Week 17: NJ Jets at Buffalo Bills PostGame

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So you want to inactivate Foster and McKenzie in favor of Duke and Sweeney, is that what I'm hearing?

McKenzie is quietly the #3 WR (#4 target) on the team with a 69.2% catch rate.  2.6 targets and 1.8 receptions per game (would round to that).  That doesn't sound like a lot, but bear in mind we only pass an average of 32 attempts per game and the lion's share of the targets - 53% - go to Beasley, Brown, and Knox, rightly in my view.  McKensie has been used in the reverses and jet sweeps that were effective for us early this season, and has gradually expanded his route tree. 

I'm not sure that inactivating McKensie would be the right thing to do.  When he was inactive vs. the Eagles, I thought we missed him and the family of plays he brings.

Foster at this point seems to be playing for ST value (gunner) and for the possibility that if Brown went out he could (attempt to) replace him.

If you want to give Isaiah 2-3 jet sweeps a game, fine. But having him as your "so called" #3 wr is ludicrous. Leave McKenzie active as Jet Sweep Man and Return Man and deactivate Foster (who's worthless) for Duke. It's called common sense. 

On 12/29/2019 at 1:14 PM, Augie said:

Yep, for those who didn’t love Wallace, know that he’s out there because they think he’s better than the guys behind him....like McKenzie! Go figure! Didn’t see THAT coming.....

Ok, like in those commercials. Just ok....."look who got reinstated"....?

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If you want to give Isaiah 2-3 jet sweeps a game, fine. But having him as your "so called" #3 wr is ludicrous. Leave McKenzie active as Jet Sweep Man and Return Man and deactivate Foster (who's worthless) for Duke. It's called common sense.

Speaking of common sense.....it's common sense that if you want a jet sweep with McKenzie to be effective, he HAS to have a larger role in the offense beyond jet sweeps.  Otherwise he becomes a "tell": "Oh, HEY!  McKenzie's in!  Jet Sweep a'comin!"

You may feel that Foster is worthless, but that's apparently not what Heath Farwell (ST coach) believes.

In his presser linked above and here, Daboll was asked about Duke and TJ and Tommy (Sweeney) being active this week and how that's all "sifted through"

It's at about 4:28.  He says each week the coaches sit down, led by Coach McDermott, and discuss how each role is important for the team and they have to put the best guys out there whether it's a gunner, a punt returner, an R4, and that's collectively as a team, it's not just one unit.

So evidently what you regard as common sense - look just at the offense, and choose the best receivers - is not what the team regards as a "best practice".

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ok, like in those commercials. Just ok....."look who got reinstated"....?

Why does it have to be a wr for a wr? Why not deactivate Coleman the safety. He stinks and never sees the field.

If anyone has any question as to how much the coaching staff respects McKensie's skills and value, understand that along with all the gadget plays they use him for (far beyond just jet sweeps), when they are down a P/KR, they go with McKensie. When they want a third RB option, they go with McKensie. And on Sunday, when they were suddenly depleted of CBs, they went with McKensie.

I want Duke out there as much as anybody. But, anyone thinking that he will supplant McKensie, or that McKensie is "useless," is not paying attention.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

If anyone has any question as to how much the coaching staff respects McKensie's skills and value, understand that along with all the gadget plays they use him for (far beyond just jet sweeps), when they are down a P/KR, they go with McKensie. When they want a third RB option, they go with McKensie. And on Sunday, when they were suddenly depleted of CBs, they went with McKensie.

I want Duke out there as much as anybody. But, anyone thinking that he will supplant McKensie, or that McKensie is "useless," is not paying attention.

Agreed do not sit mckenzie

sit foster

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed do not sit mckenzie

sit foster

One thing that I have noticed about Foster is that on kick offs, and punts, he is usually the first player down to the ball. And, he has many times been the one to make the tackle. They use his speed on ST as a gunner, and I doubt they are going to be willing to give that up.

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I havent seen anyone call for Duke to take McKenzie's place... People are calling for Duke to take Foster or Senorise Perry's place

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

One thing that I have noticed about Foster is that on kick offs, and punts, he is usually the first player down to the ball. And, he has many times been the one to make the tackle. They use his speed on ST as a gunner, and I doubt they are going to be willing to give that up.

See I notice Neal making the plays, but not Foster

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

They ought to just list his position as Swiss Pocketknife

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

I havent seen anyone call for Duke to take McKenzie's place... People are calling for Duke to take Foster or Senorise Perry's place

I have in another thread, and I have read another call him "useless," and others clearly not understand his role, and/or value in this offense.

Edited by Rocky Landing

So when we are talking about Foster and his ST value, we are really only talking about his value as the gunner when the Bills punt. Apparently he is inconsequential in any real sense on both punt and kick off returns. So we are really talking about 4 to 7 plays a game. This leaves me feeling skeptical as to why he has been active just about every week. It’s an important position but I can pretty much guarantee you there are other players on this team who are active routinely who can fulfill that role.I’m inclined to believe the coaching staff believes he is a better weapon on offense than Williams.I have never been on the Duke bandwagon, at least until now.I do think Williams has shown that he can make a difference in a game in a way that Foster can’t. I actually don’t care who they sit but I think Duke needs to be active on Saturday.

20 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

can they not use McKenzie or Roberts as a gunner? 

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

McKensie's all of 165 pounds. I would assume that Foster has earned his spot on ST. Why else would he be active?

I would assume Foster has earned his spot on ST. I guess the question is whether someone else can fill in there with not a huge loss in production, so as to allow them to

activate Duke. 

I’ve never seen a gunner get so much “priority.” 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I would assume Foster has earned his spot on ST. I guess the question is whether someone else can fill in there with not a huge loss in production, so as to allow them to

activate Duke. 

I’ve never seen a gunner get so much “priority.” 

I believe that when you go down the depth chart, special teams becomes the priority. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

May as well at this point- the NFL all but destroyed them anyways. Return men don’t even have to catch the ball in the endzone anymore and down it- they simply let it hit the ground and the refs blow it dead. Human errors happen and a muff or mistake in the end zone could lead to a big play from the kick off team.

just think of the quality of backups we would have if we didn't have to spend them on special teamers.