If you could swap QBs with any team right now

Max Fischer

I think a helpful way to evaluate Josh Allen, his progress to date and his potential for the next few years is to determine which QBs you would swap for right now. 

My list:

1. Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Russell Wilson

That's probably it.  Yes, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are great but they are 42, 40 and 36.  With Josh, I believe the Bills are in a pretty good spot at QB. He "might" not get any better but over the past two season there is a lot of evidence he will continue to improve. No idea if he will lead the Bills to a Super Bowl over the next three years but I like our chances with Josh than any other QB but the three above. 

Edited by Max Fischer

Might be flamed but I’m not taking Jackson or Mahomes. One good year for each I’m not crowning them for anything in the future. 
They have stable coaching staffs, great great schemes. We have not seen what they do if they lose key pieces, or maybe a coaching change.. Mahomes while still good this season has not looked like he did last year, rather it’s injuries or the scheme not being as successful. Can he be this good if say kelce was traded or on IR? 
Can Jackson be as good if Roman gets a head coaching look in say Carolina? 
Im not taking either guy...... Yet. 
I would however trade Allen for Russel Wilson. Instead I’d prefer they just make friends and hangout together all offseason long. Allen should be modeling his game after Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Swap Jackson for Watson. There are days that I'd prefer Watson to Mahomes. Watson is already a seasoned vet as far as reading defenses and dictating offenses goes, where I feel that to a higher degree, Mahomes is helped out by scheming (and obviously Lamar is to a huge extent as well). 

I certainly think Lamar and Patrick can and will become great at this, but Watson already plays the game mentally like Rodgers and Brady. Brett Kollmann, the youtube football guy, has watched every snap of Watson vs NE and says that he's the only young QB Belichick refuses to cover-0 blitz against, because he knows Watson will read it and torch it. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I think a helpful way to evaluate Josh Allen, his progress to date and his potential for the next few years is to determine which QBs you would swap for right now. 

My list:

1. Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Russell Wilson

That's probably it.  Yes, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are great but they are 42, 40 and 36.  With Josh, I believe the Bills are in a pretty good spot at QB. He "might" not get any better but over the past two season there is a lot of evidence he will continue to improve. No idea if he will lead the Bills to a Super Bowl over the next three years but I like our chances with Josh than any other QB but the three above. 

I'd consider only Mahomes and Watson.  Wilson is too old - I'd rather have Allen for 10 seasons than Wilson 5.  And Jackson will be stopped as defenses adjust. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd consider only Mahomes and Watson.  Wilson is too old - I'd rather have Allen for 10 seasons than Wilson 5.  And Jackson will be stopped as defenses adjust. 

I'm with you here except that I would only take Mahomes.  Watson is very good but I see Allen closing in on him. 

Those wanting to take Jackson are nuts unless they specify the caveat that they would want a complete rebuild & redirection of the offense.  I think Jackson is doing great but you can't separate the unique offense he's in from his performance.  Put him in the current Bill's O and IMO Jackson flounders.

And I don't rule out the very real possibility that by the end of next season we wouldn't trade Allen for any other QB.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Maybe, but I don't believe he's clearly better than Josh Allen. 

At this current junction, Watson is clearly better than Josh....but him and the 3 you mentioned in the OP are probably it....I think the jury is still out on K Murray....but I wouldn't swap with Arizona at this point....