable.

Shady’s been benched. He was washed up last year. But don’t truth intervene your narrative.

so you think Yeldon is better than shady ???

4 minutes ago, arcane said:

Bojorquez got that record with only like 2 of those punts being inside the 17 yard line...the dude is a magnet for the 19 it seems like, even if he's punting from the 50. 

This game was so miserable to be at. Not because of the weather - my gear kept me warm and dry. Fans in our section had no freaking clue where their seats were, because they were sloshed, and all decided to pile into my row. There were probably 50% more people in my row than there are seats, and it happened to the three rows in front of and behind me too, probably people that were on the entire wrong side of the 300s anyway. None of them spent a lick of time focusing on the game, just drunkenly shouting at each other, standing on the benches, faced away from the field, so that we all had to stand the whole game to see over them. Sitting wasn't an option, because they didn't want to get their jeans wet, because all they wore/brought to the stadium for the 45 degree downpour day were jeans and a sweatshirt. Guys next to us were getting stumbled into and beer spilled on them all game. There weren't enough empty seats for my group of 4 to move until the 3rd quarter was just about over. Just a thoroughly miserable time because of a bunch of clowns. 

Damn. A game from Hell! Sorry you had to endure that.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

What the tweet fails to recognI ize is they were barely 30 yard punts. He’s bad and has been from his 1st day here. Not dependable.

I say this because if your backup has to play any length of time you most certainly are doomed.   I think with the starters and this defense Matt can make pull out 2 wins out of 3 games

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

so you think Yeldon is better than shady ???

No. But Yeldon was getting the roster spot because McB signed him early and expensively in FA DUE to having seen enough from McCoy. This is pretty clear.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I say this because if your backup has to play any length of time you most certainly are doomed.   I think with the starters and this defense Matt can make pull out 2 wins out of 3 games

I don’t. At all.  

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Damn. A game from Hell! Sorry you had to endure that.

Shoulda just stayed home, but it's only the second one I've been able to go to since 2013, and the first ever with my sister. We'll get to one earlier in the year next season. 

And we're going to Houston to play in the playoffs, so that helped things too!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

No. But Yeldon was getting the roster spot because McB signed him early and expensively in FA DUE to having seen enough from McCoy. This is pretty clear.

And they made a mistake and thats not my narrative, its just the facts. You know i love McBeane but they arent always right. Bottom line is he could help us more than Yeldon who has been on the bench much longer.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

And they made a mistake and thats not my narrative, its just the facts. You know i love McBeane but they arent always right. Bottom line is he could help us more than Yeldon who has been on the bench much longer.

A mistake to cut McCoy? Far from fact, that’s delusional. McB got everything out of Shady they could, while not being one of ‘their guys’ and a fast falling career. We’ll agree to disagree here. 

PS I’m no fan of Yeldon either, but he and Lee Smith were very quick FA additions -specifically to address vets McCoy & Clay who they didn’t believe in.

I thought 94 had a nice game.  

Back-up QB is a need; do we need a Vet with Josh going into his 3rd year, or can we go to a developmental asset?

The Duke stuff is overblown I think, he dropped a pass, or two, and looked slow.   

Neal played fairly well, I thought.

Houston

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Honestly i think they should do away with call ins because they are embarrassing. Get competent hosts who actually know something about football, get the coaching and player sound bites on and use twitter to read select questions that are intelligent and coherent.

I think call radio has run its course and its time for more professional programming.

hey they’re just doing what the cruise ships do now (except for the luxury lines): use the customers as entertainment!

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I don’t know too much about it, but from what I do know, I don’t think there’s a huge amount of room for personal preference of the OC to factor into it.

As I understand it, they grade the guys all the time. They grade their every game snap. They grade their every practice snap.  The position coaches give input to the OC and HC about how the guys in their units are developing.  Someone in a quick-response article pointed out a couple mistakes Williams made - running a route short of the sticks? A drop?  McDermott alluded to Williams needing to work on some fundamentals in his presser.

Williams has developed a lot since preseason and even earlier this season.  There is always a “mesh point” where a developing guy is ready to overtake the guy ahead of him and there can be a delay in the coaches pulling the trigger - the entrenched starter gets some benefit of the doubt, and when ST are in play that complicates things.  But I think it’s a bit tin-foil-hat to attribute Duke not playing to some kind of personal preference of Daboll.

I look at coaches like school teachers of which many coached a sport.  They all have human biases which influences their decisions.  Does Daboll give preference to one player that clearly grades inferior to another player?  Most likely not.  But I would imagine in most situations that players probably grade closer to one another than we think which opens the door to personal preferences.  I'd like to think that Joe Fan can readily see the difference between two athletes but he does not spend the up close time to watch them in practice and the film room.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I thought 94 had a nice game.  

Back-up QB is a need; do we need a Vet with Josh going into his 3rd year, or can we go to a developmental asset?

The Duke stuff is overblown I think, he dropped a pass, or two, and looked slow.   

Neal played fairly well, I thought.

Houston

we lead the league in drops and Duke hasn't been playing

Duke also broke a tackle - the last time 19-10-15 has done that ?   hasn't been this year

Barkely is fine if needed....with back up all over in the pouring rain and not having played for 17 weeks hard to jump out there and look sharp. What was the practice rep break down? Josh did start

Corey Liuget has been a great signing looks a lot like the Phillips grab

Edited by CardinalScotts
  • Like (+1) 2