What to do at DE next year

Process

6 hours ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

With the bounty of talent the Bills have drafted in the last 3 drafts, I would not hesitate to trade to the GMEN 2# 1's and a 2nd for the the #2 overall this year and draft Chase Young.  Chase is a generational talent and will be on rookie contract for 4 years.

He’s Clowney all over again. If you want Clowney just go get him in free agency 

Ultimately we’ll know more after free agency. Need DE, WR, RT, CB, LB, K and P. We’ll see what they do. This is a great year for DE and WR so I hope we fill RT, CB and LB in free agency. Could see us using a few low round picks on K and P. At least that’s how I hope it plays out. 

RD1: Laviska Shenault, WR

RD2: Kenny Willekes, DE

RD3: Stephen Guidry, WR

Go corner, OL and LB in free agency.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

My worry is Shaq disappears after getting a pay raise. He's been solid this year but still a depth guy. Yet also have concerns with position long term which makes me look to the draft compared to free agency. 

Yeah, draft is likely imo.  I think we’ll have Hughes flanked by either Lawson or Murphy and a 1st or 2nd rd pick and johnson in as the 4th

23 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

The thing is even re-signing Lawson he's way better on the right side so we still need a upgrade on the left side.

He's built more like a LDE, but seems to rush better from the right, which he played in college.  I'd definitely re-sign him to play LDE and cut Murphy.

Btw, Shaq and Phillips have the most QB hits for the Bills, and it's not even close.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

So your plan is to get rid of all our DE's? Cool story.

Keep Lawson and make him a full time starter. Draft Hughes future replacement, train him (develop) like Lawson.

Literally said I don't think we should get rid of Hughes. Cool story, bro. 

Murphy is only a $1M hit if let go.... Saves roughly $5M that can be some of what it takes to resign Shaq, Shaq will probably get around $8-10M per tops.

Sign Bud Dupree (6’4” 260lbs) to fill in at DE on passing downs and could fit Lorax OLB role on run downs. Bud Dupree is gonna warrent $12-14M per. 

Plus draft a DE in the mid rounds. 

Hughes, Shaq, Bud Dupree, Johnson in 2nd year, Draft pick should be solid.

I also live Kamal Martin OLB Minnesota in the draft for this defense.

42 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think we need to upgrade the outside pass rush, Ideally I’d get Bud Dupree...he’s having a great year with 9.5 sacks (with 2 games left) sign him for about 15-17 million a year.  In the most recent Todd McShay mock he had Buffalo picking a WR, but still on the board was AJ Epenesa, sign Bud Dupree and draft Epenesa who I think could become Cam Jordan like, raw but big and athletic.  Let Shaq walk, release Murphy and move Hughes to the Lorax role, I think most of his contract is guaranteed so releasing him doesn’t help.

then address the OL in Free agency and get a WR both in Free agency and draft.

Side note, i know this is an unpopular opinion, but when KC releases Watkins, I’d sign him, with Buffalo’s medical staff they might be able to keep him healthy. A 1 yr prove it deal.

Then sign Conklin (9th ranked PFF RT, one time 1st team all pro) and Scherff (6th ranked PFF Guard).

$15-17M for Dupree is high. That would make him one of if not the highest OLB. The Market say $16M, but the dude has only had 1 good season.... this year. I’m saying $12-14M, maybe 4yr $52M....

6 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Ultimately we’ll know more after free agency. Need DE, WR, RT, CB, LB, K and P. We’ll see what they do. This is a great year for DE and WR so I hope we fill RT, CB and LB in free agency. Could see us using a few low round picks on K and P. At least that’s how I hope it plays out. 

RD1: Laviska Shenault, WR

RD2: Kenny Willekes, DE

RD3: Stephen Guidry, WR

Go corner, OL and LB in free agency.

RD 1 Curtis Weaver, DE

RD 2 Michael Pittman Jr, WR

RD 3 Ashtyn Davis, DB/RS

8 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Murphy is only a $1M hit if let go.... Saves roughly $5M that can be some of what it takes to resign Shaq, Shaq will probably get around $8-10M per tops.

Sign Bud Dupree (6’4” 260lbs) to fill in at DE on passing downs and could fit Lorax OLB role on run downs. Bud Dupree is gonna warrent $12-14M per. 

Plus draft a DE in the mid rounds. 

Hughes, Shaq, Bud Dupree, Johnson in 2nd year, Draft pick should be solid.

I also live Kamal Martin OLB Minnesota in the draft for this defense.

$15-17M for Dupree is high. That would make him one of if not the highest OLB. The Market say $16M, but the dude has only had 1 good season.... this year. I’m saying $12-14M, maybe 4yr $52M....

He'd be a full time end here, agree on the 4 yr 52 ballpark.

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I like Shaq just not at an overly inflated price.

Agreed.  If his price is inflated, I think murphy will be back along with a 1st or 2nd rd pick plus a couple lower priced free agents.  

Ngakoue is the only guy I’d pay big bucks too because he’s a legit replacement for Jerry

Just now, NewEra said:

Agreed.  If his price is inflated, I think murphy will be back along with a 1st or 2nd rd pick plus a couple lower priced free agents.  

Ngakoue is the only guy I’d pay big bucks too because he’s a legit replacement for Jerry

I agree Jerry needs to take a lesser roll (as no ready to cut him) but Ngakoue's size concerns me. If he was 260s I'd feel better.

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

So your plan is to get rid of all our DE's? Cool story.

Keep Lawson and make him a full time starter. Draft Hughes future replacement, train him (develop) like Lawson.

Bolded is what should be done.

Let Murphy go as well.

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We need a stud WR though more than a stud DE. Our defense is very good without great LDE play and I think there is a good chance we re-sign Lawson. Let Murphy go. Hughes is still very good. Spend some FA money on a pass rusher and draft a WR high. 

I wasn't taking free agency into account. If the Bills were to sign a DE before the draft, then I would be completely fine with going for a wide receiver in the first round.

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We need a stud WR though more than a stud DE. Our defense is very good without great LDE play and I think there is a good chance we re-sign Lawson. Let Murphy go. Hughes is still very good. Spend some FA money on a pass rusher and draft a WR high. 

Rookie WRs usually take some time to develop.  I'd prefer Bills sign a FA WR and draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd.  DE would be the other pick.  

I've always been a huge Hughes fan.   Another poster made the point today, that for whatever reason, other teams are allowed to hold Hughes without being called for a penalty.  We've know that to be true for ever, but this posters point was, we should move on from Hughes because of it.  

I'm in full agreement with moving on from Hughes now.  We can't allow our top pass rusher to be held every play without drawing any penalties.  He is taken completely out of the game because of it.