Todd McShay Mock Draft 1.0 - Video

wppete

50 minutes ago, BillsFanForReal said:

I don't buy that many WRs going that early. 

32 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I know this is supposed to be a great WR draft, but 7 in the top 23 seems absolutely insane. If it shapes up like that then there has to be some value at other positions that fell to 23. 

I think as of today, and McShay having to publish v1.0 today, all we really know about the upcoming draft class is that it's strong in WRs. Until the college season finishes out, and senior bowl, and combine... then we'll see the board move around as certain players make names for themselves and get noticed.

But this v1.0 in December is just a crap-shoot conversation piece. Don't take it too seriously.

The interesting part (for me at least) is, I watch a ton of college ball, made a point to watch WRs like Jeudy, Lamb, Higgins, etc and even went out of my way to catch some Colorado games for Shenault... but I hadnt heard of Aiyuk until now. So gives me someone else to look into and check out.

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I've looked at the free agent lists and honestly very few players have me interested.

I'd rather just keep doing what we're doing vs overpay top tier free agents. 

Keep nailing the draft, and keep adding guys on prove it deals who have talent but don't have big value usually because they're coming off injuries or out of schemes where they weren't really a good fit. 

I dont disagree, this definitely isnt a Mario year, or even a Maclin-watch year.

All I'm saying is if there is a FA player Beane thinks is top tier, we have the resources to go get him without having to sacrifice anything else. No need to limit yourself if the opportunity arises.

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Amari and OBJ were traded.. There wasn’t surprise cuts at receiver last offseason that I can remember. Lot of potential cut targets this offseason. Vikings aren’t keeping Thielen Diggs and Rudolph for one example. Some of the Jet guys may get cut loose, Chargers may fire sale depending on their offseason etc etc etc.. Too early to say there won’t be anyone in free agency 

Elite receivers rarely see the free agent market.

We either need to trade for someone, or (my preference) draft someone.

This receiver class looks historically good. Most big boards have 20-25 receivers in their top 100 players. 

With that much talent, I'd bet some guys slip as other positions are prioritized, and we might be able to pick up a 3rd round talent in the 4th or 5th round. 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont disagree, this definitely isnt a Mario year, or even a Maclin-watch year.

All I'm saying is if there is a FA player Beane thinks is top tier, we have the resources to go get him without having to sacrifice anything else. No need to limit yourself if the opportunity arises.

Fair enough, I guess I just don't see it happening.

I think our competitive advantage over the last two years has been signing guys to prove it contracts and them grossly outperforming their deals.

We appear to be a move or two ahead of most of the league in free agency, signing the guys no one else wants while other teams overspend resources on names who don't actually help them win games. 

I see us giving out a whole bunch of money to the guys who helped us make the playoffs twice in three years, and then signing another crop of Frank Gore, Kevin Johnson, Jon Feliciano, Ty Nsekhe, Tyler Kroft, etc. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Fair enough, I guess I just don't see it happening.

I think our competitive advantage over the last two years has been signing guys to prove it contracts and them grossly outperforming their deals.

We appear to be a move or two ahead of most of the league in free agency, signing the guys no one else wants while other teams overspend resources on names who don't actually help them win games. 

I see us giving out a whole bunch of money to the guys who helped us make the playoffs twice in three years, and then signing another crop of Frank Gore, Kevin Johnson, Jon Feliciano, Ty Nsekhe, Tyler Kroft, etc. 

Nothing is off the table with Beane. He was in talks with Pitt for AB, and Texans for Clowney. Any trends on our past moves were just to set us up to be ready for any opportunity.

Either way, in Mr Beane I trust

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Elite receivers rarely see the free agent market.

We either need to trade for someone, or (my preference) draft someone.

This receiver class looks historically good. Most big boards have 20-25 receivers in their top 100 players. 

With that much talent, I'd bet some guys slip as other positions are prioritized, and we might be able to pick up a 3rd round talent in the 4th or 5th round. 

I don’t know we need an elite receiver. I would be happy for an  Alshon Jeffrey or Keenan Allen type guy. Just below the elites with injury concerns. We want someone with reliable hands who can make clutch catches right? I’m ok with either option rather it’s trade or draft.  Our current state I think it’s smarter to just trade for someone at least we know what we’re getting as opposed to the crap shoot of developing someone and seeing the usual rookie mistakes. 
I was only pointing out we can’t say there won’t be anyone available when the season isn’t even over yet. Once gm’s and or coaches get fired lot of options can open up for free agency and trades. Some teams out there cap strapped and about to be taken over by new regimes may fire sale similar to us when Beane took over.

Edited by Rc2catch

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m ok with either option. Our current state I think it’s smarter to just trade for someone at least we know what we’re getting as opposed to the crap shoot of developing someone and seeing the usual rookie mistakes. 
I was only pointing out we can’t say there won’t be anyone available when the season isn’t even over yet. Once gm’s and or coaches get fired lot of options can open up. Some teams out there cap strapped and about to be taken over by new regimes may fire sale similar to us when Beane took over.

The pipe dream would be Julio Jones. 

Otherwise I'm cool with the draft. We want instant gratification, but having someone who can develop with Allen for the next 5+ years seems like the ideal situation. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nothing is off the table with Beane. He was in talks with Pitt for AB, and Texans for Clowney. Any trends on our past moves were just to set us up to be ready for any opportunity.

Either way, in Mr Beane I trust

Julio Jones is the only guy who I think could be available who represents little risk and huge upside.

He'll be on the wrong side of 30, but he's a really high character guy who would slide into our locker room and immediately upgrade the biggest hole we have on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jrober38 said:

The pipe dream would be Julio Jones. 

Otherwise I'm cool with the draft. We want instant gratification, but having someone who can develop with Allen for the next 5+ years seems like the ideal situation. 

Not sure Julio has 5 years left lol but he is pretty amazing. And god only knows what’s about to happen in Atlanta. Is just Quinn being fired or the gm too? They could easily move some pieces and try and get younger. Or hire a coach who wants to run the ball.

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not sure Julio has 5 years left lol but he is pretty amazing. And god only knows what’s about to happen in Atlanta. Is just Quinn being fired or the gm too? They could easily move some pieces and try and get younger. Or hire a coach who wants to run the ball.

He doesn't.

It's probably a 2 year band aide, but he'd give us a really good look at Allen and give us arguably the best WR group in the NFL. 

Jones, Brown and Beasley on the outside, with Singletary and Knox, the supporting cast will be there to support what should be a top 10 NFL QB.

I'd still grab another receiver in the mid rounds, too. 

If we stick to the draft, Tee Higgins or Justin Jefferson are the big deep threat targets we should be trading up for.

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

My money is on a complete house-cleaning in Atlanta. BUt even with a new GM and HC, I think the only 2 players who are completely safe are Matt Ryan and Julio (unfortunately).

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

wouldn't mind trading a 1st for a top WR. would look at one of the 2 WR's on the Bucs or OBJ. 

Trade for a WR and draft one in like round 3. this whole offseason should be focused on offense. I'll puke if we take a CB or DE in the 1st round and have to watch another bottom 5 offense next season 

OBJ will never be a Bill- mark it down. The dude is a nut job and doesn’t remotely fit the culture. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

My money is on a complete house-cleaning in Atlanta. BUt even with a new GM and HC, I think the only 2 players who are completely safe are Matt Ryan and Julio (unfortunately).

If they clean house, they should clean house.

Tear it down for draft picks, be really freaking awful in 2020 and go after Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields in 2021.

That seems like a no brainer to me. 

They'll be able to get a haul of picks for Ryan and Jones. 

The Bills should target Drake in FA to share some of the load with Singletary, sign their own and just kill this 2020 draft.

The Bills are good at manipulating the draft and coming up with quality talent.

Regardless if they win it all or not, the 2020 Bills should be a team with very few weaknesses.

One name to watch for in the the 2020 draft............... Bryce Hall CB Virginia. He is a perfect fit for what this team wants to do on the field and be a big part of "The Process"

39 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills have killed the NFL signing 2nd and 3rd tier free agents over the last few years. 

Their big money should be spent extending their own.

Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson need to come back. Matt Milano needs a new deal, and I'd even prioritize working out an extension for Trey White now. Those four guys will all require pretty serious money.

The Bills appear to be very heavily based on establishing a culture. At this point the culture is there. Like some of the best teams around the league the next step is to let people inside the building know that if you do your job you'll be taken care of financially. 

Keep going after cheap vets on 1 and 2 year "prove it" contracts, and if you can get the right 2nd tier guy (think John Brown) who fills a specific need and might be undervalued by the rest of the league, do it.

Then keep plugging away in the draft. Pick up another 2-3 year high end rookies and some more depth, and keep building out the roster. 

You've accurately described the Beane playbook.  There will be some decent FA's available that we don't know about right now.  Coaching changes, cap clearing, and skill fit issues will make players available that can help the team.  We just need to watch what Beane does in free agency and look at the remaining needs to get a good idea of his targets in the draft.  The "chase a WR with the first round pick crowd" may need to keep a box of Kleenex handy for all of their crying.  I expect him to get another good FA WR and draft a good prospect on day two because it is a very deep draft and rookie WR's usually take a year to be big contributors.  I say this because of the way Beane approached the TE need this year.  Kroft was the solid veteran to fill the hole and Knox and Sweeney are the value picks from a fairly deep draft class. With all of that said, can't we just wait until the off-season so that we can enjoy our second trip to the playoffs in three years? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I’m hoping for a house cleaning I like Atlanta. 
What wasted talent there. I can see them not going full rebuild and just trying to solidify the defense though. Seems to be the smart route. How can a team with Julio, Ridley, and hooper not be an offensive juggernaut? The defense has always been suspect. Hindsight they were only good with shanahan and been kinda crappy every other year 

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I will bet you anything. Buffalo will draft for depth. Every starting need to come in free agency

I am not positive on this

Yes we have 90 million in cap space but that is gonna disappear fast as we start signing these guys....especially on offense.   What I do look for them to do is not reach for need in the draft and draft best available talent.

I am hoping this year that comes in the form of a big physical fast wide receiver

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd rather see them stay at their spot, and use all of the 9 picks. Double-dip on WR. One in the 1st, and another around rounds 3-5.

Depends on where they are drafting.

if they are drafting in the low 20s thry could go up a couple or go down a couple

thry could trade down and thrn use what they got to trade up in the 2nd and say get 2 players in the top 45.

it depends on who is there and what teams do in free agency 

the concern area I have is buffalo losing some DL players and not replacing them.

i think they look at DE pass rushing type, WR, or OL.