Todd McShay Mock Draft 1.0 - Video

wppete

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just don't see the point in getting a WR unless he's significantly bigger than Brown and Beasley. Those guys are good and we need something that they don't have.

Hill doesn't strike me as a contested catch guy. He's a burner.

I have my eyes set on Shenault Jr 

that is the WR I want drafted at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Luka said:

6' 1" and 205 is fine but as you alluded to, size isn't everything. We need a receiver that is physical and can make a play on the ball. Our current group gets man handled against defenses like the Steelers and Ravens. Beasley all but disappears and Brown struggled against the Ravens because they were putting hands on him out of his breaks. Someone like Michael Pittman from USC or Tee Higgins from Clemson would be what I would want in the lower part of round 1.

Don't sleep on Antonio-Gandy Golden, that kid smoked UB and has some serious size. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Size has it's benefits, and I don't think anyone is arguing that... But size without separation and a play-making knack leads to guys like Laquon Treadwell, and KB and a lot of others that never made it. Same way speed without route running and ball skills leads to the John Ross's and Corey Coleman's of the world. It's all about finding the most complete player. 

Tee Higgins is one that I'm beginning to really like if Lamb is gone when we pick (which he likely will be)

I absolutely agree. But I don't want us drafting a small quick receiver high in the draft. If the right big receiver isn't there, draft a different position. Find a guy later that fits the mold. Don't draft a WR just for size, obviously. They have to be a complete package or close to it.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hey Bills fans meet your new WR 

he also Runs the ball

I have a sneaky suspicion that he will the guy if they get a crack at him and want to go WR, and I wouldn't be mad at all. I think Daboll will fall in love with the idea of running him on sweeps, and in the backfield, and moving him around like a chess piece. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hill doesn't strike me as a contested catch guy. He's a burner.

He's definitely a burner, but look at this highlight video:

Look at how many times the ball is hanging in the air between defenders and he goes up and beats them to the catch point. That's contested catches. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I absolutely agree. But I don't want us drafting a small quick receiver high in the draft. If the right big receiver isn't there, draft a different position. Find a guy later that fits the mold. Don't draft a WR just for size, obviously. They have to be a complete package or close to it.

But by the same logic- don't NOT draft a WR simply for his size. I want the big, huge catch radius guy if there's one to have... But if Henry Ruggs is there in the late 20's when we pick, I wouldn't hesitate to take him. It's about create an offense with multiple playmakers. If they want to grab a small guy cause he fits what they want to do, and then circle back in the 3rd or 4th for Claypool from ND, or The kid from Liberty. That's great by me. 

Just now, MJS said:

Can't just use Kelvin Benjamin as an example. He's out of the league (I think) because he doesn't want to work. His size is what kept him IN the league for so long.

There are definately inherent advantages to size. Obviously it isn't everything, but it helps. We need a more physical (and likely bigger) receiver to make plays in games where the refs let defensive backs do whatever they want, like in the Ravens game.

I used Hambone intentionally because of that. Any WR that’s 6’5” and running a 4.3-4.4 is going too 10 unless they have serious red flags. I could have used his Carolina replacements, James Hardy, etc. 

I agree with the physical aspect. Our small receivers don’t “play big” a la Brown, OBJ,  Steve Smith Sr, etc. Of course, neither did Benjamin. 

Where we’re drafting there will be some knocks on a prospect. Raw, disappears for stretches, shorter, slower, injury history, DII... something. My point was I hope they don’t rule out a 5’11” guy if he’s aggressive and has a big vertical. Those guys often end up being playmakers. A good example from the last draft is Deebo Samuel. Body control, hops, and a willingness to lay out for the ball can make a huge difference. 

But by the same logic- don't NOT draft a WR simply for his size. I want the big, huge catch radius guy if there's one to have... But if Henry Ruggs is there in the late 20's when we pick, I wouldn't hesitate to take him. It's about create an offense with multiple playmakers. If they want to grab a small guy cause he fits what they want to do, and then circle back in the 3rd or 4th for Claypool from ND, or The kid from Liberty. That's great by me. 

I would like Ruggs think he is gone. 

worry about Claypool ability to separate his timed speed at combine gonna be important 

I get the sentiment, but I would NOT draft a WR high unless he has size. I'd go somewhere else and circle back later for a WR with size. But that's my opinion and Beane likely has his own plan.

• Like (+1) 2

I know the Bills are having their best season in 20 years, and I am beyond thrilled about it.

BUT....

I can't wait for this offseason. I guess it's the Bills fan in me, having to look forward to offseasons moreso than seasons the past 20 years. I've also always loved the roster building aspects of football.

With $90 million and 9 draft picks, it's gonna be a really fun lead-up to free agency and the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I would like Ruggs think he is gone. 

worry about Claypool ability to separate his timed speed at combine gonna be important 

Oh yeah, he'll be gone in the top 15 picks, just an example. 

As for Claypool, that will be a big knock on him- that and lack of production (though crap QBing can help explain some of that away). The truth is that there just aren't that many 6'3+ 215+ men in the world that are fast enough to run by NFL DB's. There's a short supply of Calvin Johnson's, Mike Evans', and Julio Jones' in the world. So we might not get every attribute that we covet. Give me someone who plays strong, catches what's thrown at him, and is fast enough to make plays at every level, and I'll be happy. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

BOOK IT:  We will TRADE UP in the first round to land a coveted WR for Beane.  Beane is aggressive when it comes to landing what he covets, and there is no way he wont be targeting one of these potential studs that will go before our pick most likely.  This is assuming they are all still expected to go that high...clearly offseason workouts, combines, interviews, and even injuries could easily shift draft expectations for some prospects.  But TODAY...all the top ones are expected to go before where we will likely pick.  

The only real variable in my mind for this would be if Beane felt he landed his "guy" in FA...like say AJ Green for example.  If we sign AJ, something I think is a real possibility, then I think its less likely of a trade up unless it was for some other coveted player at another position.  Not saying he wont still draft another WR, even early, just saying I think its less likely he trades up in the first to do so.  

I just dont see any way we enter the offseason without WR (and one with at least some size compared to our top 3 guys averaging 5'10") as Beanes number one priority.  

Folks are gonna light torches when he trades up for Epenesa. ?

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know the Bills are having their best season in 20 years, and I am beyond thrilled about it.

BUT....

I can't wait for this offseason. I guess it's the Bills fan in me, having to look forward to offseasons moreso than seasons the past 20 years. I've also always loved the roster building aspects of football.

With $90 million and 9 draft picks, it's gonna be a really fun lead-up to free agency and the draft.

buy the edge. Draft the weapons. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

BUT....

It's going to be tough to make the team again. We're going to cut a lot of players that will get scooped up by other teams, similar to this past off-season. Maybe we can trade some more scrubs for low draft picks again too...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I get the sentiment, but I would NOT draft a WR high unless he has size. I'd go somewhere else and circle back later for a WR with size. But that's my opinion and Beane likely has his own plan.

That's fair. And if the top of the draft see's 3-5 WR's go, we might be better off waiting.