Todd McShay Mock Draft 1.0 - Video

wppete

8 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

That last sentence. 

A cornerback with our first pick when we have White and Wallace? Geeze. Is that the standard finishing sentence used for every team, or does he actually think we need a corner?

I'd want a linebacker over a corner. Someone to replace Alexander. Wouldn't hurt to have more linebacker depth as well. This defense suffered when Milano was out.

Corner would be way down the list, but it's true you can never have too many good corners.

My wants are:

1) WR

2) Oline

3) OLB

4) Edge Rusher

5) Everything else

Oh, and we need a kicker, but not sure we should draft one.

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

Well, Wallace is awful so...

That's an ill informed take... He had a rough couple of games and missed a tackle, but otherwise he's been pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1

Who we draft in Round 1 will probably be predicated on whom we sign in Free Agency. 

Considering the bounty of talent on the roster collected from both the last 3 draft's and FA classes, could easily see:

Trading out of round 1

Using draft capital to move higher in the draft to nail another cornerstone piece

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

6’1 205 is small? 

I usually knock off 2 inches of a prospect's size until proven otherwise at the combine.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd want a linebacker over a corner. Someone to replace Alexander. Wouldn't hurt to have more linebacker depth as well. This defense suffered when Milano was out.

Corner would be way down the list, but it's true you can never have too many good corners.

My wants are:

1) WR

2) Oline

3) OLB

4) Edge Rusher

5) Everything else

Oh, and we need a kicker, but not sure we should draft one.

Don't forget a punter as Bojo has been inconsistent all season.

19 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I would break something if they take a corner. And I would be pretty ticked if they took an edge rusher too, but I would understand it. 

Yeah, honestly this is not a difficult first round pick for this team.  Whatever you don't pick up in FA between a WR or pass rushing DE/LB is what you take in the first (mind you, if you are strictly picking by position...which I know is a big sin in the world of Best Player Available).  Second round is more debatable (replacement LB for Lorax, OL?), but I would stick to the above in round 1.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, he's 6'1 and 205. That isn't small small. It's not huge, but I think it's easy to get too focused on height. We need a bigger guy, yes, but we need first and foremost, someone who can consistantly make plays. My WR wish list is as follows: 

1- CeeDee Lamb, Oaklahoma

2- Jerry Juedy, Alabama

3- Henry Ruggs, III Alabama

4a- Tee Higgins, Clemson

4b- Laviska Shenault, Colorado 

After that there are a lot of guys with second round grades who I haven't really figured out who I like best.  

This is a great look at the top of the WR class for 2020:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864432-ranking-the-top-10-wide-receivers-of-potentially-historic-2020-nfl-draft-class

People focus on size a little too much. I’ll take a 6’0” guy with a 40” vertical and 4.4 over a K Benjamin all day.... Folks tend to forget that A Brown and OBJ are both under 6’. ?‍♂️. Size is just one way to get separation and isn’t important unless the guy plays big too. Now with that in mind, I’m against drafting a 5’8” smurf unless they have blazing speed. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Don't forget a punter as Bojo has been inconsistent all season.

I feel like he's been fine. Much better than most of us were expecting. I'd bring in some free agents to compete, but I bet he'd win the job again. He's young and developing.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's certainly not big...

We already have small guys who ball out. That's the problem. We need a receiver who can go be physical with bigger corners and make contested catches.

Let's not confuse height for contested catch skills. Kelvin Benjamin is 6'5, Tyreek Hill is 5'10. I understand your sentiment, but height alone isn't the best indicator. If I could chose any WR in the world to put on this team it would be Mike Evans cause he's the missing piece. But if Mike Evans isn't available and someone like Stefon Diggs is, I'll still take the player whose gonna make plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would love to see us trade out of the first round and pick up a 2021 1st rounder. 

Something like this?

Bills: 1st + 5th + 6th + 6th

for

2nd, 4th + 2021 1st

We'd have the following picks and still room to maneuver up and down the board.

2nd

2nd

3rd

4th

4th

5th

6th

Also keep an eye out for Denzel Mims... I have a weird hunch he is the WR that we end up with..

Edited by JGMcD2

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, he's 6'1 and 205. That isn't small small. It's not huge, but I think it's easy to get too focused on height. We need a bigger guy, yes, but we need first and foremost, someone who can consistantly make plays. My WR wish list is as follows: 

1- CeeDee Lamb, Oaklahoma

2- Jerry Juedy, Alabama

3- Henry Ruggs, III Alabama

4a- Tee Higgins, Clemson

4b- Laviska Shenault, Colorado 

After that there are a lot of guys with second round grades who I haven't really figured out who I like best.  

This is a great look at the top of the WR class for 2020:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864432-ranking-the-top-10-wide-receivers-of-potentially-historic-2020-nfl-draft-class

6' 1" and 205 is fine but as you alluded to, size isn't everything. We need a receiver that is physical and can make a play on the ball. Our current group gets man handled against defenses like the Steelers and Ravens. Beasley all but disappears and Brown struggled against the Ravens because they were putting hands on him out of his breaks. Someone like Michael Pittman from USC or Tee Higgins from Clemson would be what I would want in the lower part of round 1.

EDIT: Also, that link says that Greg Roman is the OC of the Bills lol

Edited by Luka
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's certainly not big...

We already have small guys who ball out. That's the problem. We need a receiver who can go be physical with bigger corners and make contested catches.

and certainly isn’t small. 

3 minutes ago, Purplebulldog said:

Brinks truck for Amari

no thanks. Brinks truck for the pass rusher draft the WR that is where the better value is in this draft

BOOK IT:  We will TRADE UP in the first round to land a coveted WR for Beane.  Beane is aggressive when it comes to landing what he covets, and there is no way he wont be targeting one of these potential studs that will go before our pick most likely.  This is assuming they are all still expected to go that high...clearly offseason workouts, combines, interviews, and even injuries could easily shift draft expectations for some prospects.  But TODAY...all the top ones are expected to go before where we will likely pick.  

The only real variable in my mind for this would be if Beane felt he landed his "guy" in FA...like say AJ Green for example.  If we sign AJ, something I think is a real possibility, then I think its less likely of a trade up unless it was for some other coveted player at another position.  Not saying he wont still draft another WR, even early, just saying I think its less likely he trades up in the first to do so.  

I just dont see any way we enter the offseason without WR (and one with at least some size compared to our top 3 guys averaging 5'10") as Beanes number one priority.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Luka said:

6' 1" and 205 is fine but as you alluded to, size isn't everything. We need a receiver that is physical and can make a play on the ball. Our current group gets man handled against defenses like the Steelers and Ravens. Beasley all but disappears and Brown struggled against the Ravens because they were putting hands on him out of his breaks. Someone like Michael Pittman from USC or Tee Higgins from Clemson would be what I would want in the lower part of round 1.

I'm right there with you. One guy who intrigues the crap out of me is Chase Claypool, from Notre Dame. He's practically a TE, but he gets plays downfield. 

10 minutes ago, Luka said:

Well, Wallace is awful so...

False. Blackbears.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

People focus on size a little too much. I’ll take a 6’0” guy with a 40” vertical and 4.4 over a K Benjamin all day.... Folks tend to forget that A Brown and OBJ are both under 6’. ?‍♂️. Size is just one way to get separation and isn’t important unless the guy plays big too. Now with that in mind, I’m against drafting a 5’8” smurf unless they have blazing speed. 

Can't just use Kelvin Benjamin as an example. He's out of the league (I think) because he doesn't want to work. His size is what kept him IN the league for so long.

There are definately inherent advantages to size. Obviously it isn't everything, but it helps. We need a more physical (and likely bigger) receiver to make plays in games where the refs let defensive backs do whatever they want, like in the Ravens game.

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah, honestly this is not a difficult first round pick for this team.  Whatever you don't pick up in FA between a WR or pass rushing DE/LB is what you take in the first (mind you, if you are strictly picking by position...which I know is a big sin in the world of Best Player Available).  Second round is more debatable (replacement LB for Lorax, OL?), but I would stick to the above in round 1.

I agree but with how talented the WR class is, there is a solid chance BPA will be a WR anyways. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

BOOK IT:  We will TRADE UP in the first round to land a coveted WR for Beane.  Beane is aggressive when it comes to landing what he covets, and there is no way he wont be targeting one of these potential studs that will go before our pick most likely.  

The only real variable in my mind for this would be if Beane felt he landed his "guy" in FA...like say AJ Green for example.  If we sign AJ, something I think is a real possibility, then I think its less likely of a trade up unless it was for some other coveted player at another position.  Not saying he wont still draft another WR, even early, just saying I think its less likely he trades up in the first to do so.  

I just dont see any way we enter the offseason without WR (and one with at least some size compared to our top 3 guys averaging 5'10") as Beanes number one priority.  

Man, I really hope this doesn't happen.... 

As it stands right now, there are about 10-15 WR's that would be first round picks in any other draft.... I want nothing to do with spending picks to get up and get a player at the deepest position pool. We did this the last time there was a thick WR class, and not only did we waste a pick, but we ended up getting the one bust of the group. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

and certainly isn’t small.

I just don't see the point in getting a WR unless he's significantly bigger than Brown and Beasley. Those guys are good and we need something that they don't have.

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Let's not confuse height for contested catch skills. Kelvin Benjamin is 6'5, Tyreek Hill is 5'10. I understand your sentiment, but height alone isn't the best indicator. If I could chose any WR in the world to put on this team it would be Mike Evans cause he's the missing piece. But if Mike Evans isn't available and someone like Stefon Diggs is, I'll still take the player whose gonna make plays.

Hill doesn't strike me as a contested catch guy. He's a burner.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Can't just use Kelvin Benjamin as an example. He's out of the league (I think) because he doesn't want to work. His size is what kept him IN the league for so long.

There are definately inherent advantages to size. Obviously it isn't everything, but it helps. We need a more physical (and likely bigger) receiver to make plays in games where the refs let defensive backs do whatever they want, like in the Ravens game.

Size has it's benefits, and I don't think anyone is arguing that... But size without separation and a play-making knack leads to guys like Laquon Treadwell, and KB and a lot of others that never made it. Same way speed without route running and ball skills leads to the John Ross's and Corey Coleman's of the world. It's all about finding the most complete player. 

Tee Higgins is one that I'm beginning to really like if Lamb is gone when we pick (which he likely will be)