Week 17: NJ Jets at Buffalo Bills PostGame

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

im glad they lost dont get me wrong, but it's just another jab at what should have been. Its like everything going right for us except one thing and the was us winning last week.

I guess I’m just not to the point where I expect the Bills to beat NE when Brady starts at QB. Ever. Way past the “ show me” point with that situation. My main concern for the playoffs ( aside from the Bills winning as many games as they can win the right to play in) is no Pats* in the Super Bowl. Today was a big step toward that happening. All about expectations being tempered by realism. 

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Daboll is an idiot if that's why he's snubbing Duke. Of course even if that's not the reason he's still an idiot.

Duke needs to be on the field. Maybe not every down but if he is used in the right situations he makes us better! Duke gets it done. Leave McKenzie or Foster on the bench. What more does this guy have to prove? If somebody says “yeah but the jets suck” then I counter with: what have Foster and McKenzie done in 15 games that Duke hasn’t done in the games he’s played? That answer my friends would be crickets.

• Like (+1) 1

Barkley was not good but he was playing with 2's and 3's and the OL was real bad with Bates at LT.  If we find a batter backup so be it.  

A few 2's played well.  Duke looks like he adds more than Foster.  Foster gunner status has helped him a lot.  Yeldon adds more than Sunroise (or whatever his name is).   Is McDermott willing to reduce our ST performance for better back ups?  

Bates looked bad as a OT.  Kroft is playing below Sweeney right now and did himself no favors. 

Gase and Greggo are very hate worthy  - I hope they stay with the Jets for awhile.  They suck. 

No one talks about the rain.  It was hard for either offense to do anything today.  

Let's get ready for Houston.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Sure, as a 3rd developmental guy. You do need a vet backup. A lot depends on where some of the former starters end up across the league. As Hapless said, it comes down to fit and willingness to not be considered to be the starter.

You don’t need a vet backup. You can definitely draft a developmental guy to better fit your starting QBs skill set. 

This game basically just reinforced how pitiful the Bills offense actually is, regardless of who's playing out there.  From play calling to execution to mistakes there's something on every possession that prevents this team from consistently scoring.  

1 minute ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

You don’t need a vet backup. You can definitely draft a developmental guy to better fit your starting QBs skill set. 

You absolutely do if you want to compete if your starter goes out for a quarter or a game or two.

Duke played well, but this staff is definitely favoring speed over anything else....and for the tight ends...that includes hanging on to the football.  Knox with 10 drops - wtf???

I agree Yeldon and Singletary should be doubled up, esp since we dont play two tight ends well - we can't run a decent screen, nor can our defense stop one. What's up with that?

RE: QB - that will def be a 4-5 round pick this year.  Personally not convinced Josh will ever get the long ball down, but I hear the point he doesn't have to - presuming all other aspects of the offense are working (see above points).

What would it take to get Bridgewater....lights a fire under Josh and gives us a money backup.....?  We're stacked with cap cash and picks.

WR, DE, OLB, QB.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ll take a shot at it!

Our backups went toe to toe with a team that has won 6 of the last 8 games. We had nothing to play for, yet we still played hard. Our offense might be a little under-manned, and then we removed ALL of the skill players from the equation. A first down might be cause for celebration, but Duke and Yeldon showed some flashes.

Also, other than Wallace, I think (and hope and pray) that we got out relatively unscathed, which was the primary objective today. The backups got some experience which may be helpful down the road in terms of growth and if there is an injury ahead of them.  That’s a win in every sense other than our record. 

On to Houston! 

I like what we saw from Sweeney and from Yeldon. Yeldon still scares me a bit with the way he carries the ball, but the positives outweigh the negatives and he is a play maker that can make the first few guys miss and then can pick up yards; Not to mention soft hands to take a dump off pass and make something out of it. Sweeney showed nice soft hands and toughness after the catch.

Williams showed what most of us know he can bring to the field. Toughness and size to pull in contested passes and the ability to stiff-arm and break tackles for extra yards.

As for Barkley, he shows why he is our backup. Good enough to move the chains, some great well-timed throws before receivers are out of their breaks that you want to see more from Allen, but then there was the lack of pocket awareness, the fumbles, and air mailing interceptions that were just enough to keep this team from cashing in on most their drives. He is good enough to fill in a pinch, but the loud calls earlier in the year from some here clamoring for him to start over Allen have pretty much been snuffed out by the reality of what Barkley can do when there is film out there on him and teams prep for him. I like him, but he has a place on the team - behind Allen.

Foster seems to struggle with some of his route concepts and never seemed to be on the same page as Barkley. I don't think that is all Barkley and would explain why he has had a hard time breaking into the starting roster even with his speed.

We had a pretty vanilla defense out there and our depth guys gave a hot Jets team with their starters everything they could handle. I like our depth, but still a bit concerned with our tackling in the secondary; too many short passes where the first guy misses. Not terrible, but could be better. It is one of the main reasons we struggle with NE and all their little dumps and screens - that first guy misses when those plays that should be stopped for a 1 or 2 yard gain end up a miss then 8 YAC and a 1st down. Wrap up, or grab a foot and hang on till help gets there. We need less guys launching themselves for some kind of bone crunching hit, and more guys using the sideline and wrapping up.

I thought that Liuget had a good game and played well against that inside runs and Siran Neal had a decent game although he was a bit over matched in coverage against the Jets larger receivers. There were more than a few poor passes by Darnold that should have been picks, but overall a decent effort by the secondary.

Even with all the focus on the offensive line this offseason I still feel like we lack quality depth there. Quite a drop from Dawkins on the left side and I cannot believe that Nsekhe was back out there after how bad that ankle roll looked a few weeks ago. Ford got dinged as well, but I don't think it was that serious. The Bills training and recovery facilities must be top notch, but Nsekhe is snake bit and got his leg rolled up on again. Feel bad for him as they were probably just putting him out there to get back into game shape and ease him back.

Overall a decent game and I understand the cautious approach, but am torn. You hate to see your team back into the playoffs, losing games while resting your starters. Tough call, but with a Greg Williams coached defense I probably would lean towards caution; the Jets players have been notorious cheap-shot players the past few seasons and I doubt they have gotten cleaner under Williams.

Shout out to Fitzmagic and the Dolphin's win over the Pats - nice. There were a few defensive wrinkles we can take from that game if we end up playing NE again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Duke needs to be active especially if were going in with a run heavy approach.  Yeldon needs to be active as insurance in case either starting back gets dinged plus he's a pretty darned good receiver out of the backfield. Can argue that Sweeney offers more than Kroft.  I dont know how well Sweeney blocks but were already using a spot for Lee Smith to block.  Next year hopefully all these arguments are gone once the Bills upgrade the wr and rb rooms

• Like (+1) 2

This game was nothing to get worked up about.  Barkley played p like a rusty back up.  Sure this team needs up grades but every team does.  They lost by seven to a team playing starters.  Many showed why they should be on the active roster.  Some showed why they need to be replaced.   That is the nature of the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I could see it if he wasnt making a contribution EVERY time he played this year

The guys who are playing in front of him have been invisible

Duke actually blocks for the run

To me Foster and McKenzie are the same guy

He is a play maker. He practices against one of the best corners in the league and has some polish in his routes that were not there early.

You play your play makers - I would also like to see more creative plays that leverage our pretty good TE group that gets Sweeney more involved.

Yeldon should be getting more touches than Gore.

Folks have to understand that our guys were not going up against the Jets backups, we have some play makers that have been sitting behind guys that are not getting it done. Daboll's personnel choices and penchant for using primarily smaller players has become somewhat predictable and stale. It doth boggle the mind because with Sweeney and Yeldon out there as well as Williams, one would think that there are a lot of creative plays he could draw up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1